Weekly Animation Session 1 - The Jump!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2008
Weekly Animation Session 1 - The Jump!

Time to jumpstart this forum.

I am going to be holding a couple of quick weekly challenges over the next couple of months. Going to be focusing more on the physical side this time.

Without further wait, lets get going on our first weekly challenge!

This weeks challenge is:

The Jump!

Have your character jump forward from a standing position. Animation needs to convey good anticipation and timing. Character can be jumping over a gap, an obstacle or just jumping forward on flat ground.

Your character can be a biped or quadruped depending on how much challenge you want. if you are a beginner animator you are more than welcome to use a bouncing ball for this challenge.

Please post all WIP's and final animations in this thread for critique.

This challenge will run till Sunday the 26th. New challenge will be posted next Monday.

Good luck guys! Lets make it happen!

-A

Last edited by SheepFactory : 07 July 2008 at 06:05 PM.

07 July 2008
very nice topic...
very basic, but gives ALOT of space to move around and try something new.....going to start mine now,lol

good luck all.

07 July 2008
Yea keeping it simple so people can focus on the animation and finish it in the timeframe. I'll post a WIP by tonight I hope.

07 July 2008
Alrighty then, this sound like a nice one that I might actually see myself completing, good challenge. Im in.

07 July 2008
I will see if I can finish on time, I have to be at Comic-con starting Thursday so I am not sure if I will have enough time to finish before the weekend, but I will certainly jump back in on Monday.

07 July 2008
would jumping on the spot from a high ledge or diving block still be considered as a jump or is it more of a 'leap' or a 'fall'?

I have a scenario where i get my character to stand on the edge of a high platform and he's hesitating to jump, and in the end he does.
but if thats slightly out of the rules in terms of subject matter then i'll stray away from that one.

cheers

Last edited by nethstar : 07 July 2008 at 12:07 PM.

07 July 2008
As long as he is jumping forward it is fine.

07 July 2008
Excellent!! I was hoping to find something like this here, I really need to work on my body mechanics (as well as everything else, lol).

One question, do we link video of WIPs and finished work on youtube or something? Or is there a way to upload in quicktime, so that we can critique/get critiques with frame-specific feedback?

07 July 2008
Originally Posted by jboris: Excellent!! I was hoping to find something like this here, I really need to work on my body mechanics (as well as everything else, lol).

One question, do we link video of WIPs and finished work on youtube or something? Or is there a way to upload in quicktime, so that we can critique/get critiques with frame-specific feedback?

You can upload to vimeo which is MUCH better than youtube:

http://vimeo.com/

Or you can use your cgportfolio animation hosting if you are a cgs member. or just host the quicktime on your own web server.

For WIP's please have a frame counter in there guys, it makes it much easier to give critique.

07 July 2008
Hey all hope yours is going alright,

as for mine im just about a 3rd of the way there...had the extremes blocked out first, and then moved onto tweeking...
heres the playblast of it

The Jump

please give any tips you see fit while i still work on it...

and be gentle please, this is my first attempt at ANY challenge

also, is there any way of posting the vid to stream from the site onto this forum.

Last edited by nethstar : 07 July 2008 at 11:12 PM.

07 July 2008
Hey sheep,

This sounds really interesting. I may give it a go with a bouncing ball or a simple character. I was just wondering, is posting our WIP inside this current thread going to make it really messy?

-ivan

07 July 2008
Nethstar - Great start. I have one suggestion. With out a frame count its hard to describe where it is but between the second and third seconds your character picks himself up on his tippy toes. I think in anticipation to that I would suggest that he would shift his body weight forward and center himself more with the front of his feet as he rocks up to his toes.

07 July 2008
Jump Animation

Hello,
I think I am going to try this challenge. This will be my 1st animation challenge on CGtalk. It should be fun.

Do I need to rig a character or can I just show a biped jumping over a gap? C

07 July 2008
Originally Posted by ivanmeow: Hey sheep,

This sounds really interesting. I may give it a go with a bouncing ball or a simple character. I was just wondering, is posting our WIP inside this current thread going to make it really messy?

-ivan

I dont think it will be a problem. There will be a dozen of us entering at most. In the future depending on the number of entries we might decide otherwise.

For now lets keep posting in this thread and EVERYONE give feedback and post WIP's please.

-------

Originally Posted by coleman: Hello,
I think I am going to try this challenge. This will be my 1st animation challenge on CGtalk. It should be fun.

Do I need to rig a character or can I just show a biped jumping over a gap? C

You can use biped or any other free rig.

07 July 2008
Originally Posted by nethstar: Hey all hope yours is going alright,

as for mine im just about a 3rd of the way there...had the extremes blocked out first, and then moved onto tweeking...
heres the playblast of it

The Jump

please give any tips you see fit while i still work on it...

and be gentle please, this is my first attempt at ANY challenge

also, is there any way of posting the vid to stream from the site onto this forum.

Nice start. A couple quick pointers:

-You need to break some of your poses. Take the animation out of spline mode and put it in stepped mode. Then go in and put in your key and extreme poses. For your anim those would be the beginning > anticipation > step forward > goes down for jump > jump forward > highest point in air > goes down.

Make sure those poses are all great before you worry about anything else. Right now your arms are tweening and the timing is way off. Once you have those poses you can put it back to spline and open up the dopesheet editor to quickly move those keys around to time the anim. Make sure everything is keyed on the same frame and do not move individual keys before you start polishing your animation at the end.

Hope this helps and keep us updated!

Thread Closed share thread