The Legend Of New Mankind, .:rapunzel:. (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #31
I've nothing else to say but STUNNING! Thank you very much for sharing

Old 01 January 2003   #32
.:RAPUNZEL:.

Very nice peice of work. One of the nicest Matte paintings I have seen in ages. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers
Evan

Old 01 January 2003   #33
the crack is fine

That crack is lighter colored and curved to what looks like natural weathering dont touch it an nice job btw

Old 01 January 2003   #34
holy craziness.... okay, I've onlee done photoshop for the past several years and have not talked much to others about programs so I'm new to terminology... what is "matte painting?" And what program did u model all that in and how the !@#$ did u get the lighting to look so natural?!?!? Lightwave? or something??? wowwoowo, soooo cooool....

Old 01 January 2003   #35
OMG...das ist fantastisch. Wilkommen an board rapunzel und Grsse aus old vienna!!!

Btw... I want to start a mattepainting by myself. Do ya have any tips or tutoriallinks to show us. Would be great.

@singularity: This is done with photoshop I think...so its classical painting. Yes... not everybody needs a 3d app to do realistics..hehe.

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Old 01 January 2003   #36
Keep it up, Manuel!
I want to see more

Old 01 January 2003   #37
Hi, Very nice work!

I haven't read all the post of this thread so I don't know what feed back you've already gotten but I want to give you my huble feead back.
I did a paint over/color-correction of you image. Though I belive it may be somewhat to saturated I think it shows the idea.

Old 01 January 2003   #38
reference image

that looks real.

ok let's see if i got it right...

you first cut parts from reference pics and modify and paste to your pic. then adjust lights and saturations etc... then paste the whole background and goes on...

is it it?

Last edited by Emre : 01 January 2003 at 12:02 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #39
Thanks for your replies!!!

sorry, im very busy- lot of work and privat stuff is going on.
@Jelo: the overpainting is great. i will post an update, with some of your suggestion at the weekend.

i cant give you a pictured step by step explanation of my workflow, i only have one screenshot of one of the last steps- sorry....

how i worked:

Initial sketch- i will post this one at the weekend

Serching for reference pictures

A simple gradiant for the background, i painted the clouds when the picture was almost finished

A lot of cloning and color corrections

Paint parts and textures- when it was possible ive cloned some textures from the reference pictures

Ive tryed to use a lot of photomaterials for textures- thats why the picture looks so sharp

mistakes i did:
to small canvas size- only 2000x1000 (because of my slow machine)
and my old problem with my concentration. most of the pictures i do are scribbles and speedpaintings. its hard for my to work on an image longer than to days.

thanks,
baba
.:RAPUNZEL:.

here is a scrennshot of one of the last steps. the crack is to small and the background is a simple gradiant....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newmankind.jpg (26.2 KB, 177 views)

Old 01 January 2003   #40
allright

Hey thanks for the explanation.
now i got it.

and, verrry good work again.

Old 01 January 2003   #41
Wow

Man that is truely amazing. Really good job.

Old 02 February 2003   #42
I was realy busy and i could not achive to make an update-sorry

Some of you asked for tutorials:

Sorry, I havend found one tutorial about mattepainting.... ...and this picture was my first one- so, Im still new to it. But I will try to make a good step-by-step description on my next image.

Here comes the initial sketch. Its not realy a sketch, first I thought i paint this motiv, but after sketching arround i decided to make some fotorealistic stuff.

btw: We have updated our Gameproject-Website- now in English

Old 02 February 2003   #43
Great work!

Old 04 April 2003   #44
Excellent job but I definately feel there's one thing that doesn't work properly and has been mentioned already. The sky is really the wrong colour for the image lighting. The lighting is brighter than what the sky portrays. U really need to give the sky some "brighter" colour and break away from the greys.

As for the crack that's been mentioned, I probably wouldn't have really noticed until somebody said something but I do have a feeling that the snowy edge should fade away further down on the crack (near the bottom). The quantity of snow is fine where the crack is wide but when it closes the snow really needs to be less.

Old 04 April 2003   #45
amazing my friend ..

i thought i was looking at a photo .. nice work ..

how did u do all of that ? .. did you follow a tutorial ?

Thread Closed share thread