The King's Fairy Catcher (nudity), Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2005   #31
This is a genius one! A really great picture, normally I am never in the mood to really praise one´s work. But this is my desktop-background now (a very seldom event). It really has a great execution, besides all the crits here. I agree with Extra noise, the fairys are lit well, I never would achieve such good painting techniques. Overall, the theme of the picture is good and also well executed. Well done.
Why can´t I give six stars? It especially excites me because of it´s classic style. Great lighting!

(¯`·.¸¸.--.¸¸.·`¯)

tonfarben.com

(¯`·.¸¸.--.¸¸.·`¯)

Old 02 February 2005   #32
They (or you) are getting progressively more, and more twisted every time Stahlberg. I like it!

I got CULT status baby!

Old 02 February 2005   #33
nice image!

the fairie catcher himself seems to be taking his sweet time getting there, as if he's not worried at all that the fairie might escape. I like that, it adds a certain inevitability to it. apart from that, the colour scheme of the fairies reminds me of some renaissance stuff. pretty good in general! =)

all the best
/plaflaplafpl

Old 02 February 2005   #34
Great Art with a good backstory ! That's how it should be done .

Old 02 February 2005   #35
Arrow

I agree with most of the comments. Superb picture. Very, very nice action, composition and lighting. I love the poses of the fairies!! They express so much feeling to me... Toghether with their lighting they remind me of Renaissance pictures.

This different lighting of the fairies also makes them unrealistic and fantastic, that's what they are. I agree with the picture and I don't think there is anything to be changed. But it's just an opinion.

Waiting for more fairies in your next one!

Last edited by DDS : 02 February 2005 at 12:27 AM.

Old 02 February 2005   #36
absolutely brilliant. seriously, a work of art.

Old 02 February 2005   #37
Great work as always Steven!!!

I actually like the look of the fairies... kind of makes me think of Absinthe! Mmm Absinthe!!

My only critique is with the Fairy Catching device itself. The color of the vapor emanating from the device is a little overpronounced in comparison to the rest of the image. The device itself stands out a little too much as well. In my humble opinion.

Wouldn't mind catching one of those fairies myself, but for an altogether different reason than the king!

"I find you guilty of the crime, of sleeping at a time when you should have been wide awake!" -chriscornell

Old 02 February 2005   #38
kind of like the chinese emperor that drank mercury everyday cuz he thought he would live forever. well he ended up going paranoid about people trying to kill him and take over his kingdom. ended up sleeping in a different room every night and built that long stretch of the great wall. i dont think fairies' blood will do that to you tho.

looks like a painting. nice atmostphere and very intriguing story.

Old 02 February 2005   #39
Master Stahlberg, always perfect. congratulations!

Old 02 February 2005   #40
cool stuff,
but I dont think she'll fit into his cage :P

Old 02 February 2005   #41
Steven,
I love this piece very much. It seems to has meanings behind the image. and the flow of telling a story here is very strong as if we don't need any words to describe the situation.
Only thing that confuses me is the sense of scale between the fairy to the cage.
Anyway, since I've seen how u do it in the office I won't ask how you did the image again. But the rest of us in the studio always wonder how u got the idea for the pose from? did u really pose for urself in the toilet?
haha....
Anyway, hope u'll enjoy working on another piece that's coming. Cheers.

Old 02 February 2005   #42
Fantastic as always......

Old 02 February 2005   #43
Once again, blown away.

Old 02 February 2005   #44
fantastic work, Mr. Stahlberg! As some people have commented already, the narrative in the work really brings up the level of this work a few notches. I can't help but keep comming back to stare at it again, thanks to not only to the Superb execution, but the drama in particular. For lack of better words, it really adds alot of replay value for the viewers Great work indeed!

Old 02 February 2005   #45
Thousand thanks all!
Here's the link to a higher res:
http://www.androidblues.com/TrapperHi.jpg
You're right about the scale problem, didn't really register until now. It's a perspective problem. I'll see what I can do.

Thread Closed share thread