Wen-kido-yin, Olijosman (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
Very Nice indeed!! I really like the colors and use of lighting. The details of the clothing make it look really exceptional.

07 July 2003
I agree with chewey and I think his crit was fine. Quandary One12 if someone doesn't want true crit than they shouldn't post. olijosman took the crit in the correct manner as well (god everyone seem overly sensetive these days on cgtalk). Anyay back to your piece. I also would have to agree that although the background is well excecuted it doesn't mesh well with the content of the character. A character with such style coulkd use a backgrounf that furthers his story.. I think the clothing is well extutes with exception to where the red armor meets the rest of the armor (at the end of the two red bands that go down and for circular holes or.. im not sure what they are). Anyway godd work jsut needs a little bit more before I would proclaim it a masterpiece

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Adam
I agree with chewey and I think his crit was fine. Quandary One12 if someone doesn't want true crit than they shouldn't post.

I also agree with Chewey's crit. However, this *is* such a thing as balance & diplomacy. He made no positive comments, and it was almost as though he was trying to go out of his way to be harsh & mean in contrast to the "fanboys". I think we should all try to follow the 121 rule that is used on the ZBrushCentral forums. Basically, you try to balance every negative comment with a positive one.

07 July 2003
no problem!

07 July 2003
Im sorry I don't want to turn his post into an area for somewthing quite different so this is my last comment in this thread

I think it is nice to get good comments but if you can't easily come up with a positive comment as easily as you came up with a negative comment (with a reason) then you shouldn't be pushed to find something that just isn't there for you as a critquer. I personally want comments that are just and honest. i don't want people giving me good comments simple because they didn't like part of my art in an attempt to make me feel more balanced in opinions. I want the truth. If i choose to listen to the crit is completely up to me but by me asking for crits I am throughing myself on the mercy of the community positive or negative.

07 July 2003
critiques aren't suppose to make you feel all warm and tingly inside. They're meant to be harsh sometimes, thats the only way some people can understand that their piece needs work.

I love your style olijo, and excellent lighting, but I agree with Chewie. The first thing I noticed was something was wrong with the head. At first I thought his neck was kind of long, but then it made me realize he just had a really big head. Overall nice job though.

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by BlueCougar
All the hard noses with critiques need to remember that this isn't the focused critique forum, This is the Gallery/Finished work so people can share the work they have created. If he wanted a critique he would have posted it in the Focused Critique forum. Just my 2 cents.

wait a minute so we can't criticize a pic if its' posted here anymore? the criticisms made were perfectly valid. The proportions of the arms and some other elements are too realistically rendered to match the cartoony style in other places. He said what he felt and I happen to agree with his crit.

Is this basically the ass kissing forum now where you only get to respond if you're gonna compliment something?

07 July 2003
olijosman

really good ligthing man, your work is great

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Hookflash
I agree with Chewey's opinions, but I don't approve of the condescending tone he used to express them. Overall, I think it's a very nice pic with a few minor flaws.

The critiques were direct and to the point and not condescending. There is no requirement that we all act the fanboy in the manner that we offer critiques

If you have a problem with my post and feel the need to make it personal, take it offline where it belongs.

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Adam
Im sorry I don't want to turn his post into an area for somewthing quite different so this is my last comment in this thread

I think it is nice to get good comments but if you can't easily come up with a positive comment as easily as you came up with a negative comment (with a reason) then you shouldn't be pushed to find something that just isn't there for you as a critquer. I personally want comments that are just and honest. i don't want people giving me good comments simple because they didn't like part of my art in an attempt to make me feel more balanced in opinions. I want the truth. If i choose to listen to the crit is completely up to me but by me asking for crits I am throughing myself on the mercy of the community positive or negative.

I agree. If you really like the 121 rule that is used on the ZBrushCentral forums then simply go frequent that forum. If you don't like critiques that are direct then don't post your work under the CGTalk>Critiques categories of forums.
(Note that the category includes the word Critiques.)

07 July 2003
cool stuff!!!!!
i like the impact ! its jsut excellent!!!! smooth and shiny ...good for posters and pinsups impact! character design again is good..simple and not too much detail!!! congraz for the front page!

Last edited by shaangfx : 07 July 2003 at 07:06 AM.

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Chewey
The critiques were direct and to the point and not condescending.

Well, maybe I'm just misinterpreting it, but it *seemed* condescending to me.

Several years ago, I spent *many* hours on a drawing of Conan the Barbarian. In retrospect, it wasn't very good, but it was better than anything I had done up until that point. I was quite proud of it. I showed it to my "artist" friend, and his response was, "The head and feet are too small". That was it. No "Nice effort, *but*..." or anything. He made me feel as though my drawing had no comendable qualities whatsoever. I was hurt, and I gave up drawing (until recently).

I am all for a good critique, but I think it's important to balance it with encouragement. I don't understand why you can't see where I'm coming from.

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Chewey
There is no requirement that we all act the fanboy in the manner that we offer critiques

I agree. I think fanboy comments, completely absent of critique, are just as harmful (albeit in a different way) as cold critiques devoid of encouragement. As in all things, balance is key, imo.

And, no, I don't wish to make this "personal".

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Hookflash
Well, maybe I'm just misinterpreting it, but it *seemed* condescending to me.

snip...

I don't understand why you can't see where I'm coming from.

Yes, you did "just misinterpreting it".

Don't expect the rest of us to see or really care where you're coming from.

07 July 2003
Quote: Several years ago, I spent *many* hours on a drawing of Conan the Barbarian. In retrospect, it wasn't very good, but it was better than anything I had done up until that point. I was quite proud of it. I showed it to my "artist" friend, and his response was, "The head and feet are too small". That was it. No "Nice effort, *but*..." or anything. He made me feel as though my drawing had no comendable qualities whatsoever. I was hurt, and I gave up drawing (until recently).
[/B]

then you are too weak mentally to succeed in anything if you rely on other people's compliments to do something you love for yourself. It's a valuable lesson everybody has to go through, from athletes to artists.

Thread Closed share thread