American Beauty, Guadalupe Divina (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
true

Well is true, I studied arts and did oil painting and portraits for several years until I found digital art to express myself, so I totally agree, perhaps that is why I am able to paint this portrait with digital tools.

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Gabriel Herrera: Oh Please.....

America is not only the United States, America is a continent, with many countries (Canada, US, México, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Perú....)

Now back to business. ...

Great image, Guadalupe, I like it

Of course it isn't, but some of the people criticizing Guadalupe were not making that distinction and it was obvious they meant "American" as in the stereotypical blond,blue-eyed prototype of a United States citizen. That bothered me intensely because being of Hispanic descent, I am tired of the tendency of some to make certain groups feel less "American" than others. (and when they say American they mean United States, sorry it's just a reality of how many think)

If you really stop to think about it, we're both in agreement.

Anyway, back to the painting - very nice work! To the artist: take it as a compliment when the only thing people can find wrong is the nostrils. Some of the feedback was overly harsh, imo. Negativity will rot your souls, people. Watch some teletubbies and get laid so you won't be so angry when others manage to achieve a great piece of art like this. haha.

Last edited by mangual : 10 October 2005 at 04:27 AM.

10 October 2005
she is realy beautiful

10 October 2005
New shot with nostrils improved

Here it is a new post of the final work, after so many comments about the nostrils, I thought I could try to improve the image, I ixed the nostrils and now she looks more realistic I think, besides I darker some hair areas to give depth. here is a new shot.

NEW AMERICAN GIRL POST IMPROVED CLICK HERE!

10 October 2005
most of the hair it's made by poser?

10 October 2005
hair is hand painted

The hair was hand painted using PAINTER software.

10 October 2005
Wonderful stuff. Sorry if it's already been said, I didn't read all through the pages, but the only flaw that I can see it that the highlights on the hair distract me a tad. They're dead centred, and on every lock of hair - it confuses the lighting slightly. But everything else - so beautiful. I look forward to seeing more work from you!

10 October 2005
awesome painting!! I like how you did the hair

10 October 2005
Great Job! I guess if I have to critique something...

1- The tendon on her neck on the right side of her body is too bright, and
2- Her left ear is too yellow. It separates her ear away from her face. The skin tone needs to be closer to the tone on her face.

Otherwise, Keep up the good work.

10 October 2005
Really beautiful girl you managed to create there. Good job on it! Kind of remind me of the North American actress for 'Smallville' named Kristin Kruek if I am not wrong, having the same kind of beautiful eyes too. Indeed, that kind of beauty usually seen in women having mixed Asian and European blood, which is quite common in North America, being a country of immigrants from the East and West.

Last edited by Norl : 10 October 2005 at 09:22 PM.

10 October 2005
Let me begin by saying I am not new to this fourm, though this is my frist post, I have been following CG_talk for over a year now as I am becoming a CG artest. I also Love the work; its getting there but, there are things I feel are wrong that I can see.

1. The croped opening image of the "half" face is what caught my eye but I was disapointed when I opened the page. The perspective looks of in a cuple areas but ainlybeing in the right and left half of the face. if you put your hand over one half then the other you'll see it, if I'm right. Something also bothers me about the perspective of the hair... I belive it was already stated but, its in the highs/bases/shadows of the color. The Hair feels as if there was no volume to it... just flat. The eyes bother me a lil bit but that could also be in the halves of the face.

2. The shadows are off in the collar bone/sholder/neck area just remember where the light direction is coming from aswell as your human anatomy.

3. The color on the face is done well on the face but in real life noones face tone is the same as the body tone. Also, I would lower the highlight on her sholder, in addition to I'd give it a larger rolloff.

4. I like the color choices other than the earings, dress, and BG. I feel the earings could help lead your eye back to her face if designed well and keep the focus there in the skilled area of the drawing. The dress seams almost too blue, there are other colors in the blue spectrum (purples mainly). Again, back to lighting the dress seams off as the chest areas do. Finaly the BG. I feel strongly the BG (as I was taught) color is just as important as anything else. I dont know if you are an industry profeshonal/student/ or whatever but, check into color theory (you most likely know already as I can see in your work so far). Lookinto how you want the viewer to feel after they leave this piece.. I'm leaning twards pasty reds and oranges for contrast with low opacty.

Those are my crits on your beautiful work. I is coming along very nicely. My crits all come from feeling's and past teachings, aswell as my human anatomy bible. I hope you take some of this into concideration aswell as keep up posting the comings of your work.

Humbly spoke,
William

10 October 2005
nice job, well done.

10 October 2005
A really nice peice, the only crit I can really give, if it hasnt been said already, is that the edges on the left where her hair and head meet and along the cheeks are really hard and look cut out. Try softening those edges a bit more. Nice skin tones and colors. Keep up the good work.

10 October 2005
that's beautiful

10 October 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread