Superbad, Mike Thompson (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2008
I believe this piece took 4 days. The final res was 300 dpi at about 14" tall, but the client had me use a new pose and repaint the piece anyway. My latest image is the one the studio likes, it will print 36" tall. Just waiting now to see if it becomes the movie poster or not. I'll post the completed poster if it does.

Originally Posted by xllr8: how long did you spend?
what was the final resolution?

thanks,
@miketartwork YouTube

10 October 2008
Lovely work ... very nice

regards

10 October 2008
Its great work, but i'm curious...what movie poster could it be for? Obviously not for "Superbad" since that's long past. The illustration from an artistic standpoint is perfect, but he looks too young for me? It looks like you were using a photo ref of him at 13 or something? Anyway, thanks for sharing, I think he's a hilarious actor, and your process pics were great too.

10 October 2008
Originally Posted by Rabid1: Its great work, but i'm curious...what movie poster could it be for? Obviously not for "Superbad" since that's long past. The illustration from an artistic standpoint is perfect, but he looks too young for me? It looks like you were using a photo ref of him at 13 or something? Anyway, thanks for sharing, I think he's a hilarious actor, and your process pics were great too.

Thanks. Actually it's for an upcoming picture called "Youth in Revolt." Although the studio really liked the art, it seems like they might be going the photographic route now. This has happened to me on five films now and, well what can I say? It seems like the golden age of illustrated movie posters is a thing of the past. It's a shame since some of my best movie experiences and part of the reason I decided to be an artist were the posters I saw as a kid. Starwars, Indiana Jones, Blade Runner... Could you imagine if they just decided to take a snapshot of the actors and use that??? But that's just me, I'm bitter. hah.

As for him looking like a kid, that's the direction I was given. They wanted him to look young and nerdy. I have a feeling Michael Cera will be playing a kind into his 30's.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
@miketartwork YouTube

10 October 2008
Mike, i understand your pov. Soon they'll take the actors photos and apply a quick "illustrate" filter or something... part of the studio's plan to 'eliminate costs in this bad economy'. It is sad, i'm a fan of the classic posters as well, they always seem bigger than life.

"Youth in Revolt" huh, i guess that would lend itself towards a younger looking picture. Yeah he seems to be cementing his type-casted character as we speak. Although, it is strange that they would go with a photo of him, considering most of his movies are more artsy and culture related.

Anyway, its cool that you are invovled with these movies, your art is very professional and full of life. Looking foward to more.

10 October 2008
That's an amazing picture! I googled a picture of the real actor, and I can't believe how much you nailed the likeness!!!

The wrinkles in the shirt are so are realistic!!!

**** for sure

10 October 2008
Perect

Perfect execution.

Congratz

10 October 2008
Thumbs up You are a technician!

Good Good Good Good Good

Last edited by TheBestExpert : 10 October 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I mislooked this picture.

11 November 2008
Talking

So real.Like an oil painting.Is there any problem on his left hand ?

11 November 2008
Just a fantastic piece of work Mike!! I'm a big fan since encountering some of your earlier caricature pieces...you're an inspiration!

11 November 2008
Talking

Very realistic! I could never manage to use Painter to make so clean and detailed work!
I prefer a bit more painterly looking backgrounds though. But appart from my taste the picture seriously rocks!!

11 November 2008
Talking

wow~
I am so love it(sorry,bad english)

11 November 2008
Thumbs up GOOD Job

suporbly done, i am sure ur client will be more happy to get his work done so nicely

5*****

11 November 2008
Looks good great work.

12 December 2008
Thumbs up

very nice man is cooooooooool

Thread Closed share thread