The King's Fairy Catcher (nudity), Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2005   #16
This one is a jaw dropper! Great work. There is something about the fairies I cant quite put my finger on. Maybe they need some fairy dust. Looks awesome!

Massive update to my site, tons of new art!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Roy Batty, replicant.

Old 02 February 2005   #17
Thanks! Forgot to say in the initial post: c&c most welcome (of course)! This has taken me about 4 - 5 days to do, but spread out over a couple weeks.
I'll post a hi-res tomorrow when I get into the office.
Those round shapes are just round brushmarks.
I'll think about darkening the fairies a little more, I've been struggling back and forth on that.
Yes the fairies started in 3d.

Old 02 February 2005   #18
Arrow

Exelent work, but it seems that the fairy doesn't look common with the other element of the image. The figure ot the fairys are too much 3D if we make parallel with other objects in the composition. In spite of all GOOD work! Keep it up!

Old 02 February 2005   #19
I'd agree with some of what already been said about how the fairies seem a little displaced from the rest of the piece, but I love HOW they are lit, excellent way of getting color in there. But also, they offer a great contrast to this dark king and the dark surroundings by being sort of separate like that so all in all I don't know if it would look better changed or not. I'd say not

Old 02 February 2005   #20
That must have hurt

Old 02 February 2005   #21
One word, WOW!!!

This is a great image. Masterfully done.

Old 02 February 2005   #22
Originally Posted by Velinov: Exelent work, but it seems that the fairy doesn't look common with the other element of the image. The figure ot the fairys are too much 3D if we make parallel with other objects in the composition. In spite of all GOOD work! Keep it up!

this is what i was going to say, but if i was doing this picture (i wish) then i would have maybe painted over the maya renders of the fairies just so they blend better with ther painterly stlye of the rest of the piece. they look a bit too finely rendered, in comparison. but i dont expect you ^STEVEN STAHLBERG^ to take advice from me.... russta.... i think im gonna go cry now. see you later... *snif*

Old 02 February 2005   #23
The originality of this idea is fantastic, and for that reason alone you deserve high praise.
Excellent work, intense composition, just work on integrating the the little winged beauties more naturaly into the scene. It's not that they are glowing, which you would expect from faeries, it's that(especially for the one furthest to the right) it seems as though something like sunshine is actually shining on them. except that it's not hitting any of the environment around. Atleast that's one of the things that sticks out for me.
Obviously though, it's beautiful to a T.

Old 02 February 2005   #24
Awesome, I love the classical look of the Fairies.

Old 02 February 2005   #25
I think this is one of your most impressive works to date. The short story adds a whole lot to the image.
I can usually spot your style, but you got me on this one.
Very good.

BTW, I'm glad to see all is well and good with you . You continue to inspire us.

Old 02 February 2005   #26
A very beautiful piece ! Good technique, good composition, the viewpoint is a bit that of the passer-by, the viewer is a bit detached from the on-going drama, I take it that was done deliberately. The lighting is superb. I dont agree at all with the fairies being too bright or too dominant, they are self-illuminating and I think the values at the moment are just right.

Wonderful, I wish I could make stuff like this

Old 02 February 2005   #27
A beautiful picture, reminiscent of romanticism.

The lighting doesn't bother me at all. It is a painterly lighting and doesn't need to follow the 3D obsession with reality. The fairies appear to have their own inner glow, which highlights their otherworldliness, as well as contrasts them against the dark woods in comparison to the dark catcher against the light. The lighting should help to tell the story rather than serve at the reality altar.

One small thing I have a problem with is an issue of scale, which is accentuated by the cage the catcher carries - I can't seem to see the fairy fitting in it. It would be hard to give the catcher a bigger cage without making it look odd so maybe he could have something like a pole with a noose on it - perhaps something more sinister to intimate the final end of the fairy as they aren't being caught to be kept as pets.

Old 02 February 2005   #28
woah, havent seen this typ of work from you Stahlberg, angels and stuff... awesome forest also

Old 02 February 2005   #29
Unlike most people, I think the lighting is actually done well and doesn't need to be changed.
If you dimmed them up too much, they would dissapear in the picture and your eye wouldn't move around and it would become boring.

And this is awesome work. Good job!

Old 02 February 2005   #30
I don't know that the Fairy Catcher is tall enough, if that cage is supposed to be sized for those Fairies. But I am sure you considered the scale in your intial layout, so I am probably mistaken.

Nice timbre to the work tho...

Thread Closed share thread