Master & Servant, Linda Bergkvist (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005
the technique is superb, but it is even surpassed by its content.
you really used your great skills to tell a very actual story in an magnificent way.
I like the different thematic layers of this image alot.
First the two women standing there and the question what holds them together. the sensual tension between them, but also some danger.
then the animals arround, first looking cute and nice, but giving it a closer look we see that there is also dead an destruction ...
very complex painting

good luck

05 May 2005
Red face WoW

what can I say ? This is truly breathtaking stuff !
wonderful piece Linda very impressive

05 May 2005
Wink

Ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmazing work
I don't know what i say ( no comment )

05 May 2005
Peachysticks -- Thank you :] the decision to flip it was a difficult one to make. Usually, when I keep the process to myself, I flip the picture back and forth a LOT of times, and then just pick the best one, and no one's the wiser for it... but in this case, everyone had managed to get used to the other version and when I ended up liking THIS version more, it was difficult. I'm glad I went with this though, and happy you think it's better this way

Sulla -- Thank you :] And yea, one can't satisfy everyone's wishes. There's sort of a process article in the Master and Servant thread, and if that's not in your taste, you'll have to pick up D'artiste :]

THE CLYKE -- Thank you kindly

Empath -- Aw, thanks! I'm hoping I'll be able to sell the print in huge size through cgprints when it's set up :]

D-NA -- Thank you :] I really appreciated all your comments in my M&S thread, and I'm sorry I never got to respond to everything there... there was just a bit too much TO respond to at the same time as I was trying to paint, ha ha.

MDN67 -- Thanks :] The feet ended up being almost overworked because I was trying so hard to get them right - it's difficult painting things you don't really 'like' to paint, you know?

Morgue -- Thankee :]

Frameless - Thank you very much :] No voting this time around, though, heheh.

Enialadam -- Thanks :] Best wishes to you, too!

Paul -- Wow, thanks. That's one of the sweetest comments I've ever received... much appreciated.

John Keates -- Thank you :] I'm always SO thrilled to hear that someone likes the way I did the feet as they were, without the shadow of a doubt, the most difficult part of this painting for me.

AmaThuS -- Thank you

Direnda -- Thank you :]

Peteboy -- Hahah, aw, thanks! <3

Giza -- Thanks

Mimo8 -- Thanks :] for once, I felt I had almost too much I wanted to say with this one piece, while wanting to keep it discreet and not forcing my opinions on the viewer, nor making the story too obvious. I like looking at pictures and figuring the relationships out - that's what I was aiming for. Again, thank you.

Abourabe -- Much appreciated :] Thanks!

Eternal Art -- thank you!

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

05 May 2005
Of all of the pieces I've been able to see of this challenge, this piece is the one that most clearly, thoroughly, and beautifully, illustrates the well concieved concept on which it is founded. Though I know you can clearly see where you feel you couldn't quite match the glowing image in your mind, you've already said as much, we viewers cannot. I do think it is wonderfully beautiful and thoroughly worth all of your effort. Good luck with the voting.

05 May 2005
Linda,

Great image.

Very misterious, very attractive, reminds me great painters of 19 century, like Alma -Tadema and Waterhouse, but you bring something new and very personal to the romantic art.

And your talent surpass any medium, digital or traditional.

Good luck in the challenge.

Bye

05 May 2005
Wink

自然女神的表情----疼爱夹杂着痛惜
人类女子的表情----安详夹杂着任性
主题和细节,人物的塑造和表情,我想艺术品的生命是因为艺术家的思想而生生不息的!

the countenance of your "nature"-----treasure and feel sorry for hurmanity

the countenance of your "humanity"-----calm and willful

theme and detail, skilful and ponder, i think the vitality of art is the thought of the artist!!

05 May 2005
Ok, I already wrote this entire comment in the Master and Servant entry, and it was really long. I think this painting deserves to hear it all over again, and you too, so I copied and pasted it here (lazy I know, but it's got to do with lack of time and already having written it):

My god...this is just...ugh, I can't think of a word that would properly describe this, because any word I think of is an understatement. This is just...supercalifragilisticexpealidocious.

Everything is gorgeous, all the details, they're just astounding. Let's see just how long of a comment I can make on this, hmm?

*clears throat*

The dress patterns are so beautiful, they add a lot of reality to the characters in a very subtle way. They are very easy on the eye and create interest in the fabric. The flowers and such popping out of Nature's dress are perfect, they truly look as though they are part of it. The insects are great, they look just like they should, and the butterflies are so amazing. The detail you put in every single wing, it's just astounding. And each butterfly is different, with different color schemes for each and different patterns. Wonderful.

The birds need a whole paragraph to themselves, because they are great! I love how you made their feathers shiny and slightly iridescent. That's something that really helped with the realism of the birds, because, if I remember correctly, you made these fellas up. But one would never guess that when looking at this image. I particularly like the turquiose bird who's wing is deteriorating behind Humanity. But I also like the red-headed on behind Nature's head, because it's beak looks so exotic and yet so real.

The faces are gorgeous. I really think that opening up Nature's mouth helped bring out the emotion on her face, she looks a bit more surprised that Humanity has just fallen into her arms, resistant and yet ready for her. Humanity is great as well, she has a wonderfully evil look on her face. She is most certainly "spoiled". She seems very haughty and self-centered. She knows that Nature will catch her.

The background is great. It's so discreet, but really detailed. Amazing work on that. The peaches are great, so full of color and liveliness, it just makes me want to pluck one out of the painting and eat it (that is, if I liked peaches to begin with, LOL). I really like the little bird sitting on the branch. One thing that really sticks out is the grass behind Nature. It looks so realistic that its just....hmm, wonderful! Everything in the grass, and the trees and everything, it's just great.

Overall, I give it two very, very happy thumbs up. This painting rocks, I love it, it's great. I can only dream of painting a picture as detailed as this someday in my life. *dreams*

Keep up the wonderful paintings, Linda, because this one is great, and I look forward to more.

And I truly mean it too.

Offbeatworlds.com

05 May 2005
incredible picture !!
it is also incredible how all your words about, in the introduction,
are completely wrong and at the end is always your obsession
that come out.

ciao
francesca

05 May 2005
Oh, Linda... this bigger version makes it even better. I can't even grasp how much detail was put into this piece... My favorite parts are the feet (all the more amazing that they turned out so wonderfully, because I know they give you trouble), Humanity's freckles (<3!), that half-skeletal bird behind Huamity, and the tassle things on Nature's dress. I don't even need to mention their faces--and I'm flabbergasted at how well you managed to mesh so much detail next to Nature's mask and not overpower her expression. This has been a learning experience for us all, methinks. <3 But more than anything, thank -you- for being so incredibly receptive to everyone else's suggestions (and for having the stubborness to go back and act on those suggestions). You're absolutely inspiring. <3<3 Can't express how enriching seeing your process and all the generous detail shots has been for me. This piece is phenomenal. Good luck!

(Squee, you changed your signature! Hahah, I'm so used to seeing the E; its weird to see your name instead ;D )

05 May 2005
Beautiful work, superb environment I like much
Sorry for my poor english

05 May 2005
Such a wonderful painting Linda. From the beginning to the last step, it was absolutly fascinating to see you work on this.

Again, i am totally in love with the fabric you painted, so subtle yet still very detailed. Every little touches here and there popping out is a pure joy to notice. Every creature you added is different from the others and them alone are a joy to see and look at all their details.

Their expressions are also better this way, conveying a little more the toughts you wanted itto convey, yet again, they are very subtle.

Not mentionning all of the symbolism in it and your writting that goes with it that just fits perfectly.

I think this is what i actually prefer the most about your paintings; the subtlety of the detailing, making them very soft for the eye, sometime almost not noticeable, but it is there and of course your writting and stories, the way you illustrate them to tell the story graphically. And of course the way you use colors in such a way that we can take it as a detail telling the story itself.

I'm not sure of what else i could add that has not been mentionned yet so i'll leave it there, enoguh for now. Gorgeous painting once again. Your rest is well deserved, after all those hours staying up to work on this, but don't exhaust yourself too much!

Take care, Linda!

05 May 2005
Omg, this is simply amazing!

05 May 2005
Hello Linda,
As I said in your M/S thread, this illustration is absolutely breathtaking, wonderful, and perfect. I'm very glad to get a chance to see a larger version, as I can see even more details of the image that I wasn't aware of before (like the freckles on the girl). Excellence.

On another note, thank you very much for allowing me to use your M/S entry as an example of digital art for my Informative Speech in college last week . My classmates were completely floored to see that a person could create such a beautiful artwork on the computer; anyone who ever says that digital art is an automated, cold, and emotionless medium after having seen any of your works is utterly insane as you are living proof that it is artist who is responsible for creating Art, not the medium. Thanks again.

05 May 2005
Amazing piece of work! Leaves me breathless.

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Thread Closed share thread