Help! for my son Ted, Glen Angus (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #1
Help! for my son Ted, Glen Angus (2D)

Title: Help! for my son Ted
Name: Glen Angus
Software: Photoshop

This illustration was perhaps the hardest thing I have ever done.Not because of content or style but the subject matter.
Why because it is a painting of my 2 year old boy Teddy. Who has been recently diagnosed with autism.

It is based on a few principles (well unfortunately realities)
Children with autism need early intervention- when their minds are still in that sponge like pliable stage- so that they can develop new pathways of learning and have a better chance at leading the closest thing to what we call a normal life.
Currently in the state of Wisconsin there is an extremely long waiting list to get aid from the government to pay for the proper therapy-called a waiver (aprox. $100,000-$150,000 a year)

The other painful thing is to know that there is a real great child in there. I say "in there" because (as hopefully illustrated in my painting) they are aware and intelligent yet cannot simply communicate or show their love or emotions, which must be so horribly frustrating. (Hence what I feel everyone sees when they think of a child with autism throwing a violent tantrum) Imagine being trapped mentally in what would feel like a permanent claustrophobic cell, wanting to cry out to those you love but not having the voice to do so.

This image was created because of the premises and how sadly and ironically people do not know enough about this condition, yet we all know and love our (what I refer to as) death TV. Shows like Law and Order, CSI, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Bones, etc. Where they will boost their ratings by having horrible atrocities like being buried alive to chill the viewer's imaginations. Worse yet they will use children in their stories to further stir our emotions (Law and Order SVU in my humble opinion by far the most ruthless in doing this).

Anyways- this isn't about violence on TV- It's about how my son is in a way buried alive, and much like the way the shows on TV go- there is a limited amount of time to metaphorically "reach him".

I sincerely hope you like this image and find it stirring enough to help me out. I know a lot of you, and have tried to help many of you out with your artwork in the past,
I do not intend to presume you owe me anything for that- I simply implore that you take a couple minutes out of your day, tell your friends to visit and follow the link that I have provided below to politely voice your opinion in asking the government to lower the time it takes to get children like my son help.
Also to show your support for an upcoming mandate that will push insurance companies to cover children with autism's therapy, for which they currently do nothing.
It doesn't have to be much- a sentence or two and a copy to this link. You do not have to be from Wisconsin or even this country to show your support.

Please consider.

Here is the link:
http://www.wisgov.state.wi.us/contact.asp?locid=19
please CC: Robert.Marchant@legis.wisconsin.gov <Robert.Marchant@legis.wisconsin.gov>
Tamlynn Sallows <tsallows@wiautism.com>
kalston@agre.org <kalston@agre.org>

If I have offended or misused this forum to try and proactively use my talents to help him out, and or put you in an uncomfortable position-you
have my most sincere apologies. If the moderators of CGtalk deem this is not the stage to present this personal matter- and choose to move this thread
to a more personal section of this site I understand- you have already been too generous to me in the past and I will take no offence to it being moved.
If you do- I would truly appreciate anything you can do to promote people to visiting this post wherever it may end up.

Respectfully,
Glen aka gangus

Image painted entirely in Photoshop
www.gangus.net

Old 02 February 2007   #2
Wonderful

Wonderfully touching and the depth of meaning is only driven home by your conviction. I do not think you need to apologize for making your voice heard, sometimes the most poignant of art is the art that speaks the voice of truth, that incites the want to bring about change. Your passion is evident. Autism is truly one of those things people don't even consider, but the fact that it is so much more prevalent than people realize is alarming. I read somewhere the chances of a child being born with autism is 1/100 (correct me if I am mistaken)..and yet I am willing to bet most people don't even know that. Those are staggering figures..

On a more personal sidenote, I wish you..your son..your entire family the very best of luck in bringing out the beautiful freedom within your son.

Old 02 February 2007   #3
That's a really touching post, Glen. Trite as 'internet emotion' can often sound, I sincerely hope Ted gets the help he needs. The image is immensely powerful. I wish you all the best.

Phil

Old 02 February 2007   #4
Hi, no comments man, Illustration tells pretty much everything.
Hope everything goes well with your son, and they reach him in time, aswell any other child today and/or in future.
This should be Front paged I guess!?
Goad bless !

Old 02 February 2007   #5
Art is suppose to evoke emotions. Even when it maybe unconfortable or heaven forbid thought provoking. Well done and I commend CG Talk for keeping and promoting freedom of expression.

I hope this posting will help you and your family and others like you.

As you may or may not know the former president of Autodesk Canada has recently stepped aside so he can spend more time with his autistic son. The duties had become to stressful for him not to be there.

I beleive Autodesk supports a foundation for this.

Old 02 February 2007   #6
So sorry to hear about your son. I hope things will be alright.

Old 02 February 2007   #7
Thumbs up

Very fierce, I like this style,

Old 02 February 2007   #8
Oh ... I am so sorry for your son ... Hope he will be ok
Good luck .

Old 02 February 2007   #9
I saw a documentary a few years ago, to dispell the myth that autism was mental retardation, but rather a nervous system disorder. Seeing children (with practice) typing on a keyboard such things as 'Trapped in my body' and 'I tell my hands to do one thing, and they do another' brought this grown up to tears.

This work does the same.

As a father of two, I am reminded everyday how lucky I am to be alive and have children w/o such an affliction. I sincerely hope that one day if not a cure, then a treatment to aid both the children and their families become more available in both opportunity and financial aspects.

I wish you and yours the best.

Brett

Old 02 February 2007   #10
This goes strait to the hart, fabiluse work and Im so sorry ... Hope you will be strong to manage this unfair life .. Love.

Old 02 February 2007   #11
This is a cruel world Glen, at least you live in a country that "helps" this kids.

I don't want to become personal, but you have your son there, alive, at your side, to love and protect him.

Enjoy your son man, the help will come.

All my love to you and your family.

PS: the illustration is great.

DOMINANCE WAR III

Old 02 February 2007   #12
Great job, I love seeing your different styles. This image really hits the emotion on the head, and anyone can read it and relate quickly. Great job on painting such a touching subject to you, thats gotta be the hardest part.

Old 02 February 2007   #13
Hi Glen. You and your family are still in my thoughts, and I trust that you'll find that silver lining around this seemingly dark cloud. Your piece is very touching. I'm losing my internet tonight, and don't know when I'll be back on again, but will urge all my friends asap to follow your links and contribute their thoughts and ideas and whatever else they can. Good luck.

Old 02 February 2007   #14
I'm very sorry to hear about the diagnosis of your boy, be strong. I hope the best for your family and thanks for the art and inspiration you've provided to us.

Old 02 February 2007   #15
This is what Art is all about self expression and life experience. You need not apologise for this you are venting feelings, passion and love for your son. This is then being vented through your heart and spilt out onto the page, showing a very true full manifestation of what it truly is to be an Artist. In doing this you are being completely unselfish by making people aware of this condition and trying to make a positive out come for other future families and children that have autism. Well done Glen you are a true Artist. Best wish for your family and son, never lose hope. Fore he who has health, has hope, but fore he who has hope, has everything.

Your sincerely,
Colin

Thread Closed share thread