The Wax - Dragon, Natascha Roeoesli (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #31
Very, very good image. I find you have progressed so much since the first images I know from you and which made their way into the CGChoice Gallery. The last pictures you uploaded are way better in my opinion.

I particularly like the dragon here - really, really cute !

Only two small crits : the arms seem a little bit sketchy compared to the detail in the rest of the picture. I also find her hairstyle a little bit too cool and loose compared to her way of dressing. Although the hair is absolutely super, I still find that a little more sophisticated hairstyle would have matched her dress better.

Anyway, you have another winner here !

Old 03 March 2006   #32
Wow, thats AMAZING!
Fantastic colors. lovely image

Old 03 March 2006   #33
Arrow

Really great mood. Even composition being pretty straight (i.e.no absurdly complex), I've been watching it for a while

Old 03 March 2006   #34
hehehe.. congrats Tascha... two pics on CG front page at once!! This has turned out amazingly well, from that rough sketch you posted a while ago... and ho ho, do I see some of the silk you did for the tutorial in 2d artist mag? *grins* that tut will come in very handy, and you are definitely getting better with every piece you do. I'd have liked some hint of a background in amongst the cloud, but i know how long you'd had this piece around, so I don't blame you for opting for a more generic background. I love her hair and the shape of her eyes too, you do the most amazing eyes. Every time I see a piece of yours it really does encourage me to keep at digital art, seeing what its capable of. Fantastic!

Old 03 March 2006   #35
Arrow

Originally Posted by Kyena: EDIT:
I forgot to add - I didn't use any reference or material to stud for this but two really bad out of focus and yellowish fotos of my hands. They do however look nowhere near delicate and slender as hers and I don't have long nails either. I am most probably going to post them along as soon as this is accepted into the forum

I'd love to see some of those steps. Thank you

Old 03 March 2006   #36
I love your work. The girl is amazing. A couple of crits though, I think the dragon gets a bit too soft towards the top. Also the arm/claw coming in from the right side does a good job of balancing out the entire image but it looks a bit odd to me. Other than that fantastic work. 5 Stars! BTW love your image of Alice. The faces you give your women are very seductive.

Old 03 March 2006   #37
Great image!

4*

Last images:
Enuma Lyrae Nebula
Dhube Aphaex Nebula

Old 03 March 2006   #38
yellowdog
thank you :] the idea was to have the dragon in some kind of wrapped around composition around her - to emphasize the protection - which is in term kind of sarcastic because the dragon actually needs her protection too. (hehe - I am starting to babble..)

RuihongTang
yeah it's an asian inspired girl this time. At least more asian looking then western. I am really fond of asian elements and plan to incorporate them some more in my future paintings :]
Glad you like it

MV
Thanks again Matt! Actually I was considering that but I kinda like it as a more designish element..and staying in the background. It was definately not lazyness but a decision to leave it like that. :]

keight
no kidding Katherine, this went to so many changes when I first started painting. I am definately planing on doing an overview/step-by step of this (same for summer actually)

DuncanLong
Thank you :] haha yeah a woman again huh? Tell you what, I am planning on a male and more creature/monster painting next. Gotta devlope and challange myself!

jing-long
thank you kindly :]

slickgreekgeo
close-ups are up now - I can upload some more but it looks actually quite messier then you would think from the normal version

dEDa
Mille grazie, Andrea

olimaxone
that's a great compliment as I was trying to give him some kind of sensuality from the start - he changed quite a bit during the process - from looking extremely young to older for example. I tend to think that I had the sensuality in there from the start..at least somewhat :]

Tigaer
Thanks, I am glad you enjoy this piece =)

tomas slobodnik
thank you - much appreciated :]

okjoss
muchas gracias =)

iChiaz
thanks to you as well - glad you like it

waheednasir
thank you waheed

hiiri
until now I have mostly done character illustrations of mostly humans. I really enjoyed playing around with a creature for ones and will definately do more.

enialadam
I am glad that the connection somewhat works. I tried to show a bond between them in both composition and some little elements (like he taking the flower from her hand without her being conserned at all (looking at the viewer instead) or she having one of his (no clue what they are called) wrapped around her finger like a weddingring (not sure if people actually notice that though )

The neck are is actually not covered by that shell like his head (which is probably a bit unrealistic but ah well..) thus looking a bit more waxy

Icey
Thank you very much. I am even more flattered about your comment then and also thank you for the visit of my website too :]

DarkSkills
Thanks!

jing-long
haha I am starting to get stuck up if people keep commenting on my threads more then one

rajbir
Many thanks for the compliment and comment :]

jmBoekestein
hah! didn't miss your comment this time. Thanks again JM and sorry - I was away all evening and didn't see your message on MSN until now.

SirNeo
thank you

1882J
ah she is not a godess - but she actually looks a bit like one? Maybe I overdid a bit with the headpiece

Farsh
thank you - I am also quite happy with the light (venturing more into special light situation). I am not really sure if that light as really correct, sometimes it's really hard for me to imagine it and it might be a bit wonky here and there.

Euphony
Dan thank you! yes - I tried to incorporate the color that appears a bit blueish around her shoulder (the shadow) into other parts but I don't really have the fully grasp of it yet..I am also happy how it turned out there though.

Poshspice
ahh Aly but I love when you sound like a tape recorder thank you very much. Did you get my pm btw? I was not sure if it did get sent or not :/

Zocsi
Many thanks

gaianix
thanks a lot :]

NinjaSuz
Many thanks - I though it might create a nice arch (arc?) around the girl with her floating arm clothing and the dragon :]

Ok and as promised here are the crappy references I used for the hands.
our stupid digital camera is broken - the stop you get to autofocuse the sharpness before taking the shot is not there anymore (button is broken) and it gets almost impossible to create sharp pictures :(
Really need to start saving up for a new camera. Well it was/is an old one anyway and I am actually hoping I can borrow some of the digital cameras of my parents..

ThePhotographer
Thanks a lot for the feedback Gitte. I find it hard to add details to arms because to me, specially on girls they tend to not have pronounced muscles I can shade. Or if I do they look too manly to me. Something I definately have to improve though.
What do yu mean by more sophisticated? More strict? or More complicated? =)
She actually had two buns covered with a head veil and some of this asian pins in it to start of with. But I thought she looked too much martial artist like that

BlinCk
many thanks Jorge =)

DDS yes I tend to think of it as some kind of portrait done for them. Thus the straight foward look of the girl. To be honest though - I haven't been painting a straight into the camera face in ages and I thought the 3/4 is kind of overdone by me right now. Besides to have the dragon not in full frontal was quite more challenge for me (just shows how little understanding I have of dragon bonestructure yet )

Zepyhri
@_@ that "h" in your name really caused me troubles I had to retype your handly about 4 times. I actually had some ancient ruins in there and much more complicated clouds (you will see that if you are taking a look at the step-by-step of this which I am planing. However I thought it was too crowded for the already quite cramped canvas.
Actually I started this piece then got the request for the tutorial and thought why not reuse some of the colors and elements I used in this - so shame on me

Thanks very much for the lengthy comment Sam. <3

DDS: I will definately put something together

Thanks for all the feedback!

My website

Last edited by Kyena : 03 March 2006 at 10:46 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #39
hey, what´s that? One work after another, better and better hiting the home...

Wow, you doing great, this piece is very prety, the story behind is very interesting too.
Keep sharing this beauty with us.

Gratz!

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

Old 03 March 2006   #40
Superb.

Crit for just crit: The ring finger could be just a little bit shorter... (In no way it disturbs the painting tho)

Old 03 March 2006   #41
amazing as always!!!

Old 03 March 2006   #42
I think u could have worked the dragons hand a bit. But everything else seems fine!

Old 03 March 2006   #43
Beautiful work. I love the colors and the soft feel of the image. Her clothing is really cool too. Nice job.

Old 03 March 2006   #44
When I saw the recomendation pic I instantly knew it is Your work. Fantastic, gentle girl as always. You made my day again.

Old 03 March 2006   #45
Wow....... nice work

Thread Closed share thread