Treasure Hunting!, Jonny Duddle (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
Treasure Hunting!, Jonny Duddle (2D)

Title: Treasure Hunting!
Name: Jonny Duddle
Software: Painter, Photoshop

It's been a long time since I posted some finished work on CGtalk, but September was a good month for me. My first picture book, 'The Pirate Cruncher', was published in the UK by Templar Publishing. And to compete a creative month, my second daughter was born, which has a lot to do with the delay in posting this artwork on CGtalk!

'Treasure Hunting!' is the informal title for this spread which is actually the wraparound cover for the book. It's all digital from the sketches through to final art. Photoshop CS3 was used for sketching, layout and blocking in colours (on a Cintiq 21UX), and Corel Painter for most of the 'painting'. There were twenty double-page spreads in total, and with all the detail it turned into a bit of a marathon. But it was all worth while when I got my first copies and read it aloud to my four-year old daughter, Daisy...

I'll post up a few more spreads on this thread, which will hopefully give a flavour of the book.

And if anyone's interested in buying a copy, it's available from all good book stores in the UK, and at a pretty good price at some of the larger online retailers, if anyone from distant shores fancies a pirate-y read! (Am I allowed to promote like this, I'll delete if it's against the rules!)

Old 11 November 2009   #2
Great picture!

P.S. Congratulations with publication of the book!

Old 11 November 2009   #3
The Pirate Cruncher!

And here are a few spreads from the inside of the book... These might be a bit big, so if people get annoyed, I can re-size them a bit!

The text is an early version of the story, and some of this changed by publication.

Last edited by duddlebug : 11 November 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #4
I really love your work! Cool as always

Old 11 November 2009   #5
very nice.i like this style.

Old 11 November 2009   #6
The illustrations are fabulous, Jonny! Congratulations on the book. It must be a wonderful feeling to see all your hard work in book form and know that it will be a treasure (a little pirate play on words there) in the hands of many children for years to come. And a new baby girl too! I'm thinking that probably even trumps the book!

Old 11 November 2009   #7
Nice work Jonny.

You have a very unique style.

I also like your colouring.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
Congratulations Jonny, what can I say, simply marvelous, I would love to see my work on a children book too. As I have six years old and one and a half year small pirates, I´m gonna order it from Amazon, here in Spain it could be difficult to find otherwise. Wish you best of lucks my friend.

Old 11 November 2009   #9
Bah... pirates! Shiver me timbers if you don't deserve a front page you land lubber! Arrrrrr...

Old 11 November 2009   #10
Your painting is epic ! great work !
The book is also incredible, I really dig your drawing/painting style !

Old 11 November 2009   #11
Wonderful to see you posting again Jonny. Especially pleasing when it's something as great as this funtastic image, accompanied by the news that not only have you got what sounds/looks like a beautiful and entertaining book out, but that it's through my favourite publisher to work with - Templar. I'll work with them any opportunity I get. They are some of the good guys.

Many congratulations on your new family addition too. Everything happening at once in the Duddle household it seems. Good for you.

Best wishes,
Nick

Old 11 November 2009   #12
Thumbs up

Excellent work~ so good~
Congratulations on your books, it makes us look forward

Old 11 November 2009   #13
AWESOME! Excellent characters and illustrations! Love that ship. Congratulations on getting published and for your new child! Hope things are going well for your family.

Old 11 November 2009   #14
funny

its truly AMAZING.......... what a brilliant work.... i can just say thanx a lot 4 sharing.....
this inspired me to do some funny stuff...........

.........road to my blog

Old 11 November 2009   #15
Great stuff man !!

Thread Closed share thread