Ocean Pearl, Gary Yeung (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Ocean Pearl, Gary Yeung (2D)

Title: Ocean Pearl
Name: Gary Yeung
Software: Painter, Photoshop

This image was made for a card game. The girl's name is "Ocean pearl", a pirate, and she's in combat with some dragon knight guy. Because the work as been formally submitted for awhile now, I'm posting this up with some of my process to see if some other people are interested in picking apart my method of piece construction. I don't even use textures, but I have about 10 custom brushes used to create the piece. Overall, my style is still fairly "anime" oriented, so please excuse that if your biased against anime. LOL

12 December 2004
Excellent work! Your anatomy is quite good, and I think you've done a great job with the textures of the clothing/armor/forest. I would like to see a little more saturation in the colors, especially if this was to be printed later on. I might have also chosen a deeper perspective that would have brought the male character closer to the viewer. A subtle change in angle like that could give the piece a bit more movement, drawing the viewer from the left edge down towards the female character . Overall this is a great piece. Keep up the awesome work!

12 December 2004
Your painting is great,I love the energy coming out of your piece,I like the pose of the two character even tho i think that the calf of the girl is a way too big in respect of the rest of the body.I think you deserve four stars.

12 December 2004
Very well done scene, there is a minor disconnect in positioning but it is so difficult to get it right if you're not working from reference when making something so complicated. What I'm referring to is that the background is tilted at a certain angle and they seem to be on another plane.

Great job though, 4 stars from me.

12 December 2004
Red face The forest

I love the forest. You did on it really amazing work.
I like the colors of the picture. The anytomy looks allright to me, but I am not sure about the pose of the woman. why? Well... It is too risky to block opponents sword this way, it is too close to her hands. And also, she couldn't block it this way, because she is obviously not so strong to block this way. Well I tried to use this pose in combat with wooden sword (Katana) and it is really impossible to resist :-/
It is not really easy to explain how should you and how shouldn't you block without pictures.:-) Otherwise, I am giving you five stars ;-)

12 December 2004
following

I've just remebered- The kinght holds the sword really badly. She is allright. When you holds a sword, the right arm must be closer to the blade.

Last edited by Mirwen : 12 December 2004 at 06:34 PM.

12 December 2004
I dig the forest background too! Amazing rendering.

Do you have more in progress shots of the work for reference. I'd certainly be interested to see them if you have more. The ones you already posted are quite helpful.

Thanks!

01 January 2005
great composition, great background...simply amazing

01 January 2005
Red face hi

Your character and overall work is really good but the saturation of colors stops it from selling the image if you know what I mean.

see here my warhammer 40.000 animation short

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread