Abduction, Steven Hägg-Ståhlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: Thanks guys!
About references, well, to some it seems more important to show off visual memory skills, than actually ending up with the best possible image... but I just can't compromise my vision like that.

Furthermore, as I already mentioned, many many more artists than the general public know, have made extensive use of photographic reference, both on this forum and throughout history. I'm sure if Michelangelo was around today he'd be using a camera too.
http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2006/...opraphs_06.html

Geesh dude, where were you with this bit of information when I was fighting for my cajones in the 3D human realism thread? Regardless, you are a one man churn factory of great work. I do find it kind of funny that you used yourself as reference though.

12 December 2006
Great job as usual, I really love the way you create water around her, fantastic^^
Five stars from me!

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Chupacabra: Hello,

I'm sorry if i started a flame war, that wasn't my intense. If i wouldn't respect You, i would never dare to critisize your work. Using reference is a necessity for a perfect anatomy.
Yes, Michelangelo did it and everybody else as well.
But tracing a photo (mostly with color picker) is nothing special. Try doing that with oils or acryl. Or even worse, try doing it with watercolors...

So Steven, no offense here, it's just my personal opinion.

Let agree to disagree

Best regards,

I don't think you understand the difference between using reference and merely copying the reference. Do you understand that they are two very different things? Why do you think that painting over a photo, copying a photo by tracing/color-picking, and using photos are references are the same thing? Can you explain that?

12 December 2006
i love it...

the thing with the reference is a good lesson too...

12 December 2006
Reference or not reference!

Look at all the fancy illustrator vector based art that is in the hype right now, all being Live Traced with modifications. I think it looks great! One of my favorite artist Anders Zorn used photos as reference.
Its not the matter of tracing its a matter of creating a unique style of painting with reference.
Strokes and colour!
You need to be a great artist and have a sense of seeing the shapes even though you are using a reference or tracing a photo.

Very nice work, I have always loved your work Steven.

12 December 2006
she's awfully dry after all that jacuzzy time , hmmmm makes you wonder j\k

great work, no doubt

edit* only now did i start to read the thread, alos i had the same sensation as maidith at first glance. good thing, bad thing? i dont know,

Last edited by Raul-Reznek : 12 December 2006 at 11:56 AM.

12 December 2006
Bravo bravo. thanks for the simle! lovely light. Amazing work as per usual !

Many Many Many stars well 5 to be exact.

regards
Liam

12 December 2006
hey dude nice to see u finish this, good piece!

Originally Posted by Raul-Reznek: she's awfully dry after all that jacuzzy time , hmmmm makes you wonder j\k

yea maybe they're just putting her there, with a wobbly tractor beam that tends to
toss things around a bit, sayin like "Hey buddy, here's one for you too, Merry Christmas!"

---

ps. why does the dude in the pool look more like snowkiwi than the dude in your ref?

12 December 2006
absolutely amazing! Such a combination of visual power, humor, erotic and storytelling is just perfect...

12 December 2006
lol dude! she;s being abducted not... donated hahaha

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Raul-Reznek: lol dude! she;s being abducted not... donated hahaha

o yea.. well then it's prolly just one of those older beams with the side effect of
blowing hot air downwards

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Chupacabra: But tracing a photo (mostly with color picker) is nothing special. Try doing that with oils or acryl. Or even worse, try doing it with watercolors...

You have something to crit on the severity of this piece, that´s your absolute right, but I don´t believe it´s "nothing special", so, your time to prove what you say wholeheartedly.

I want *YOU* to do it. Take references, trace the photo mostly with a color picker and show it to us. Let´s then compare your image to this. And don´t tell me "I never said I could do it...". When it´s nothing special everyone should be able to do it.

Otherwise, see the CGTalk advice: Think before you post.

Now, back on topic: Hell of a piece! Great style (I instantly knew it was a Stahlberg), great detail and perfect composition. I was also first wondering what the exact situation is, within water or what´s the deal?

Anyway, my crit would definetly be the anatomy of the woman. The back is simply too long. That caught my eye in the very first look and it distracts me from the rest of the piece.

Best
Samir

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Designer: Anyway, my crit would definetly be the anatomy of the woman. The back is simply too long. That caught my eye in the very first look and it distracts me from the rest of the piece.

you did check the ref pic?

if u overlay em two pics the backs are prettymuch same length

culd be my eyez tho

12 December 2006
I remember seeing this in your JB thread and I liked it then and I like it even more as a finished piece Great work Steven. I really appreciate that you posted the reference too, it shows people how it should be done. I wish more artists would do that... Anyway, awesome work as always!

Btw (and this totally OT), is it just me or have you changed your name under your avatar? I don't remember the good old swedish characters being there before

12 December 2006
Great pic again, Steven I really like the idea and composition. Great colors too, this blue highlight on skin tones is becoming your signature it seems

About the ref "debate" .. woaw.... people here give too much importance to "brushing technique" or "hand-eye coordination", feels like they don't give any credit to idea, composition and the overall illustrative construction - which is 95% of the piece in my opinion.

A lot of people can mindlessly copy almost perfectly a photo - but very very few can make interesting images beyond the technical aspect, using refs or not (or hell even tracing if it goes faster and makes you get to your goal).

(actually I think that at a certain level of quality that you want to achieve, NOT shooting/finding refs is more lazyness than anything else....personally, I wish I used more refs, but I just prefer to draw from my mind because it's quicker...but the quality is not on par with what I could do with carefully chosen refs )

Last edited by mv : 12 December 2006 at 02:11 PM.

Thread Closed share thread