The Joker, Mike Thompson (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2008
The Joker, Mike Thompson (2D)

Title: The Joker
Name: Mike Thompson
Software: Painter

I just finished this painting for Warner Bros. using Painter X. It will be used on apparel and stationary. I really enjoyed this piece and hope to do more for them. Please feel free to comment! I don't know how to add multiple files here. I did want to upload my progress picts as well as a really big final, sorry.
@miketartwork YouTube

09 September 2008
Very good job and technique but I don't understand why they didn't use the original photo ^^

09 September 2008
Quote: I don't understand why they didn't use the original photo

I guess it's the choice you make when making a movie based on a cartoon character:\

This painting is great, Mike. It's way more interesting looking at a detailed painting than a dull photograph.

Oh, and if you want more pictures in your post, upload them with any imagehost and paste the URL in here in [img][/img] tags.

09 September 2008
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PapaNinja: Very good job and technique but I don't understand why they didn't use the original photo ^^

Put them side by side and after a short examining you will find your answer.

brilliant work. 5*

09 September 2008
best one yet. (Joker portraits)

09 September 2008
Crazy good! Please post all the progress and big finals you want!

09 September 2008
Thanks for the support guys!

I just wanted to add a larger pict of the original drawing and detail image. I am going to get a couple of progress picts of the painting to put them up as well. I really appreciate the positive feedback. I like to think there is a difference between what I do and a photo. hah. My wife does tell me I need to work a little less tight than I do though.

I am starting to get a complex, I always submit to the gallery submission and always get a very polite reject letter. This one got passed over too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Ah well, I will keep trying. There are a ton of incredible artists here so I don't mind as much. It makes me want to step up my work which is the point I guess.

-Mike
@miketartwork YouTube

Last edited by MikeTArtworks : 09 September 2008 at 03:45 PM.

09 September 2008
Post Working picts

Here are the files.

@miketartwork YouTube

Last edited by MikeTArtworks : 09 September 2008 at 06:28 PM.

09 September 2008
well done. really like the palette and mood that it has.

my website;
www.waheednasir.com

09 September 2008
Nice Job Mike. That hair and glove really stand out as the best parts to me. Beautifully done. As illustrators we can really dig ourselves into a hole by doing such tight detailed work, cuz once you're known for it you can't really go back. I know what you mean about loosening up. I started looking at portrait artists that handle the face and clothing looser for portrait studies. Also went back to look at how some of my old instructors handle the paint. Then tried to mimic that instead of rendering every pore like I was doing. Essentially breaking down the illustration and the figure by level of importance. I kinda like letting the image bleed out from the focal point of the figure. Portrait artists like Max Ginsburg, Scott Burdick, and Garin Baker do this well. I'll email some links for you to check out.

As for the gallery submissions, don't sweat it. You know your stuff is on point. Around here if the image isn't some half naked woman in a sexy pose (painted without reference or understanding of anatomy) or some funky monster/demon thing, you might get overlooked.

You should've said you painted this joker image without reference. That always seems to peak peoples interest.

EW

09 September 2008
Hah, Indeed Eric. Thanks man! (Note to self... ) try to remember naked chicks before I got married, then paint them on dragons! Check and mate. Congrats on the Underwater City piece, by the way, great work!
@miketartwork YouTube

09 September 2008
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeggis: This painting is great, Mike. It's way more interesting looking at a detailed painting than a dull photograph.

Oh, and if you want more pictures in your post, upload them with any imagehost and paste the URL in here in [img][/img] tags.

Thanks Jeggis, will do!
@miketartwork YouTube

09 September 2008
Spot on!!!

09 September 2008
that looks so real.... good job

09 September 2008
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Congratulations !
Joker is very very beautiful !

Thread Closed share thread