The Wax - Dragon, Natascha Roeoesli (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Wax - Dragon, Natascha Roeoesli (2D)

Title: The Wax - Dragon
Name: Natascha Roeoesli
Software: Photoshop

In ancient times, Wax - Dragons have been known to humans as sources of great wisdom.
Some of their body parts consist of wax elements and are very weak to physical attack. Thus those parts are covered with a transparent shell (specially the chest area - horns and parts of the head) which is supposed to gain them at least a minor protection against predators and heat.
Due to their great weakness and the fact that they are not meant to fight but rather serve as sources of inspiration and advisors, they have been driven very close to extinction.

It takes a long time until a Dragon of this kind makes friendship with a human being. A symbiosis which is however essential for their survival.
They are creatures of snakelike, delicate appearance and feed only on plants. Their character is very tender and protectful which in terms makes them even more vulnurable and weak.

Once a Wax - Dragon has found a human companion it stays loyal until it's death.

This was actually meant to be finished for Exposé but due to work I didn't have time to finish it earlier.

It's Photoshop CS2 from scratch till the end and started as a speed point of the girl. It was then when I realized that I have to expand my mind and start painting other creatures. The story of that particular dragon started to form when I started to think about how to paint and invent my own dragon.

I see this as a start to more creature and nonhuman elements sipping into my work :)

As always, I hope you enjoy :)
Matt: Thanks a lot in the cc and feedback for the Dragon!
As promised, some close-ups at 100% and 50% mixed:

Sidenote: I have over 30 Steps of this saved..my comp is about to crash I think >_<

EDIT:
I forgot to add - I didn't use any reference or material to stud for this but two really bad out of focus and yellowish fotos of my hands. They do however look nowhere near delicate and slender as hers and I don't have long nails either. I am most probably going to post them along as soon as this is accepted into the forum :)

My website

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Wow... I love the translucence and color depth in the dragon's scales. Very interesting composition.... Great work !!!

Old 03 March 2006   #3
wow~really a girl with dragon!nice asia looking girl~ this time I like it,hehe ,nice dragon design,looks little like snake,but pretty good~love ur paiting and color~keep the good works up~

Old 03 March 2006   #4
it turned out great one of my favourites from you! maybe you could have worked the dragon hand a bit more

Old 03 March 2006   #5
It is so nice to see her finished. She, and her dragon, have come a long way into believability. Any nitpicking crits from me still have to wait.

Old 03 March 2006   #6
Beautiful

Fantastic job -- and the wax effect on the surface of the dragon is perfect. And, of course, a beautiful woman. Excellent all the way around.

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Smile

fantastic!! I love it!

Old 03 March 2006   #8
I'm glad you finally finished this piece, it's very well done. The girl's face is awesome, I'd kill for a close-up, twice even.

Old 03 March 2006   #9
This image is beautiful as all your works!!
You're a great artist!
dEDa

- Life is too short for a full time job -

3Dworks:
Ponte Vecchio
Dragon's Lair

concept car
watch
robot
FIAT

Old 03 March 2006   #10
wow!... first time i see a dragon looking so sensual. tricky... Your composition helps too in to make it charmfull. That's a great picture!!

Old 03 March 2006   #11
what else to say than exceptional work here. really like the colors

Old 03 March 2006   #12
Thumbs up

niiiiiiiccee job dragon is fantastic and superb girl almost her dress and very good composition 4/5*

Old 03 March 2006   #13
Buenisimo!
Joss

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Beautiful work, I love it

Old 03 March 2006   #15
hi.

beautifully done Natascha.... i like how u did her face, hair, veil and those delicate fingers (of the girl).... dragon's face looks good too.

my website;
www.waheednasir.com

Last edited by waheednasir : 03 March 2006 at 05:20 PM.

Thread Closed share thread