Heavy, Patrick Jensen (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #16
I think the facial expression is great. It shows just a bit of a stuggle coming though her. She is a field worker after all, and has probably done this more than once. She wouldnt look in pain as much since by now she is used to carrying the heavy load.

Old 03 March 2005   #17
we don't see it

Nicely Drawn indeed...but i have to say that from what me and alot of other guys at the studio here, animators, modelers, concept artists and texture artists...none of them feel that the person in the portrait is carrying anything heavy....mainly because the expression on the face doesn't indicate so....
but also because all you see is a thin stick...even tho alot of people can imagine 2 big buckets of whatever one on each side....this still does not give it the right feeling...

Old 03 March 2005   #18
I think the face needs more expression and the right hand is strange
I like the color and texture. Nice work ****

Old 03 March 2005   #19
Thank you for the great comments everyone. It's interesting - by describing the guidelines and goals for a piece, it shows if others agree with or see the same thing the artist intended. Since the goal of this one was to convey something, rather than merely making an interesting image, I'm glad you all commented on what you did.

Entranced-Bills > Thank you. I made a decision to try and put the struggle into the composition and in the eyes especially. A good sneer or something might of had a bit more punch, but I had to try something more subtle and see if it worked.
sphere > In the sketch, there was rain dripping from the hat. I'll definitely have to get that back in there, thanks!
Euphony > Thanks. I'll see what it looks like with more expression.
ange_varma > Looking at it again now too, I see how the back of the hat looses its curvature. Will have to give that a fix. Thank you.
Vormav > You are right! Don't know where it ran off to, heh. But you're right, a portion of the other nostril should be visible. oops
cgkrusty > Great comments. In some reference pics I found, the majority had the bow that humped behind the neck, which I tried to indicate as the wood got closer to her head. Not reading enough I see, so thanks for pointing that out. The hands, I had a comment from my instructor to rough them up more considering she's a field worker. They seem overdone to me too now. Thanks again.
cipher > Got it. Thank you!
coldfront, Angrogs, loocas, Rasdasa > Glad you like! Thank you!
Joe > Good suggestion. Thanks man!
weirdworm > Thanks! It's finally going well.
Bartosz > Thank you. Your explination is exactly what I was thinking while painting her expression.
Izu > Thanks for letting me know what you guys think. I originally had a larger canvas, with the ropes to the buckets visible, but opted to crop in and try to get a more personal character piece out of it. I think it might have sacrificed the weight quite a bit like you said. Learning a lot here...Thanks!
Yen3D > Sounds good. Thank you.

Thanks again everyone.

- Patrick

Old 03 March 2005   #20
Genuine indeed!

Love the expression!

Old 03 March 2005   #21
I'm not usually a big fan of stylized art, but this piece is awsome, it hits the "heavy" feeling spot on. I kind of reminds me of a novel called "Dragon Wings", which is about the hard labor the chinese endured during the construction of the Railroad in the U.S.

Great Work,

Arkon

Old 03 March 2005   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread