The Devil's Mermaid, Kurt Williams (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2008
The Devil's Mermaid, Kurt Williams (2D)

Title: The Devil's Mermaid
Name: Kurt Williams
Software: Photoshop

This is another image derived from random thumbnails in Photoshop. It took about a week and I was thinking that it might be fun to paint an "under the sea" image without the usual deep sea palette.

03 March 2008
Shooooey, such gorgeous detail! I love her skintone and the complexity of the piece. At first, it was a teensy bit hard to read, but it simply challenges the viewer to weave their way through it. I'm so diggin' this!

03 March 2008
Smile

Thanks,

I'm a big fan of Klimt and Kinuko Craft so I'm trying to get that "dreamy" feel in the composition. I think that this one could use a border or something to frame it up because I agree that it's hard to keep your eyes from moving off the page.

03 March 2008
Nice:)

Kurt, Beautiful work! I feel like a kid in a candy store where the detail work is the candy. Yes my eyes float of the picture now and then, but all that "sugar" draws me back. I love it!

03 March 2008
hey,

i like the colors-pretty awesome-the way you handled the gold really gives it that ripply underwater effect.the pearls are awesome too-the more i look at it the more details i see.i think you should submit it to ballistic books- i think they are looking for submissions for digital painting 2.great work.

03 March 2008
Wink

Thank you TMArtist, I was just looking at your Lady of the Lake the other day and admiring how you handled the transition of her dress under the water (I've got a thing for water lilies and koi too ).

Thanks merc13, glad you like it. I did submit to several books this year but with the amount of high quality work out there, this just wasn't good enough. That's cool though because this is my first year painting in photoshop. I really appreciate the positive feedback, it helps to keep me going.

03 March 2008
Breathtaking! When this came up on my screen I said "wow" out loud Congratulations on a beautiful piece.

03 March 2008
Thanks Wendy,

Glad you like it! I checked out your work too, it has a nice watercolor feel to it and a definite style is showing through.

Thanks again to everyone!

04 April 2008
lovely

lovely, but it would be nice to see close ups of the detail in this image, it's a bit small to view it to it's full potential.

04 April 2008
Wink

Hey alyssaforrest,
Thanks for asking, I’ve been meaning to post additional details so here they are with a process walk-through too.

My process is a modified version of the same technique that Scott Robertson explains in his DVD “Creating Unique Environments”. I wish I had seen his video about 20 years ago because it opened the creative floodgates for me. Anyway, I hope the detail image gives you a better idea of how “loose” my technique is when viewed at full scale. I really don't render it as tight as I should.

This is the process image. Not really detailed but I hope it helps.

04 April 2008
Thumbs up

To me, the most interesting thing happened between Stage1 and 2. I really admire your creativity in dealing with the color mess and arranging the whole image. The colors you used, they are truly very UNUSUAL for such a theme(deep sea)!

A great job and looking forward more!
5*

04 April 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread