Of Fairies and Dragons, Michelle Boulad (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #1
Of Fairies and Dragons, Michelle Boulad (2D)

Title: Of Fairies and Dragons
Name: Michelle Boulad
Software: Painter

This is a painting from a few months ago that I've just revised. I thought it was a bit too dark, and wanted to change a few things...clean up here, softer there, more detail in some areas.

These are eastern gippsland water dragons and fairybelle orchids, both natives of eastern Australia. I'm not sure of the name of the butterflies, but we often see them close to water, on the banks of rivers and such.

Old 11 November 2006   #2
Wow! I love how you've done the foliage! Did you use a custom brush for that or did you paint the leaves individually?

Old 11 November 2006   #3
Hi James, thanks for your comment

I painted them individually; to be honest I'm not really sure what you mean by a custom brush for the leaves (sorry I'm not much of a techie lol) I've tried playing with the brush creator with only minimal success and tend to stick to the brushes that came with Painter.

Old 11 November 2006   #4
Beautiful image, you have a very distinct style.

The only tiny little thing I could think of to make it even more powerful, it could use a little more contrast, more light, e.g. like the "Gibraltar Falls" image from your Gallery (very beautiful as well ^_^). That one has awsome lighting.

Just my humble opinion, great work anyways.

Old 11 November 2006   #5
Ah! Yeah! In Photoshop the Brush Creator in Painter is called Custom Brush Preset, but it's the same thing! I think!

Old 11 November 2006   #6
Thanks Sorcha, I think you're right. I seem to have lost the contrast on the middle waterdragon and the rock he's standing on, probably when I lightened the work. Well, it couldn't hurt to play around with it some more

Rudd, thanks for answering...yep, that's what I thought. I did make some brushes once for working fur on an animal, but to be honest I wasn't happy with the mechanical look it gave. I guess it wouldn't hurt to play around with the brush creater again at some point I like working as though it were traditional, though, at least for now.

Old 11 November 2006   #7
my hand and wrist ache for you on all those beautiful leaves! This is quite exquisite upon inspection - beautifully rendered and very well done. Thank you for sharing!

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 11 November 2006   #8
Thanks Runecaster I'm the official 'jar opener' in my house, painting builds strong hand lol

Old 11 November 2006   #9
Beautiful! Wonderful colours and detailwork

Old 11 November 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread