Assassin's Creed E3 trailer matte painting, Benoit Ladouceur (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2006   #61
Looks very breathtaking, and has a brilliant sense of scale. Makes me want to dabble with matte painting myself.

5 stars for you. And Assassin's Creed looks like it's coming along nicely.

Old 06 June 2006   #62
Hi,
Excellent realization, congratulations.
E.T

Old 06 June 2006   #63
Amazing piece!

Old 06 June 2006   #64
Incredible work!

All your artwork comes out very well.
Congratulations!

That camera angle came out just perfect! I can see how much difficulties you got.
I use XSI too, never tought of using it for a Matte Painting, very intersting! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

BTW thanks for the trailler link too, that trailler is awesome really.

Best wishes,

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

Old 06 June 2006   #65
good works

good work!good environments !

Old 06 June 2006   #66
Thanks guys for such positive feedback !! (I'm going to start blushing...)

CoreyArtE: The wall was basically painted over the rendered geometry... If you look at the attachment I posted a while back, you'll see that there are no rocks in the actual geometry of the wall. To obtain that result I used a mix of paint and references from ruins taken off the net. In order to get the uneven edge to the crumbled areas I simply used grids with alpha transparency to break up the edges.

morphine: The pic disapeared? I just checked, everything seems fine with both pic and the attachment..

Col-Reaction: try it out !! I'm sure you'll like it !

Djampa: The most problematic areas where around the breach in the main wall where there was the most paralax. I have used a bunch of softwares for matte work in the past (depends mostly on what the company I'm working for at the time uses)... I keep coming back to XSI because I like how easy it is to connect all the different layers together and how I can create all my passes so easily. I especially like the shader node layer editor... (makes my life as a matte painter half as complicated)

Old 06 June 2006   #67
Wait... I am a bit confused. This was part of a fly by scene from the game right? Did this scene rotate or was it simply used as a still image?

Old 06 June 2006   #68
This is a really awsome piece yellowdog, the lighting and subject matter make this image pleasing look at. Compositionally this is very strong, and i can't believe the depth that was achieved. Well Done Man, really well done!!

Old 06 June 2006   #69
CoreyArtE: the shot was done specifically for the trailer... I used some models from the game to speed up my work. I imported the church model, the fortress and the wall from game assets. I then gave 'em higher rez textures and rendered pics out to use in my matte painting. The matte painting was a still picture projected back onto geometry in XSi to obtain the dolly-in motion we see in the final rendered shot

SquarePixel: thks ... very appreciated !!

Old 06 June 2006   #70
Excellent work

bye bye
Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
available for freelance jobs
www.art2upz.com

RnD | Simulation Reel July 2014
3D Generalist Reel Winter 2012

Old 06 June 2006   #71
Looking great

Saw an article for this game in some magazine, its looking great.

This picture only adds to my anticipation, incredible work!

Old 06 June 2006   #72
Smile amazing

Benoit,

This piece is breathtaking. I remember watching the trailer with a few friends and we were blown away. This shot was what got us excited to see more!

Keep it up

Old 06 June 2006   #73
impressive work, well done.

Old 06 June 2006   #74
Thanks for taking the time for teaching this to me. You're a very nice guy. Stay cool man. You do great work.

Old 06 June 2006   #75
hey beniot - now that's some seriously nice work you've done here. well deserved feature for you! =) the only thing that bugs me a little bit is the low quality area on the left. it's surely not visible in the trailer... but in this still shot it is visible. it's the only flaw i can see though. keep up the fantastic work!

Thread Closed share thread