The Pale Voice, Linda Bergkvist (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #1
The Pale Voice, Linda Bergkvist (2D)

Title: The Pale Voice
Name: Linda Bergkvist
Software: Photoshop

Iíve been fretting about posting this one here or not. Iíve received some critiques on posting only character work, and since this is yet another character portraitÖ Iíve put it off. However, now I have my Master and Servant entry for anyone wanting to see a little more than that, so Iím going to dare.
Anyway, this is a painting for a board game one of my best friends is designing Ė itís just a pastime thing so far, but I think itíll be neat. Itís based on the fantasy world Iíve had in mind for a good long while (Furiae) and this is one of the characters.
Anyway, hereís some background on the character Ė
It is a tradition that Gira, the first God of humanity, always takes a boy child as avatar... to be replaced when the boy reaches maturity.
Another God's avatar remarked once snidely that "Gira chooses children because only a child or a dimwit would believe his lies".
This is Samhan, now fifteen and according to whispers, soon to be removed from his exalted state as immortal. Taken from his family when he was ten years old, rumours speak of his tongue having been ripped out by the God when he screamed an insult in Gira's face.
Others claim that Samhan's voice is so lovely that Gira refuses anyone else the pleasure of its melody.

Above all, the painting is an exercise in painting fabrics. I took a clothes hanger and a chair, and I piled and folded and draped different fabrics over it, to get the look right. I spentÖ way, way too long, just detailing away at the fabric folds when, I know, I should have spent my time doing more meaningful things (like, brushing my hair, or taking the cat for a walk, ha ha)

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Old 04 April 2005   #2
im not into roleplays, so im not sure what this person does.. a card or whatever.

Just want to say that I love the clothing design, your painting skills are great.. lovely composition too.. and i like the detail with the background, (if it is meant to be that) a blurry looking ghost of a face over the character.. is that something with the voice to do? like you are giving the voice somewhat a unclear visual face - like dreaming

Old 04 April 2005   #3
This's one of the best drawings I've ever see. So real, so beautiful!
You have great talent!

Old 04 April 2005   #4
Masterfully done as always Linda. That fabric looks SO real I could reach out and touch it.

Is the top of the chair the shoulders? Cos I cant help looking at that area and thinking there's a chair under there!
Is that another figure behind the main one thats just barely visible?

Great stuff Linda, and you really shouldnt worry about posting character stuff, if thats what you have done, then I (and im sure most people here) would love to see it.

PS. Im insanely jealous of your talent.

Old 04 April 2005   #5
HOT! HOT! HOT!

That's what this artwork is.. You say you 'r' exercising in painting fabrics, .... well.....

Your doing a AWESOME job!!

CHARACTER DESIGN

Old 04 April 2005   #6
Perfect... as usual

Old 04 April 2005   #7
hi.

beautiful in every way... .

waheed nasir.

Old 04 April 2005   #8
nice

I just want to say your artwork is the must wonderful art I have ever seen
very very great

Old 04 April 2005   #9
Thumbs up

realy realistic very nice soft shadows and wonderful colours

GREAT JOB

Old 04 April 2005   #10
amazing textures with the cloths, nothing to critic in that image
Rizo

Old 04 April 2005   #11
I saw this in your website like 2-3 weeks ago..and as usual it was saved in my hard drive..Lovely textures and look and everything...and...i'm still in love

Old 04 April 2005   #12
Beautiful play of light & fabric. The composition is read top to bottom at first, because of the scroll, however there is a bottom-up ascending quality to it that tend to shift the attention continuously upwards to wonder about the ghost and the space above the main character.

Many compliments,

ashakarc

Old 04 April 2005   #13
Linda, I think your cloth is becoming better than your faces, and that's an astounding measure of your talent. I love your characters and the mood they portray by themselves (most of them grace my desktop in an endless cycle!), but as you say, I'd love to see them fleshed out with backgrounds. The lack of background does give them a timeless quality which helps place them in any setting (ideal for the roleplay situation). A background would add to the character's already stunning portrayal, but it by no means detracts from the work by being absent.

Old 04 April 2005   #14
holy ****! that is awesome work. I always love your work linda, impressive! nothing to critic.

Old 04 April 2005   #15
Wow! when you put your mind to something, you really do it! The fabrics look amazing and the character itself is so developed. You have such an imagination!

hey! is that a figure in the background or am i seeing things?

Thread Closed share thread