Mortal Kombat Sub-Zero vs Kung Lao, Oliver Loftus (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Mortal Kombat Sub-Zero vs Kung Lao, Oliver Loftus (2D)

Title: Mortal Kombat Sub-Zero vs Kung Lao
Name: Oliver Loftus
Software: Photoshop

This was the winning entry in a Mortal Kombat draw off I took part in. The challenge was to depict a fatality move from the Mortal Kombat computer game series.

I chose to do Kung Lao with his razor edged hat, because I always thought he looked very dark and cool, and it's in the format of a cover page (like for a comic book).

There are a few hidden details, such as the secret character from the game (Smoke) hiding in the trees at the back.

The whole thing took me roughly 8 days, doing a little bit each evening after work.

08 August 2008
Details of Kung Lao and Smoke in the background.

And these are some earlier snippets from Sub Zero, I spent quite a long time on his arms and hands, but I think after I had added all the ambient colours and lighting and stuff a lot of the details got a little burned out, but here they are for you to see anyway.

08 August 2008
Mortal Kombat: one of unforgettable video game series.

Good remembering for me.

08 August 2008
Talking

so amazing..i love the fatality
blood looks a bit more like clay..
anyways amazing work,,,.. 4 from me

08 August 2008
No wonder you won. The point of view, the movement and atmosphere is top notch. If the blood was just a bit more transluscent and thereby a tad more realistic you'd be up for 5 instead of 4. Still darn good work.

08 August 2008
very nice camera angle and dynamism .. as mentioned, the blood could be worked on some more ... plus a few more dark trees fading into the forest ...
all in all ... i really really love mortal kombat and this artwork brings back memories!

08 August 2008
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I also love Mortal Kombat.

The blood was actually one of the parts I found most challenging. Before I start on a picture I like to brainstorm a checklist of elements I need to include which are important to the subject. For example a steampunk image would have to have some brass and pressure dials (etc...) to really nail the genre. Then I keep checking the list to make sure I've included everything, otherwise it can be too easy to forget something obvious like 'steam'.

For the Mortal Kombat fatality picture one of the first things I wrote down was that it absolutely must have lots of blood, because MK was renowned for it's over the top gore.

However when it came to painting the blood I ran into quite a few problems, one was that in reality the hat probably wouldn't pick up anywhere near as much blood as I wanted it to (if any). Also I wanted lots of red gloupy blood in an atmosphere that was largely dark and blue. So I ended up having to take quite a lot of artistic licence with the blood, and I agree that it could have been done better, the blood is probably the part that niggles me most about the picture.

10 October 2008
If it is possible can you send me or upload here scratch of this hand, ya'know - only pencil lines you've made at the beginig. Thaks at all.

~cheers!

10 October 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread