Historical Western Brothel, Mark Evans (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Historical Western Brothel, Mark Evans (2D)

Title: Historical Western Brothel
Name: Mark Evans
Software: Painter

This was completed around September of 2004.
One of the higher level Men's Magazines was looking for an illustrator to do a double page painting for an article on "Brothels of the Old West" and I GLADLY accepted.
I did a photoshoot with the Asian lady on the left (Kia) and the two babes (Monica & Mechel) on the right. I have NEVER sweated that much in my life. I felt like I was thirteen years old. For the skin tones I was trying to represent the three prominent types of "professionals" working in the trade around this time: asian, caucasian, and latina.
Painter 8 & 9
Default Oil Variants and a few custom brushes.
C&C welcome.

NOTE- The above image has been replaced with a NEW version that has taken into account the sugestions and critiques in this thread.

>> This is the OLD version.<<

Sleep is for the weak.

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Nice work! I like the poses, and the fact that the ladies are looking at the camera whereas the sherrif isnt. The 3 girls skin tones and shades seem to vary a little too much though - like theyre each being lit by different lighting.
This wouldve made an excellent entry for the master & servant challenge.

EDIT - sorry - i just read that they are 3 different ethnicities - doh!
What mens mag was it by the way? Something like maxim or fhm?

Last edited by Andy H : 09 September 2005 at 10:16 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #3
that's really awsome man.... excellent work. details & atmosphere are fantastic.

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Good proportions and such, but the lighting seems very much off to me :shrugs:.

There's a shadow stretching diagonally across the ground from the lady in the left but there's no coincidal lighting on her for such an occurance. Just one of many. I'd stop painting from ref if I were you. Just a thought though, it's good nonetheless.
modelling practice #1

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Thanks for the comments.

jmBoekestein--

I hear and agree with you about the lighting. This was definitely a situation where I fell in love with my reference.

I'll mess around with the illustration when I get a free moment. It's digital after all.

Andy H -
It was for the skin magazine Swank.

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 09 September 2005 at 11:18 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Cool

Nice job and well done~!nice characters~and the mood feels so good,keep it up~and good luck everyday: )

Old 09 September 2005   #7
First of all, excellant painting! Second, I wish I was there to help with the photo shoot...naughty...heehee. Third, this is a minor crit, but the sheriff's hand holding the mug seems too small, out of proportion, and his head also compared to the lady's head beside him. Just wondering?

www.fullerillustration.com
Paint just jumps out at me, even the digital stuff?!
Pirate Gold

Old 09 September 2005   #8
Cool work! Really great atmosphere! Keep it up

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Nice work man! A lot of effort in that!

Old 09 September 2005   #10
Thats really good, I like the background alot

Old 09 September 2005   #11
Looks like it was a fun piece. No real problems worth repeating. Oddly enough Playboy commissions alot of illustration work too. For those people that just read the articles Might want to send something their way since you've already graced the pages of their competition.I know what you mean about sweating at the photo shoot. Amazing looking models who will pose however you like under the hot lights. How did you land your models? Through Funnyface or some other agency? A guy I knew from school used to put an ad in the paper for models and got flooded with comp cards for weeks. He always had plenty of people to choose from when he did his romance cover work.

Old 09 September 2005   #12
I like the mood of the scene and composition, just a few advices or questions, the skin tone among the girl i know is intentional but looks a little strange, the asiatic girl illumination comes from a different source of the other ones in scene?, and the floor looks flat for been wood?. just the ones that i think you could fix to make abetter illustration, but the overall result is good.

Old 09 September 2005   #13
Amazing level of detail and light. Believe me this one worths to some sweat. I really would like to sweat if there will be any results near this one

Old 09 September 2005   #14
good job~~~~I like the colour and scene's painting~~~But I think the women's body proportion have some wrong~~(just think myself)~~~~any way ~~I love this picture~~****4STARSSSS~~~

PS:actually~~~~I always consider the prostitute is very poor~~~~~so much prostitute,They aren't for the sake of money ,insatiable dissipation or dolcevita~~~~~in remote antiquity(china)~~~so much prostitute are virtuous~~~~~They are all belle~~~~They are understand the musical instrument~~painting~~I-go and calligraphy~~~~also They are worry the corrupt country and impecunious demos~~~~~~They are for the sake of country rather immolate anima themselves~~~~~life is very cruel~~So They are do this work~~~~~aaaa~~~~poor women~~~ ~~~~~

Last edited by minminxu : 09 September 2005 at 05:26 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #15
Thanks.

Thank you to the moderators for the front page plug and thank you all for your comments.

Eric UNSL-
My buddy Wallace is a fashion photographer. He has access to some amazing models.

Is-boset-

Lighting:
I'm going to try and fix the lighting problem when I get a chance.

Skin tones:
Yeah... Y'know I'm unsure what to do about that. When I got this job the thing I really wanted to represent was the distinct ethnicities involved. One of the things I feel is most absent in my art and in most genre art is an acknowledgment of the infinite range of skin tones in the human race.

We're all so used to seeing and applying the "Flesh" colored Crayola crayon solution to skin tones that I think anything outside of that standard is a bit jarring.

Sometimes, when I'm walking through the streets of Manhattan I'm amazed at how varied skin tones are in the real world. The range of Golds, browns, greens and blues in any ten people is staggering.

I'm not saying I got that range of skin tones correct on this piece, but I am going to continue to attempt it until I get it right. Maybe the next one...

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 09 September 2005 at 05:53 PM. Reason: clarity

Thread Closed share thread