Hajieelkhe, Linda Bergkvist (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2005
Hi Linda,

part of the benefits of having registered at cgtalk is that now I can finally freak out in public over how absolutely stunning the atmosphere and beauty of your paintings is. I do check out your gallery on a regular basis and each of your tutorials helped so much...

That said, I wonder, erm... is that actually some kind of beauty ideal of yours in real life, too, or is it just the way your male painted characters happen to look?

Because, while they obviuosly have become sort of a trademark of yours, they do not look like the sort of men women would actually want to date or something (don't mean the dress code, here, lol), - or do they? Maybe female members of cgtalk can answer that question. Some of the people who posted in this thread even referred to "her" though you said it was a male character...

So, if someone like Hajieelkhe approached you at a party and said "let's have a drink", would you secretly go "ah, finally met him!"?

Just wondered...

11 November 2005
Absolutely brilliant. I love the flesh tones and the fabric is incredible. The pose is so classic... powerful and demure all at the same time.

11 November 2005
Copy all of the comments above, plus a little remark that this piece reminds me of why I was attracted to drawing in the first place: the prospect of one day hopefully being able to draw something like this was what put that pencil in my hand all those years ago. Many thanks for that reminder and for showing us the real meaning of excellence.

11 November 2005
Ranath – wow, thank you! This piece means a lot to me, personally – as it's the first time I feel I've actually managed to capture the 'elusive' Hajieelkhe... but I thought everyone would just feel it was another 'portrait' and nothing else. I'm thrilled to hear you liked it.

W!L – Hey Wil And thank you! You're right, I've only posted it on my webpage, previously. I hadn't even intended to do that, initially, but ended up feeling the page needed an update. I'm happy you like the piece, and yeah, I first created Haji when I was around seventeen years old. Of course, the character has gone through great changes since then, but that's pretty much it :]

Titan – Well, as I said previously in the thread, I did use references for feet and hands, and I had a blanket piled on a chair next to me to get the folds right :] I'm glad you like it.

Sylvana – Thank you The reason to why I'm so happy with the feet is mainly that, well, I usually think feet are ugly. I think even pretty feet are ugly. :sheepish: But I somehow like the look of Haji's feet – which was a huge breakthrough for me. I hope I've finally learned how to paint feet, now. Who knows

Mr. Mu – Hello there, and thank you. Hm, beauty ideals. It's a difficult thing, you know – I have to admit that as far as looks go, I prefer beauty to handsomeness. If I compare two actors that are both thought of as good looking – such as, say, Tom Cruise and Jared Leto... the former has no appeal at all to me, artistically, while the latter has large, thick-lashed eyes, full lips and a delicately attractive bone structure that makes my knees weak. I don't like buff, big, muscular men. Hairy chests will always be a huge turn-off. Beards, moustaches and thick arms bore me to death. Having said that, there's a difference between what the eye appreciates, and what the heart cares about – I fall in love, and am attracted to, people rather than looks. What I like to look at isn't necessarily what I like to be close to.

Urrgos – Thank you :] The pose actually took a lot of work – I'm glad you like it.

Gmax - Haha, you got your comment in while I was posting mine. Sneaky! Thank you very kindly, though - those are warming words.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Last edited by Enayla : 11 November 2005 at 02:18 PM.

11 November 2005
Stunning as always, Linda.

The lighting in all your recent work never ceases to amaze me, as do the textures - that wall looks fabulous, I've been trying to achieve that kind of effect but it refuses to work for me without looking like a random bunch of colours slapped together with some nifty brushes - I want to know how you do that!

Skin looks awesome, my favourite thing are the feet. It looks as though the toes are the only part with a blood supply heh, which actually makes me think of how Geisha leave that tiny unpainted space on the back of their necks underneath the white makeup to give people a hint that theres a real person under there - seems to work here aswell by giving such an ethereal character a slight link to humanity. I think some of the facial looks quite similar to your own here

Five stars, keep on rockin' !

Originally Posted by Mr. Mu: they do not look like the sort of men women would actually want to date or something (don't mean the dress code, here, lol), - or do they?

*giggles* I'd date him! Not enough green skin about, says I...

Last edited by Elsie : 11 November 2005 at 03:13 PM.

11 November 2005
Woaaaaaaaah, its finally finished and I can see it! I remember almost going nuts when you showed us the wip and my poor monitor could not see it well. Beautiful work as usual Linda.
Congrats!

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

11 November 2005
Awesome painting ..... I really like the pose as well ... colors, lighting, everything looks beautiful. Great work Linda.

11 November 2005
very beautiful image. im still waiting for news of your book, could you give a best and worst caste senario for its release date? even if you dont have much of an idea when it will be finished, an update would be fantastic

11 November 2005
Omg... Amazing, like everytime.

11 November 2005
hello

your works are amazing...

congratulation

Joss

11 November 2005
ho! impeccable accomplishment...really amazing, Linda.I love the complementary colors use in this painting

11 November 2005
OMG, this is such a greaat job!!

the whole pic is so erotic! wonderful atmosphere.

11 November 2005
My favorite from you...(personnal taste...)

The light is beautyfull, skin very well rendered, pose natural, composition as simple as efficient, clthes just lovely feeled... And expression subtil.

Masterpiece type. (I'd love to see it on a giant canvas, 3 or 4 meters high! )

11 November 2005
WOW WOW WOW! My most favorite piece for 2005, right here! I just bought a house and need a wall painted. Think you can paint that on my living room wall? *wink*

Excellent piece. Simply brilliant!

11 November 2005
You continue to produce the best front page pieces.
The tone variations and colors throughout the skin is brilliant!

Thread Closed share thread