Magic, Phil McDarby (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2007
Thumbs down

I'm a little bit afraid...

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

intresting! give me some kind of mystery feeling!

05 May 2007
Very nice image.

The repost was a big improvement, though I agree with Elpha that there is still too much distinction between the foreground and mid-ground. I think that it's because the focus and saturation both take a pretty big jump from one part of the picture to the next. Also, the rim lights on the top of the tree stump buildings and moss on the edge of the bank act to split the picture in two and don't seem to have a source. The rim light on the girl is a little hard too, considering how far back she is from the light source.

Again, nice image. It's made stronger by the whole series, which is really great. Congrats on the award!

05 May 2007
Enchanting piece. It draws me right in.
The Herne figure does look a bit foreboding looming in the bg. It adds drama and tension. He must be a towering figure if those antlers he's wearing are from the extinct Irish Elk (Giant Deer).
Great job.

05 May 2007
wow, this image really appeals to my eyes, awesome composition and great taste of colors, you're really hitting the button with this one, buddy, keep it up.

05 May 2007
great worl, congratulations

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

Heel Mooi!
Very Beautiful!

05 May 2007
Very nice work... it's fantastic.
Congratulations.

I love Ireland...

05 May 2007
aaaaaaawesome! all elements of this work are perfect!

06 June 2007
Great lighting and atmospheric perspective.

Facebook

06 June 2007
I really love this picture. It has a great atmosphere and a certain ominousness about it. This picture will be my desktop background for a long time. 5 stars!

06 June 2007
very nice one. It almost looks like a photo. how long did this take you?

06 June 2007
Wow. I honestly haven't a clue where the photographs end and the paintings begin. It's quite the testament to your skills.

06 June 2007
wow!
it's magic!

great picture!

Available for freelance

06 June 2007
Thumbs up Very beautiful thanks sharing!

Originally Posted by PMD:
Title: Magic
Name: Phil McDarby
Software: Photoshop

Hi everyone,

This is the third of a 'Childhood' trilogy that I've been working on called 'Imagine, Wonder and Magic'.

I created the background image of the fairy village (Faerieholme) a couple of years ago - I tried to create a fantasy forest by selecting aspects of 50 or so forest shots that I took - a tree here, moss there etc, and build up tons of layers (68!) to create something new. The buildings are the same stump from three angles, for example. Anyway, I always felt like it lacked something.

I've been wracking my brains trying to find a way to finish my trilogy, knowing it was a little girl and her dog (and her bike ) but not really sure how to get there - and this is what emerged over the last few days. One found the other! The bike, dog and girl are seperate manips from sxc.hu (will post a montage strip when I get a chance), and there is a huge amount of painting and lighting around them. Other watchful presences were also painted.
Anyway, thanks for looking, it has been a cool experiment creating these images, trying to capture something of the magic of childhood.

Cheers

Phil

Thread Closed share thread