Flying Dutchman, Z. Lynda Bathory (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2009
Flying Dutchman, Z. Lynda Bathory (2D)

Title: Flying Dutchman
Name: Z. Lynda Bathory
Software: Maya, Photoshop

Flying Dutchman

Photoshop Painting with Maya Model

February 2009

Original size: 3000 x 4500 pixels

Entered for the Steampunk Challenge

I have always found the tale of this damned ship to be very sorrowful. As a steampunk version, I wanted to create an air ship that echoed the tall ships from the legend, and so I added the inverted "masts" to the underside of the gondola.

As I was researching my subject, I came across a description of the Dutchman on a website that intrigued me:

"A strange red light as of a phantom ship all aglow, in the midst of which light the mast, spars and sails of a brig 200 yards distant stood out in strong relief."

I chose to create my Dutchman in copper because of this reference to a "red glow" for the ship. I wanted to give a more plausible explanation for the myth's description of color for the Steampunk style. I created a basic model with Maya to get general shading and reflection of the metal. Painting the rich colors of oxidized copper in Photoshop and adding a ghostly red atmospheric glow to enhance it. In addition, red running lights and the engine room on fire give more layers to the overall color impression of this description. And while this tale is sorrowful enough, I chose to add the shipwrecked crew to punctuate the idea that there are far more terrible fates than death as the ghost crew is doomed to roam forever in an aging, corroding, and burning ship. The pitiful shipwrecked crew is hoping for rescue unaware of what fate awaits them.

Originally entered in the Steampunk Challenge, I have made some slight alterations to the entry. The bolts on the airship seams were not complete and I decided to change the lights on the starboard side to green.

I would also like to share a detail view of the gondola and the ghost crew:

Since this painting was based on a Maya reference model, here is how this painting started:

Comments and critiques most welcome.
Steampunk

Strange Behavior

03 March 2009
really COOL!! I love it

03 March 2009
well done Lynda , i like it so much

03 March 2009
Hello HUACHONGBO and MindedVague

Thank you for your positive comments! I am happy you like my work.
Steampunk

Strange Behavior

03 March 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread