Abduction, Steven Hägg-Ståhlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2006   #46
wow Steven! u literally blown me away. Im so happy (as many others) to see that magnificent piece finished. I have been wathing guy's expression for at least 10 minutes and I know I'll come back to watch it some more... its just so alive and real. And at first I thought its completely 3d, but just now I find out thats under 2d section. I hope to see more of u soon again. Best regards!

DW V 2d

Old 12 December 2006   #47
Stunning effects and mood.
Awesome masterpiece!

Old 12 December 2006   #48
nice job done steven.
*the one on the right is definitely better*

Old 12 December 2006   #49
Thanks guys!
About references, well, to some it seems more important to show off visual memory skills, than actually ending up with the best possible image... but I just can't compromise my vision like that.

Furthermore, as I already mentioned, many many more artists than the general public know, have made extensive use of photographic reference, both on this forum and throughout history. I'm sure if Michelangelo was around today he'd be using a camera too.
http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2006/...opraphs_06.html

Old 12 December 2006   #50
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: I'm sure if Michelangelo was around today he'd be using a camera too.
http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2006/...opraphs_06.html

amen to that!
to those who criticize the use of reference - try copying a photograph just by looking at it - not that easy and adding your own touch to it is even harder!

Old 12 December 2006   #51
Talking This is really GREAT..

WOAH.. Mr. steven.. this one was way beyond comprehension, lolz with that quality of crisp work i really can't sa no 5 STARS!!! .. hehe i'm such a fan of ur work..
the lighting damn blew me away.. ehhe the design principles and elements do work harmoniously.. damn..
My GOD this is marvelous.. the degree of realism(lolz the scene is scifi) of it that not that many can express..
I have to agree of the use of reference.. lolz. isnt technology be used to make our work easier..
thx for showing the reference.. i have to quote what others say.. It's EVEN very hard to add a touch in photo to make it ur own.. wahh GREAT job..

Originally Posted by Stahlberg:
Not to mention that I researched and hired a pro photographer and model for this shoot, and directed them (for hours).

Woah, that is what i call professional.. hehe..

Last edited by Reverence : 12 December 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Old 12 December 2006   #52
Your painting technique always blows me away. Incredible skill, Steven.

As for the image, it's very interesting. At first, I actually didn't see that something is abducting her from the hot tub, some extraterrestrial force maybe? The title implied to me that one of these two people was abducting the other, but their shocked expressions didn't quite fit it. Actually, I thought at first, they were both under water and at first sight it looked like she was a mermaid abducting the fisherman, like in a poem by Goethe.

Great work!

Old 12 December 2006   #53
Hah! That's great!. Awesome job with the water. This wouldn't happen to be wishful thinking, would it?

Old 12 December 2006   #54
Hello,

I'm sorry if i started a flame war, that wasn't my intense. If i wouldn't respect You, i would never dare to critisize your work. Using reference is a necessity for a perfect anatomy.
Yes, Michelangelo did it and everybody else as well.
But tracing a photo (mostly with color picker) is nothing special. Try doing that with oils or acryl. Or even worse, try doing it with watercolors...

So Steven, no offense here, it's just my personal opinion.

Let agree to disagree:)

Best regards,

Old 12 December 2006   #55
people who use photos for simply a ref do not color pick :/

not any artist worth his salt anyway.

5 stars hands down Mr.Stahlberg - lovely use of lighting and subject, totally cracked me up... poor girl!!

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 12 December 2006   #56
Chupacabra, while I do understand what you are trying to say, I cannot quite agree: what if someone uses photo reference as a REFERENCE? Not for tracing, colour picking, painting over or whatever? Sure, working on a computer gives one such possibilities, but it doesn't mean everybody uses them.
The problem with even admitting to use references today is that some people identify "photo reference" with a paint over, even when it is not. Sure, references as live studying, or photos, make it easier (that's what they are for in the first place) and they are, as mentioned, at times truly necessary. And I see no reason of diminishing the worth of one's work just because they were brave enough to admit they needed help.

And on-topic now:
Steven, that's some brilliant execution and a great, funny subject (or shall I say tragic, I DO feel sorry for the girl ;p). I love the way you handle colors in all your works and in here it's especially good - I really like the way you managed to harmonise contrasting shades.
I wonder what happens to the girl, can we count on a part 2? ;P

Last edited by BlacKeri : 12 December 2006 at 04:12 PM.

Old 12 December 2006   #57
Haha, funny always works in my book. This piece is great both artistically and in concept.

As for using references, I thought that was a given. Seems every well known artist past and present uses them to make their work better and I'm all for that. Looking at the side-by-sides its apparent that the ones that you used reference on came out better. Should the quality of the work be sacrificed for the sake of artistic purity, absolutely not, I'd much rather view the better finished product. I could see a gripe with copying a reference photo too closely but whatever. Do what you gotta do.

The only artist I've studied closely that didn't use references and taught the same was Burne Hogarth. But we can't all be him.

Great work Steven.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 12 December 2006   #58
always pro, man
5 shiny objects

Old 12 December 2006   #59
Youur imagery is never less than dazzling Steven.
Another gem.

Cheer,
Nick

Old 12 December 2006   #60
Talking hi!

I don't have many words to expresive that i really like your draw!
without movement that happening its good draw and all people can understand right the action, the colors de water, the position, and expresions are perfects!

good work! My congratulations!

Natt

Thread Closed share thread