Portrait Of Erica, Christine Kotlark (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #16
It looks like she was photographed with a flash. As for the lines, it seems a little sharp around the edges. One thing I like though is the pic forces you to focus on the eyes. I guess that's why it is the eye that you see on the FRONT PAGE, WOOT! Good job.

Old 09 September 2005   #17
Originally Posted by Niklas Collin: The automatic sharpening CGTalk adds to all images kills your image, the one behind the link is a lot better.

I very much agree with Nik on this. I had thought the image I see above as being pretty darn good, but the link is more phenomenal. Much softer and the blends are better.

I shrug and shake my head at giving you nit-picky, anal-retentive critique on this. You've done far above exceptional. Understandablly, you wanted a normal pic of your daughter, a model for your witch series. I can totally understand having the photo ref for such a deed. I couldn't see myself doing a pic of my loved one without a ref. The imagination and memory serves well for phantasy, but may distort your perception on how your daughter really looks. But, as Ragdoll had mentioned,
Quote: "how about using that skill and create a character from your imagination and not a photo...it would be great to see what you could come up with"
I, too, would love to see what your imagination portrays.
Great job, Chrissy.

Old 09 September 2005   #18
very nice rendering. I like how you paint her hair especially.
I think it's ok to paint from photo but the problem with this photo is that it looks like a front lighting situation, from flash or whatever, making her face very flat. And you carry over that flatness to your painting.

Old 09 September 2005   #19
Thanks again for the great feedback! Here is the reference photo for those interested ( my daughter would kill me if she knew I posted this lol) http://vizualthoughts.com/Ericaref.JPG
The porous texture was achieved with the course spray brush in Painter, a technique I learned from Jennifer Rodriguez (Baybeestar)

Last edited by ChrissyKotlark : 09 September 2005 at 07:14 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #20
That is excellnet.
I think the detail opn the pores has to be softened just a bit. I think there is too much contrast.
Over all tho it is so good, amazing lighting.

Whad up. Keep it up.

Old 09 September 2005   #21
wow

nice style, nice work.

the colors and details are amazing!

Old 09 September 2005   #22
Thumbs up

that nice

Old 09 September 2005   #23
Very very nice

Old 09 September 2005   #24
Thumbs up

Hey Christine Awesome work! You've achieved wonderful texture and such a great 3d feel Her skin tones and your choice of colors for the background and hair show what you can do with such a simple ref photo Very Purr-T-full, love it!
Hugs,
Jenn

Old 09 September 2005   #25
Good work

Regards

Old 09 September 2005   #26
wow you have done a great job with this and from what I can see the painting has virtually been created from scratch because the reference image is a huge step away from the finished work!

Old 09 September 2005   #27
Nice image! The lighting look a little too flat (maybe it's too from the front) , but other than that it's very well done.

Keep the great work!

Old 09 September 2005   #28
Talking

Wow!!! You are an incredble artist. Looking at your web page really shows your skills evolving with each picture.

Your skin texture is amazing!!!

Old 09 September 2005   #29
This is beautiful! Just wanted to say that before I added two small crits because overalll its really great. I think the contrast of the pores is too high, it looks great but is too pronounced. And if you added a few more highlights to the eyes they would look less flat, considering the high contrast of the flash-like lighting in the rest of the pic. If those two changes it would be perfect!!

Old 09 September 2005   #30
lighting is not so good but the painting, the colors, the realization and your daughter are all beautiful

Thread Closed share thread