Troll Crossing, Michael Dashow (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Very, very nice, Mike...Brilliant!

10 October 2007
Hi, everyone! Thanks for the great replies! Glad everyone is liking this piece...

bao - It's not exactly a cover, it's just aportfolio piece made to look like a cover. If you want book-cover jobs, it's always good to demonstrate not only that you can paint well but that you understand the layout necessary for books, i.e. leaving blank spots for title, author's name, etcetera. Specifically, this is designed to be a book for teens/tweens, and they tend to have pretty simple compositions with the main character(s) front and center, which is why I went for such a simple, symmetrical compsition, to try to look like one of those books.

LS Knight - Sounds like a great idea... I'm already onto a new piece, so you should get to work on it! (They key will be in conveying the point without anyone even needing to read the title.) Have fun!

Nick - Thanks so much, that means a lot, especially coming from an artist of such caliber as yourself - I really enjoyed your article on children's book illustration a couple of issues back, which is of course exactly what this was intended to be, too. As for effortless... Ha! I need to stop falling in love with compositions that involve dozens of bad-guys!

[plug] For those of you who haven't seen the IFX article, it's about my incredibly intensive and insane way of setting up dozens and dozens of layers in Photoshop to comp my colors. It lets me make dramatic palette changes rather late in the game before I flatten everything in order to get just the right (imho) color scheme. In the article, you can see pretty much this exact same painting with 5 completely different color schemes and compare them. Anyhow, if it sounds interesting, check it out! [/plug]

-mike

10 October 2007
Great work Michael, I particularly like the expressions on the trolls. There's a lot of life in this piece. 5 stars

11 November 2007
Sassy! Just.....sassy!

11 November 2007
Walrus,

so when you do an article for IFX, do they throw in a life subscription? :-)

I wish I could do 1% or the ideas that come to mind but I have to pick a choose. Right now I'm doing some illustrations for a game company and my ambition is, as usual, a bit beyond my skill. But then that's forward movement, right?

I think she would have to have a very special look on her face; looking at him trembling wide-eyed under his shining iron out of the corner of her eye, a smirk on her lips and an eyebrow raised, her stance relaxed but confident. I'll bet if I tape up my glasses, wear a white colar shirt and go to a bar, find the hottest hottie there, and ask her out, I could capture that exact expression on my camera phone.

"Hold that," click. "Thank you."

11 November 2007
Ah there it is, I was wondering when it would show up officially
I can only echo Nick's comment. You know how much I love your style Michael <3

Shameless hijack, Bao: What is that in your avatar? Is that a painting or a picture? That squid thingie just looks super awesome

Quote: so when you do an article for IFX, do they throw in a life subscription?

haha I wish - that would be awesome

My website

11 November 2007
LSKnight - I think they throw in a free issue - but it's been a moot point lately as it's such a great magazine, I have my own subscription. Anyhow, good luck with that painting!

Tascha - Thanks again for your help and input while I was working on this, it was much appreciated. Glad you like how the final piece turned out!

11 November 2007
Great!

Wow!!

Excellent use of a secondary color palette, Michael

Love the slightly shortened focal length of the composition also

Thanks for sharing!

cheers

Chris

11 November 2007
wow! great stuff mate! keep up d good work!

11 November 2007
Makes me miss my childhood. Very Pure Fanciful Adventure.

11 November 2007
I love images like this. I'm so over the 'perfectly beautiful people in skimpy clothing' type fantasy art.

Now I want to read this story! Wish there was one.

11 November 2007

wow !

You could do an illustrated book out of that !

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

11 November 2007
Wow, nice work walrus. I love all the details you put in, and it is indeed a great color palette.

How much time did this take you to finish? (from the first brush stroke, sketching not included)

11 November 2007
Hi Michael, that is correct, you should show utter contempt in the face of evil. Such a great piece, thanks for sharing.

CML

11 November 2007
wow, that's fantastic. great characters and the lighting is really sweet!

Thread Closed share thread