Characters: Cat And Mouse, Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2005   #46
Steven you are a true living legend!!

Old 02 February 2005   #47
I love the 20s gangster/private eye aesthetic. Combining it with anthropomorphic animal characters is a stroke of genius. Your work is very stunning and amazingly creative. I hope you have a friggin huge ego because you, sir, deserve it!

Old 02 February 2005   #48
Stahlberg.. you just get better and better and better and better and batter...

Old 02 February 2005   #49
Many thanks guys.
I'd seen that Blacksad comic around, once or twice before, and I think the artist is amazingly talented, but for this one I was more influenced by the Manga/Anime type girls with animal parts. If I'd made a male cat like some suggest, it would have been even more derivative of Blacksad, and well, I just prefer girls anyway (as is probably painfully obvious by now).
Maybe too tacky, but this kind of subject just doesn't have the emotional depth anyway so what the heck. I suppose another problem is, the cat doesn't look feminine enough, it should be obvious without explanation. Guess the coat hides too much.
About the leg, actually it's both the mouse's legs and hips and tail that are 3d but you can't see the second leg very well. I initially started doing both figures in 3d, but I realized I'd have to spend too much time on the trenchcoat and faces to make it as good as the painting... oh, the hat is 3d too.
You're right, the glowing eye is too high, I'll adjust it today.

Old 02 February 2005   #50
oh man , I have not any for say . Cooooool !!
5 stars from me .

Old 02 February 2005   #51
Thumbs up

Your work is so inspirational and this piece is just about as perfect as everything else you've done. Congradulations, I love it!

Old 02 February 2005   #52
Very good, I likes it very much.

Old 02 February 2005   #53
Great as usual :)

Yeah!
I'm your fan for years now... wow, I'm getting older *lol*

Great work as you always do, this noir feeling is something I really like.
Does the cat have sharp teeth too? (curious)

Take care and keep going!

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

Old 02 February 2005   #54
wow... great work Steven!
Always good to see more work coming from you.
bravo!

Old 02 February 2005   #55
hmm

Originally Posted by Stahlberg: for this one I was more influenced by the Manga/Anime type girls with animal parts

yuck.

why would anyone find that to be attractive?

Last edited by mangual : 02 February 2005 at 06:19 AM.

Old 02 February 2005   #56
WoW Stahlberg!
Another masterpiece from you.
You really are a living legend.

Old 02 February 2005   #57
Amazing work

Old 02 February 2005   #58
Stahlberg you have done it again question is where did you fine such beautiful characters the ideas you portray are magnificant... I LOVE IT I am one of your biggest fans, i've done a report about you in college i remember sending you an e-mail about that also... Fantastic work Mr. Stahlberg i can't wait until one day i would be able to do fantastic work just like you i'm so glad that you have taken the time to read my e-mails and see some of the work that i've also composed in Maya and 3D max THANK YOU SIR

e-mail me and i'll email you my work
dgayle@pratt.edu
or
anime3dfrk@yahoo.com

do no pick up a pencil unless you have something to say

Old 02 February 2005   #59
Quote: Hey preacher, I agree with you. I really didn't find this image very appealing and it's probably only getting so much praise because of who made it. If some unknown artist had made the exact same image I think we'd see a lot less blind worshipping and more people pointing out what no one wants to say here which is that this image is a little bit subpar and nothing all that special.

Nah, people are probably posting here because they really like the image. Who knows, maybe a lot of people hate it too but they have more tact than you and Preacher.

I like it because it's well executed, playful, and a bit different than the usual frontpage stuff.

Old 02 February 2005   #60
i also agree with some people here. the coloring is monochrome, yet the eye is teal. it bugs me a lot. you dont have to make it colored for it to stand out.

Thread Closed share thread