The Legend Of New Mankind, .:rapunzel:. (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #1
the legend of new mankind

Hi,

first post in this in this awesome forum!!!

this piece was done for the current gameproject i´m working for.
(just for fun, but hopefully in the future as a full time job...)

One level is set in the arctic region, a part of the game is also a big tower-like city, called "New Mankind". This pictures doesent show the real tower, its only one of the legend how the building could look like...

feel free to post comments and advices, and excuse my poor english,

baba
.:RAPUNZEL:.

photoshop 7, reference pictures for the snow, ice and mountains.
- my first try in photorealistic- and mattepainting

Old 01 January 2003   #2
Heh, that is one heck of a mattepainting, really nice work.
The only thing that I find confusing is the lower right part of the picture...what the hell is that? A rock bridge? Looks like some kind of animal hide to me. And the crack in the big rock doesn't look as realistic as the other stuff you got in there but anyways. It's excellent stuff.

Skorépka!

Old 01 January 2003   #3
that is absulotly amazing.. your first matte painting..
thought i was looking at a photo...
great work!

Last edited by freddy7133d : 01 January 2003 at 03:07 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #4
amazing
looks wicked as
possible we could get a bigger image

Old 01 January 2003   #5
Referen ce

Would like to take a look at the reference images, if you don't mind...just interested...never made matte paintings....and therefore I'm interested if I can do it too.....hope i have enough photoshop-skills..

b u l l e t

Old 01 January 2003   #6
You got some nice work there Rapunzel, if you didn't tell, I probably would've thought it was a photo. There are three things though, the crack in the stone (less white around the crack), the lower right corner could be more blue instead of purple maybe, and the sky could be a tiny bit more saturated.

(do you see the blue snow-shadow by the "crater"? That shadow gets it's color from the sky, however, since the picture is taken straight forward and not up against the sky, the picture won't reveal that much of the blue sky.) I'm not 100% sure if this theory is correct, it might be other factors that count as well...

great work.
Erik

Last edited by erikals : 01 January 2003 at 09:30 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #7
... LOOK!!!... is Frodo and the fellowship on the bridge!!!... man!... great work!!!

and check my website

Old 01 January 2003   #8
Simply stunning. I'm just waiting until I can afford to get an Intuos2 pad until I start off on my first matte painting myself. This is quite an inspiration, very awesome!

That being said, the things that bother me with it are the same things that have been said, the crack in the large tower of stone is fake looking, the snow running around the whole edge is the culprit I think. The bridge of stone in the lower right hand corner is also awkward, I had to stare at it for awhile before I understood what it was, because it looked like a wierd hole being cut into the mountain but at the wrong perspective. I eventually realized that it was just seeing through to the distance, but it was initially very confusing, I think that this case is kind of like those tests where you look at a black and white image and different people percieve the space differently depending on whether you first percieve black or first percieve white. Same lines. As far as fixing it goes, I think it would be a significant amount of work for something that may not be a huge problem (I may be in the minority having this problem, though there was at least one other guy who also had the problem who posted before me).

All in all, an exquisite painting, truly awesome.
I give it five buttrockers!

Oh, and your english is just fine. Post in German as well if you want, seems to be plenty of Germans on these boards and I myself can read it fairly well. Plus, the spanish guys all doubt post in english/spanish! =P

Last edited by WhiteRabbitObj : 01 January 2003 at 10:00 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #9
Man this one piece is stunning!! I'm also interesting in references ... can you show it??

My Online Portfolio

Old 01 January 2003   #10
really fantastic piece of work... and first matte painting on the front page! well done

will be watching with eagerness...

cuse

Old 01 January 2003   #11
Wink .

Congratulation .:RAPUNZEL:. I'm so proud on you...want you merry me?

SORRY I've pulled the wrong button, SORRY SORRY

Last edited by ernie (WV) : 01 January 2003 at 11:12 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #12
Congratulation .:RAPUNZEL:. I'm so proud on you...want you merry me?

Old 01 January 2003   #13
What a way to introduce yourself to the site Incredible detail, and attention to it how long did it take? And dare I say this is on par with Henrik's work

Very very nice indeed

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! very inspiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - which you are now placed

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

Old 01 January 2003   #14
Quote: Originally posted by lildragon
Incredible detail, and attention to it how long did it take? And dare I say this is on par with Henrik's work

Very very nice indeed

Agreed, when i looked at the front page i thought it wa another of Henrik's work. great job, and your first post too

Old 01 January 2003   #15
holeee makabongaa! Absolutely stunning! And this is your first piece, I really do I hate you j/k, I hope to see more from you, henrik better watch out. =) gl!!!

::. inquistor eisenhorn wip

Thread Closed share thread