Rapt Patrol, Jerry LoFaro (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2014
Rapt Patrol, Jerry LoFaro (2D)

Title: Rapt Patrol
Name: Jerry LoFaro
Software: Photoshop
Submitted: 3rd January 2014

Art was created for Advanced Photoshop magazine as a demonstration of my creative process and use of Photoshop. I also had the great honor of being awarded a Grand Master with this piece in Expose' 5.

01 January 2014
This is a really fun piece! I looked at your portfolio and all your work is equally fantastic. I love the warped lenses, punchy palettes, and bold graphic contrasts of your dinos.

01 January 2014
Really great work Jerry! Fun and so much detail everywhere.

01 January 2014
This image looks like great popart piece for me. I love it

01 January 2014
Great work there, I love this piece and what you done with the dinosaurs all around.

| Coreldraw X6 | Cinema 4D R15 Prime | Lightwave 3D 11.6 | Moi 3D |

Google +

01 January 2014
Is this the same Jerry LoFaro that used to have stuff published in Airbrush Action back in the early 90s?

I remember seeing all your pieces back in the 80s and early 90s back when I was a traditional illustrator. I always wanted to create your landscapes in 3d, but never got around to it. We just need to get Dru Blair back around here and David Kimble then we'll have some amazing legends around here.

I look forward to seeing more of your work around here.

-Jon

01 January 2014
Smile Airbrush Action

Airbrush? What's an airbrush?!
YES...that would be me, Jon - I've been all digital since 2002. Thanks for remembering what I did a long time ago, and for sharing your name with one of my favorite lead singers!
Jerry

01 January 2014
No problem on the name thing. I try to live by a motto; "Say YES to Jon Anderson". It hasn't worked out as well as I would've have liked, but it's a work in progress. It did get me married though

Ha, I found one of my old Air Brush Action magazines from 1991. My wife made me get all this stuff out of our house, so its in the Studio library . First I always wanted to make your paintings into 3d animations, however, now I've been working with Unity and the Oculus Rift, I think we should make them into interactive paintings you can walk through using the Cyberith Virtualizer and really bring them to life.

Anyway, good to see a few talented veterans from the old school days. I sucked at the illustration game using traditional media, so I traded the rainbow boogers, frisket, exacto blades and air compressors for an UNDO button and layers to go digital full tilt digital around 1991 (CorelDraw and Photoshop) then went 3d around 1995.

I still have all my airbrushes and tools. Figured I would try to get my kids using them and do it for fun and fast t-shirt stuff, but the DTG printers took care of that for me.

I remember all the traditional big guns in Baltimore like Gary Yeadel being blown away by the upcoming digital tools.

You've adapted incredibly well.
Attached Images
File Type: png ABA_Cover_1991.png (76.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png Lafaro_Ad_1991.png (96.3 KB, 14 views)

01 January 2014
I've got around 30 airbrushes gathering dust...one of these days I'm going to build a proper museum display for them in my studio It's sometimes bittersweet that it's not part of my arsenal anymore, but ultimately I'm pretty happy with the improvement in my respiratory health!

Thanks for posting that old school stuff!

Speaking of animating my work, you remind me that I should post to CGS some of the interactive work that I created, and a link to how it was used...soon!

01 January 2014
Definitely post that interactive work. Are you strictly a PS user or do you use other tools as well? Have you had a chance to work with or explore some of the 3d sculpting tools like Mud box or Brush?

Back in early 2000s Dru Blair was beginning to work his way into Lightwave. He stopped by here for a short stint. Unfortunately it was to defend his photo realistic airbrush work. In same regards it was a compliment. Haven't seen seen him since.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=250158

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 01 January 2014 at 11:09 PM.

01 January 2014
Will do, and strictly PS...until I find the time to get around to learning the ZBrush program I bought last year!

Though I know Dru, I haven't been in touch with him in a while...I enjoyed checking out some of that old thread. I expect to seed him in Feb, and will tell him to get more creative with his technique and stop upsetting everyone

01 January 2014
Duplicate post

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 01 January 2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: duplicate post

01 January 2014
LOL. I'm sure he runs into it quite a bit. I just gave one of his paintings to my father in law for Christmas. He was a crew chief on the 13th B-1.

When I first met Dru he was still a T-shirt artist and just breaking into the illustration market. That's when he found out paint on crescent board can pay better than the beach and mall work. Although I know a few do really well with it.

Who are the bulk or your buyers or clients? What marketplace have you really been able to exploit? Have you tried any others? I remember back in the day, the game and animation companies were tapping all the top illustrators for concept work and style sheets.

The students you teach are extremely lucky to have a seasoned veteran. I was lucky to have a few as well but seems most are barely ahead of the class themselves, have limited real experience and haven't really done anything significant. I have the best luck capturing talent before college, then we influence their work throughout school. I keep recruiting talent younger and younger (high school through 8th grade). They seem a bit more open minded, resilient and innovative (not limited by self-made boundaries) than many graduating college students.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 01 January 2014 at 03:23 PM.

01 January 2014
That's what I keep telling my students!

The bulk of my work is in advertising, particularly packaging (notably Celestial Seasonings tea). In recent years, I'm becoming more and more successful developing my licensing portfolio, with the goal to phase out most of my commercial client work.

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by jerrylofaro: That's what I keep telling my students!

The bulk of my work is in advertising, particularly packaging (notably Celestial Seasonings tea). In recent years, I'm becoming more and more successful developing my licensing portfolio, with the goal to phase out most of my commercial client work.

Good luck with that. Licensing is always great. Especially to get away from commercial work and to keep a residual income from past labor. I did it on a small scale back when I was a T-shirt artists. I used to do well with royalties and reselling work for specific use on shirts, mugs and other ad specialty items. I had everything setup with separations and a template for name drops. It was enough to pay for my wedding and put my down on our first condo.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 01 January 2014 at 05:40 PM.

reply share thread