Blood.. anyone?, yinyin xu (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2009
Blood.. anyone?, yinyin xu (2D)

Title: Blood.. anyone?
Name: yinyin xu
Software: Photoshop

well.. really inspired by my signature "About 98% of teenage girls are Edward Cullen fans, if you are the 2% who thought vampires were sexy before Edward, post this in your sig"

LOL~

so.. meet this Lady Vampire,
so messy , skinny, but still sexy ~
blood anyone?

03 March 2009
I like , I like, very nice tones.

03 March 2009
Holy crap I can't believe no ones posted a reply yet!

This is an amazing piece, really simple yet evocative and well done.

Stunning, well done!

- Scott Adams

03 March 2009
I'll post for you. There are several things working for and against this piece. The blood smear on the lips and chin are too muted (a little more saturated red, too dark). The eyes, although well rendered, are too strong compared to the cheeks and sort of pop out more than nessecary, distorting her expression.

Her arms carry too much black and grey shadows, which are muddying the values and flattening her arm. And you're carrying too much of the background color in it, so the shape is distorted and lost. Use tints of colors light dark blues, sienna browns, greens, reds, and sometimes even purple colors for shadow values on skin tones. Use some of it to carry the contours of the arm so that it can be made out as it goes down. It should also help round her arm again and give it more substance (this is a common problem that people run into when shadowing human figures and skintones. Ease up on blacks, and use browns and cool colors more).

More hair details on the top of the head should help it from looking too solid. The rest of the hair looks ok. It can get away with the slightly transparent look. In fact, the right side especially looks really good for the hair. Be careful of the highlight and blood reflected light on the shoulder. Although the colors are good, they need to follow the shape of the shoulder and arm a little better, since the shoulder is not perfectly round.

Your background lighting and color choice is very good and blends well with the mood of the piece. Your composition and the amount of the character seen is well choosen. As I said earlier, you have both good things working here, and several complications that are taking away or causing problems for this piece. It happens all of the time, I certainly see it in my work often. This piece does show that you have skill, and you are surely getting there, but a lack of great familiarity of the human form and face with some slightly problematic value rendering is keeping this piece from reaching it's full growth. You're doing a great job so far. Do not be discouraged. I look forward to seeing your next piece. Keep up the great work. You're doing a good job.

03 March 2009
Thumbs up

a.Default
Thank you so much

Originally Posted by linainverse23: I'll post for you. There are several things working for and against this piece. The blood smear on the lips and chin are too muted (a little more saturated red, too dark). The eyes, although well rendered, are too strong compared to the cheeks and sort of pop out more than nessecary, distorting her expression.

Her arms carry too much black and grey shadows, which are muddying the values and flattening her arm. And you're carrying too much of the background color in it, so the shape is distorted and lost. Use tints of colors light dark blues, sienna browns, greens, reds, and sometimes even purple colors for shadow values on skin tones. Use some of it to carry the contours of the arm so that it can be made out as it goes down. It should also help round her arm again and give it more substance (this is a common problem that people run into when shadowing human figures and skintones. Ease up on blacks, and use browns and cool colors more).

More hair details on the top of the head should help it from looking too solid. The rest of the hair looks ok. It can get away with the slightly transparent look. In fact, the right side especially looks really good for the hair. Be careful of the highlight and blood reflected light on the shoulder. Although the colors are good, they need to follow the shape of the shoulder and arm a little better, since the shoulder is not perfectly round.

Your background lighting and color choice is very good and blends well with the mood of the piece. Your composition and the amount of the character seen is well choosen. As I said earlier, you have both good things working here, and several complications that are taking away or causing problems for this piece. It happens all of the time, I certainly see it in my work often. This piece does show that you have skill, and you are surely getting there, but a lack of great familiarity of the human form and face with some slightly problematic value rendering is keeping this piece from reaching it's full growth. You're doing a great job so far. Do not be discouraged. I look forward to seeing your next piece. Keep up the great work. You're doing a good job.

i really appreciate all of your comment, thank you so much! it really helps me to be a better artist, still learning how to color in realist style
Thanks again

03 March 2009
Wink

No problem. I know what it means to get good comments and detailed critiques. I hope for them everytime I post something. Your foundational skills are there, you just need to refine them more (of course, never forget your foundations as well). Keep up the good work.

03 March 2009
Great work. love the work on the blood

regards

03 March 2009
The eyes are the strongest thing in this work. The hand looks broken or malformed, the shoulder is not connected to the body, and the right ear is a weird mess. At first glance this is an OK piece, but it needs a lot of work.

03 March 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread