In Honor Of The King, Ryan Frederickson (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005
In Honor Of The King, Ryan Frederickson (2D)

Title: In Honor Of The King
Name: Ryan Frederickson
Software: Painter, Photoshop

I suppose now is as good a time as any to post this in the finished art section here. I did this piece for the Master & Servant contest. It was the first time I've participated in a CGChallenge, and definitely won't be the last. It's a valuable experience, I think.

At first the concept was pretty straight-forward. The jester has killed the king and sits on the throne. But after more thought on the subject I decided that wasn't enough. I wanted to make the master/servant relationship deeper than simple betrayal. So I thought...what if the jester was a master as well? And I made him the instigator of this happy coup.

....Or is it happy? I wanted to make the characters seem somewhat ambiguous, as far as the nature of their intentions is concerned. Are they simply murderous underlings of a benevolent king? Or are they the opposite? Saviours of an enslaved kingdom? Good king? Evil king? I suppose it depends on the day, but I really prefer to leave the interpretation up to you.

Please comment! Good or bad, I like to hear what people think. And don't forget to look at the close-up links below!!!

RF

Close-Ups:

dagger pommel

king's hand

king's head

minstrel

>> Hi resolution image <<

05 May 2005
Really a great pic with a amazing painting, five stars for me

05 May 2005
That's a very good image man! congratulation!

05 May 2005
You get my hand with every finger on it

peace, pete

05 May 2005
love it, great idea well executed. The onlt thing is i can t decide whether there is some funky perspective on the throne or not, i cant tell, looks a bit wrong. other than that, fantastic!

05 May 2005
Talking

The color is gorgeous, the composition is beautiful```

05 May 2005
Excellent, intriguing concept. I really like that we can't be too sure of why they did the deed nor what they're feeling about it: but there are hints, things we can interpret for ourselves.

On my part, I'm inclined to feel with the jester on this: it just seems like under all that makeup, he has sad eyes somehow as if what he did, he did because he had to - perhaps because he'd been pushed one time too many and just couldn't live with himself if he didn't take care of his oppressor.... while the smile on the queen's face is just... triumphant, and I'm thinking intentions weren't quite so easily forgivable.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is - you did a wonderful job of making this a piece that we can all interpret the way we want to. Thank you, and good luck :]

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

05 May 2005
I don't know how I missed this in the Master and Servant forum. This is brilliant, another favourite of mine to win. Amazing lighting, I love how the painting tells the story. Gosh stunning work *stares*

My best wishes I'm sure you'll do well

05 May 2005
Awesome skills !!

The Dwarf deffently did not need a beer mug. The jester and his make up is nicely detailed, it looks like real make up. The lighting is nicely done also. I did expect some of the characters to look a bit more cheerfull. Killing the King is always a joyous occation.

Good luck on your entry

05 May 2005
Very, very impressive .....if your not a lead artist at Disney...you should be.

05 May 2005
Excelent work
I love the color in this
I cant find anything I dont like about this image
bravo

05 May 2005
Thumbs up

congrats again!
i especially like the way the colors in center of interest are the brightest..
the characters and the rendering of the material is really great!

good luck!

05 May 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread