Do You Know Hawk Chi?, Hawk (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2002
Do You Know Hawk Chi

took me couple of days to finish this. this was completely colored in photosop using a wacom tablet. and thats suppose to be me as an anime character.

12 December 2002
Wow... I like this alot.

12 December 2002
I likes it too

Could you explain how you did that power orb chi ball thingy?

12 December 2002
I dig it!

Grooooovy shoes!

QUACK QUACK

12 December 2002
Wow... that´s cool. Lots of details, vivid colors and a great lighting.. I like this piece a lot! Great work.. well done!

12 December 2002
Chi Tutorial

I created 8 images to show what steps i took to create the glowing ball. I'm sure there's a better way of doing this but this is my way and it works I guess.

here are the images...

Steps to making the chi ball:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image1: I made a circle and filled it with a orange-red color.

Image2: Usin the dodge tool and a decent brush size. I start adding the hot spots (bright areas). I randomly pick the areas.

Image3: I go over the same area again and make it brighter and stronger.

Image4: I take the burn tool and burn some areas, not too much just some minor areas.

Image5: I go back to the dodge tool and used a 3 point brush. Using the wacom pen I start scribbling around the orb, causing bright lines in the orb

Image6: Same process as Image5 but this time i used the burn tool.

Image7: I blurred the orb a little and using the dodge tool, I decided to brighten the hot spots even more.

Image8: Last step, create a new layer on top of the orb, change the layer mode to Screen. Take a huge airbrush and add a glow to it.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get confused with anything.

PS. how does a thread get voted to be on the main page?

12 December 2002
I love your colour combination.

i wonder how the background are done. all those white lines are amazing, you manange to draw it all by hand?

12 December 2002
wicked

12 December 2002
I'm no pro at 2D CG, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the shades glow orange? I mean, the energy ball is the strongest light source in the vicinity (sp?). If the shades themselves are of green glass, they should at least be slightly more orangy?

Excellent, work, I love every bit of it!

Carl

Last edited by CarlCampbell : 12 December 2002 at 05:15 PM.

12 December 2002
Background Tutorial

The background is basically bunch of layers.

The first layer is a dark blue color with the cloud filter added to it.

Then I added a layer on top of that, taking a large airbrush, i added a big ass glow behind the character (white color of course).

now here is the fun part that took FOREVER! using a small sharp brush (size 3) and the smudge too...i pull out lines and swirls from the glowing area.

12 December 2002
Great!

Only thing I'd change is adding a bit of orange tint on the face, gloves, and cap - energy ball is emiting orange light, but for example highlights on the gloves are light green, not orange.

12 December 2002
CarlCampbell: i agree or it should prolly be a mix of green and orange because the shades has green lens?

btw.. here's the orginal sketch from my sketchbook.

12 December 2002
Thumbs down

Cool!!

I like the glowin' ball, really well done dude!

Btw, Have you made the color directly on the sketch addin' a cg linework at the same time or did you ink it before?

Anyways, great work! (would be cool for the "livin' toons" challenge btw)

-Arty-

12 December 2002
art7sayan: i usually ink my work and then color it, but for some reason i took a risk and left the sketch how it was. i added color to it by adding layers to the sketch. i had the color layers in Multiply mode so i could see the sketch while i paint on top of it.

Thread Closed share thread