“Keep a Sharp Eye”, Ron Crabb (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #61
Wink :)

The color and light is just amazing. Well done. I cannot wait to see more of your work.

CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot | My YouTube

Old 03 March 2008   #62
Thumbs up

Wow... The image doesn't do itself justice. You took so much care to detail, that it can only be fully appreciated if one zooms in, as the plugged thumb is on the front page. Otherwise that fine detail is lost in the image. Though its still stunning none the less. As someone else said, each character could be expanded and stand alone as an amazing work of art.

Its things like this that make me sad, as I wish I could pull images from my head and make them real like this. But then the way you talk about telling stories through art, it can only inspire.

I hope you'll be able to take the time to dive into your techniques and write some tutorials some day, and explain how you can take a blank canvas and create something like this with Photoshop and some geometry. I'm sure many people would benefit greatly from you and your experience.

Old 03 March 2008   #63
Talking Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the kind words and support! It's awesome to be able to link to such a massive art community and get feedback and great crits. In fact, I've already applied the critiques to the image (all were valid) and it can be found in my portfolio (thumb with REVISED on it).

I'll try to answer some of the posted questions and when I can post attachements (not allowed to yet) I'll show some WIP images so you can see more of the process.

About the Cinema 4D: All that was done in C4D was the boat (just to get the curved lines right). I don't know if it's a good thing but since I started using 3D for my Port Blakely work I've fallen in love with the precision of using it for layout of architectural/constructed objects. Is it a crutch? Probably. But a very useful one. I like leaving it basic and then adding detailed structure and lighting by hand but I did use it sparingly on this one so I mentioned it.

It's fair to say though that this is 99.9% Photoshop.
I'll expand a bit on the process when I can post some images with it. It's pretty straight forward really.

Let me also say that I'm finding all the work here very inspiring and challenging. There's some awesome artists out there and I will utilize you for inspiration and WIP critiques. I'll thank you all in advance for making me a better artist.

(OK, I think I need to post a couple more before I can use the attachment function. I'll do that soon. But back to work in the meantime)

Ron Crabb

Old 03 March 2008   #64
Hey, that is a perfectly respectable way to use a 3D program.

I wouldn't call it a crutch. I know a lot of people rely on it a lot more than you used it here.

Anyway, thanks for the info. And like I said - beautiful work.

Old 03 March 2008   #65
Awesome revisions Rob.

Old 04 April 2008   #66
simply awesome. ..jsut one thing the edges of the boat seems fairly smooth, too smooth i guess, could have roughed up those a bit, would add to the drama. amazing work nne the less. 5 stars

Old 04 April 2008   #67
Talking

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, oh and did I say beautiful

Old 04 April 2008   #68
huuu ! ! excellent ligths .. . very fairy !
superbe

Old 04 April 2008   #69
wow, thats all really, just superb!

Old 04 April 2008   #70
Awesome! It's very impressiv. just one critics if i can (just a detail): the fire is not as realist as the rest of your picture. And the girl is far and would'be less lighted than the two other guys.

Anyway, great picture. Five stars!

Available for freelance

Old 04 April 2008   #71
Originally Posted by crabbman: It is meant to inspire writers and storytellers as well as those who just like to daydream to come up with a story to fit the image.
Wow. I want to read that book. Quick, somebody write it!

Old 04 April 2008   #72
lighting

What factor did Cinema 4D have if you did the entire image as a photoshop painting?

Curious,

Michael Angelo

Old 04 April 2008   #73
absolutely FANTASTIC! great work Ron. very solid! I just love the lighting in this one!

5 stars!

Old 04 April 2008   #74
The Cinema 4D part

I probably should have left the Cinema 4D reference off but I did use it for the boat to make sure I got the curves right. Boats can be tricky from certain perspectives. It was just a rough model and then I completely painted over it.
Regards,
Ron

Originally Posted by michaelangeloart: What factor did Cinema 4D have if you did the entire image as a photoshop painting?

Curious,

Michael Angelo

Old 04 April 2008   #75
wow, we have a new desktop. The lighting, and expresisons... fantastic stuff.

Thread Closed share thread