Assassin's Creed E3 trailer matte painting, Benoit Ladouceur (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Excellent Work!

Congratulations, excellent work. I've taken a really close look and still can't tell what's matte painting and what's XSI. Congratulations awsome compositing, texturing and lighting work! Excellent opening sequence for the trailler.
By the way, the trailler it's superb... Ubisoft really made it.

Last edited by NunoNisa : 05 May 2006 at 11:54 PM.

05 May 2006
Gorgeous work, that would have been a blast to work on.

All of us here over at SOE Seattle are really excited about this game also.

-L

05 May 2006
I'm in awe! Incredible work! Well done! 5 stars

05 May 2006
wow dude!! thats pretty awesome matte painting.

I love the videos of that game , I can wait to play it.

5 stars

05 May 2006
The final output is fantastics man.Really like it.

05 May 2006
WOW!!! God, so much texture. Excellent work. I wish you would have made this in 3d,as such work could be used in future projects.

05 May 2006
very great artwork
only the fornt left wall texture seems low rez n some hard edges also there anything else is superb
like to see the MAKING off hehe

5* from me
Thanks

05 May 2006
Thumbs up

one word - W O W

and 5 * * * * * s

cheers.

05 May 2006
really great piece of art work...
and the open sequence really makes the game shining....
can't wait to play the game

05 May 2006
Dude! this rocks man. awesome piece, details and textures. very cool matt man.

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

05 May 2006
amazing work! it looks great in motion too

05 May 2006
excellent work ! really like this ambience ! great realisation too. Beau boulot !

05 May 2006
wow... I'm alaways amazed from all the great responses and feedback this community gives...

thank you very much to all of you guys..

Bartek|3D: I agree with you that this period offers tons of great opportunities story wise (and 3D wise) the desaturated look puts an even more interesting twist on it. I'll scrounge through my production folder to see if I can get some other WIPs to post... I'll try to have 'em up soon. I wasn't involved with animation at all, I know that there was some mocap but I don't know how much.... sorry !

jonone: This is (to my opinion) one of my greatest challenge in the game universe... Coming from a film and tv Bg I have a tendancy to push my work towards realistic. Balancing it so that it fits with the 3D and keeps a stylised look can be a bit hard at time.

vANON: I totally agree with you !! There are some problem areas... I knew that the FG lower left was a bit uneven in the painting but it's mostly out of shot in the final moving sequence (I always paint a bit larger then I need just in case), the remaining part has a little defocus on it and is on screen only a few frames during the openning transition. At 2h30AM when I finished painting the image I figured that it would be ok This image is mostly painting over an assembly of 3D, digital pic and an over sketch I did to blend everything together. There are some blending and merge issues that where bound to disapear when the image went from 3K+ to 1280 output... Since I was in a rush to get it finished, I went for an overall look...

_david: Yep... bottom left wasn't on screen long (or at all considering wich part is looked at).
I alway paint bigger then I need just in case director change the lens a little... I'm paranoid what can I say ... I should definetly take the habit of croping my mattes before posting them so that there more like the final output. The drop in texture rez is due to the fact that I just gave myself a rough texture to start painting my 3D elements... in that part it wasn't painted over as much.

NunoNisa: everything (3D, sketch, and digital pics) has been painted over... wich helps a lot with blending all the elements... the FG fortress wall, castle and the church started out full 3D with lowrez elements imported straight from the game. The rest is from my initial sketch and pics... thks for the good word... glad you like it !!

sumpm1: it would have been nice to have all of this in 3D... but I would probably still be working on it today the deadline for this thing was a bit short.

max_prashant: I'll try to see what survived the archiving process and I'll try to post some more stuff...

kupo: I'm glad you think so... This is actually the 3rd version of the opening... there was quite a bit of research done to get to this point.

06 June 2006
How did you make the crumbled wall like that in the foreground?

06 June 2006
Oh, what happened to the pic? Did it have to be removed?

Thread Closed share thread