Samurai Concpet- Butterfly, Cole Eastburn Cole Eastburn (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2007
Samurai Concpet- Butterfly, Cole Eastburn Cole Eastburn (2D)

Title: Samurai Concpet- Butterfly
Name: Cole Eastburn Cole Eastburn
Software: Photoshop

This is a conceptual of a samurai called the butterfly. I gave her 6 swords for the six legs of a butterfly and two big flags to act as wings. About 15 hours. Photoshop and painter. Any crits are most welcome and appreciated.

08 August 2007
Great character, beautifully lit and painted.

08 August 2007
Thank you very much Bell. I really appreciate the compliment.

08 August 2007
Sweet character design! I definitely like the armor.

I wonder how she draws all six haha :P

08 August 2007
the idea of siw swords like butterfly legs are interessting! the desing and the coloring is wonderful! a lot of work indeed, but that's really good! five stars for me =)

08 August 2007
You did a really good job on the perspective of those swords.

I'm a little more concerned about the way the hair is flowing, especially over the face.
Also, why just an abstract background? I think it would work much better with an eqully faded realistic BG.

08 August 2007
Thank you. I really appreciate the compliments and im glad everyone is liking the character. In response to what Killer Instinct said...(which is a badass name, and awesome video game) I think you're right on both counts. I really didnt have time to paint a realistic backdrop like I wanted to. And I basically just through in the hair to get it done and move onto the next painting I needed to finish. I like painting nice backgrounds when I have to time to, but I really want to be a character designer, so to me the characters always come first.

Thanks for the crits Killer. Much appreciated.

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by goombaman: In response to what Killer Instinct said...(which is a badass name, and awesome video game)

Thanks for the compliment, but its actually the nickname of Doug Gilmour, my favourite hockey player :P
And I'm glad you saw the same things I did, are you going to come back to this one at some point?

08 August 2007
hmm, i like the backdrop, some nice brush work there, even if it's just a quick way to finish the picture. This could go both ways, it could be a full-blown painting (where yes, a scene would be nice) or a character concept, and for a character study, it's great as it is.
My only small issue is the secondary light, which i think is a little too strong and too purple. It shines so bright on the character, but then there are no such highlights on the grass. Dimming it might help balance it out.

Anyway, great job!

Last edited by Melo : 08 August 2007 at 08:55 PM.

08 August 2007
fantastic character design!

08 August 2007
I think you are quite right melo. That secondary light is way to bright, it competes to much with the key light. Good call. And thanks for bringing that to my attention.

08 August 2007
beautiful work~

08 August 2007
welldone mate.i like ur samurai conceptbeen to ur gallery and i must say ur works are awesome!

08 August 2007
Thank you very much Michael. And thanks for the network request.

09 September 2007
Hey .. That's a lovely artwork I had missed out ..
Great details and textures ..

Thread Closed share thread