Apis Soulraider - Character Concept, Kirsi Salonen (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
Apis Soulraider - Character Concept, Kirsi Salonen (2D)

Title: Apis Soulraider - Character Concept
Name: Kirsi Salonen
Software: Photoshop

Hi!

Made my very first 'villain' concept painting of a character belonging to my fantasy book project 'Ordera'.

He's one of the oldest races existing called a sentini, creature living in the center of leadership of the underworld Nezca. They are sworn enemies of the shawans, another ancient race with other purposes of living. Sentinis are masters of the 'dark matter', such as prophecies, dreams and shadow -magicks.

--

Name is everything to a sentini. Apis is their spiritual expert, third in command after Leonis and before Aldebaran. In total there's 9 of them.
So before chatting too much and since all of them are going to be painted with extreme detail, I'll just leave Apis's personal description as this:

' Riseth the Spirit, the stellar of the skies.'

"I'm gonna need a hacksaw."
-Jack Bauer

-My website, check it out!!-

-"Recall" in Choice Award Gallery-

12 December 2009
Thumbs up

Great concept Kirsi. Love the color scheme and the design. It reminds me a little of all the bugs we have down here in Florida, especially the upper part, with the thick collar above the head, horns and the hands... It really is a creepy looking character.

My web portfolio: http://www.creativedust.com
FACEBOOK

12 December 2009
Inspiring piece of work,really love mask

12 December 2009
Beautiful design, great work!

12 December 2009
Thank you Drazenka for your lovely comment! It's interesting that you mention bugs, since the idea of this character has been in the back of my mind actually for several years.. and partly it started from night moths (ermines in fact)! The name Apis comes from several sources, all meaning 'honeybee', as from astronomy and also the ancient god of Egypt was called the Apis (sacred bull-like god)
I wanted to create a perfect combination, so this is the result of many years of thinking =)

Thank you also Yellowcardas & Rokandic, cheers!!

-Kirsi

"I'm gonna need a hacksaw."
-Jack Bauer

-My website, check it out!!-

-"Recall" in Choice Award Gallery-

Last edited by kisalon : 12 December 2009 at 06:20 PM.

12 December 2009
This is really well done. The design of the character is beautifully painted and also tells a story. Good work!

-mozen

www.terryibele.com

12 December 2009
Amazing.

"...has been in the back of my mind actually for several years.." -
This is the border of my ability to think about some concept or so for a such long period of time. You are a good example for me. Super that now we all can see result of your work.

I think Apis perfectly matches description and purpose.
As usually very high level of details. I like how you used colors.
Hope to see next painting for 'Ordera' soon

12 December 2009
This is really really great. I really loves the design, this is a perfect noble villain. I wish i could do him in 3d... if only i had time.
I a way, he reminds me Mayuri Kurotsuchi from Bleach, but your design is a thoushand times better.

12 December 2009
I saw it on ItsArt mag gallery selection....Really impressive work...great lightning and colors

12 December 2009
Very beautiful Kirsi, the character, the color and the style are great

12 December 2009
Wow! Great detail work. The highlights really bring a lot of atmosphere to the character!

Love it!

12 December 2009
Beautiful character design Kirsi, I love this dark but attractive side like a fary tale for adult, a mixed of beauty and darkness. A dark fary tale. This stange feeling when I watch your stuff remind me "Pan's Labyrinth" directed by Guillermo Del Toro. Congratulation for this work Kirsi .

Cyril

12 December 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread