Fairy Queen 'the Blue Hour', Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Her face and beck looks weird....

But, it's absolutely great!

02 February 2003
wow that is awesome, very nice. That is a digital painting right? It really looks like it's done traditionaly

02 February 2003
Wow.

You should really get a web site where you put all of your work... It would be a great source of inspiration.

02 February 2003
Your work is...

very nice digitally but i think if these were acutal paintings done w/paint on canvas it would be even more impressive. the only reason i say this is because there are no mulitple undos or layers to save you from your mistakes

your work is still good nonetheless.

i prefer to see actual figure drawings studies instead.

02 February 2003
jo, OMG arj!! you are... a fkng guy.

02 February 2003
keep em coming Steven, I can't even find anything "wrong" with this one. I really love the tranquility of the entire scene. The warmth of the sun is so refreshing and nice, especially this time of the year here in Cananda .

Love it!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very very nice work!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - which you are now placed

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

02 February 2003
That's beautiful and surreal in a very nice way.I still would like to see it in true 3D space however. That would be a heavenly site from all angles.But still what you do have here is Wonderful.

02 February 2003
Thanks everyone!!

This is Photoshop 5, sorry haven't tried either PS 7 or Painter or any other... Straight 'out of my head' except for a reference of a thigh/calf I used. The time in actual hours - hard to say, maybe somewhere around 1 - 2 hours each day, between other paying stuff. So maybe about 10 hours.

Stzaske - oops and arg!! Embarrassing. To make such a silly mistake in public. (wrote 02 instead of 03) Well fixed it now.

PokeChop - I think I do find 2d a little more rewarding now because in 3d I'm frustrated by my tools to a much higher degree. Obviously there are some rewards unique to 3d, but those tools...

DevonH - I've been painting and drawing all my life, but just these last 2 or 3 years seriously in Photoshop.

Raven - your comparison is missing something. If I was doing this in real media I would spend much more time on the sketch. And then probably do a color sketch, perhaps several.

The grain is just the noise filter, I wanted to break up the smoothness of the sky and also give the impression of a low-light photo situation.

Here's a link to a higher res version without the grain:
http://www.androidblues.com/fairyqueenhires.jpg

02 February 2003
oh my good lord.

02 February 2003
its all constructive...

criticism... i dont think my comparison is missing anything. it is always easy to do an illustration in photoshop than to pick up a brush and paint. i know i was an illustrator. artist like skip liepke, john singer sargent, da vinci, etc. are true "maestros". we merely try to get there. these are artist who study light, color, human anatomy, composition, philosophy, etc... every moment of their lives(literally)

leonardo once said you are only a second rate artist if cannot draw the human figure correctly. that's why we see so many anatomical study drawings from him.

im just implying that a lot of people who do digital art tend to forget the basics of art and art history.

your work is good on a "technical" level. thats all im saying.

02 February 2003
Stahlberg, where'd you learn how to paint 'digitally'? I've looked and looked but haven't seen anything that makes photoshop come out lookin' like a painting.

02 February 2003
Re: its all constructive...

Quote: Originally posted by Raven
...it is always easy to do an illustration in photoshop than to pick up a brush and paint...
Most real artists (I'm not one myself) find that just the opposite of this is true. It is much easier for them to sketch/draw/paint in a traditional medium than create something in photoshop or a 3D app.

Like in photoshop, most traditional medium have layers and "Undo" tools as well. For a pencil it is called an "Eraser" for a painting it is called "over-painting". Most painters I know paint in "Layers" and mix the layers together to get more interesting results.

Quote: Originally posted by Raven
...your work is good on a "technical" level. thats all im saying.
I find Stahlbergs work better than just on a technical level myself. His still images almost always evoke an interesting mood. I think this is even more true of his 2D work.

Last edited by slaughters : 02 February 2003 at 08:48 PM.

02 February 2003
im not here

to offend anyone. everyone is entitled to their opinion. but you're wrong when you say traditional mediums are have the same undo's and multiple layers. if i was doing a painting and i had many layers of glazes -- i can not go back and take away the first layer once its dried now can i???

you're terribly mislead and misinformed.

photoshop has the color palette readily available. not everyone can mix paint and apply with such precision and skill.

as for 3D. not many can grasp xyz so its not the issue here. anyone can take a real picture -- manipulate it in photoshop and call it their own work. like i said, traditional mediums are much harder to grasp than clicking buttons in photoshop. as the saying goes..."give them photoshop and they think they're an artist" LOL...

and not to discredit stahlberg's talents. his work is good. but im not here to pat everyone on the back and give them a big head.

03 March 2003
Thanks for letting me know how "terribly mislead and misinformed" I am.

Most of my paintings were done in oil, acrylic, and water colors. When a mistake was made I was able to re-mix and blend on the oil painting befiore it dried. With acrylics I was able to over paint and start that part over. With water colors I was able to thin, blend, and then blot out the mistake.

Neither of these are the point though. Let's try something more productive than simply bickering at each other. Do you have a link to any 2D photoshop painting which you do consider art ?

03 March 2003
I'd never said....

2d photoshop work wasnt art.

i dont have any favorite links. i'd still prefer the traditional mediums when it comes to painting. To me the -- good raditional artist still beats the digital artist in many ways. after awhile most 2d digital art all look the same. same goes for airbrush work

some of my favorite artist are...

Malcolm "Skipe" Leipke
NC Wyeth
Hildebrandt brothers
Richard MacDonald -www.richardmacdonald.com
John Singer Sargent
Bo Bartley
and of course most of the Renaissance artist.

Thread Closed share thread