Portrait Of A Girl, Dongmei (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
beautiful... the painting and the girl. I love her skin tone. It's so vibrant and warm. I'd like to see a little more blending and detail to the hair. Great work though.

-The Shins

12 December 2004
One day! nice.

12 December 2004
Thumbs up Nice

I don't think that it is her eye, but her pupil.

BUT, WOW!! nice work for one day, you should be proud.

12 December 2004
Her eyes might not be in perfect line with each other simply due to the fact that faces are not symmetrical. My own right ear is noticably higher than my right. Then again, the camera lens may have flattened the perspecitve as well.

My biggest critique with the picture is this...your background canvas texture is painted with the fibers running at a diagonal. Aren't most canvasses stretched with the fibers running straight across? That detracts from your efforts to make the painting look like a oil portrait, at least to me.

Overall, fantastic work. I think you painted her face with feeling and emotion and that's probably more important than any technical issue.

R.

12 December 2004
This was a very good portrait. Great work!

12 December 2004
Beautiful work.
on the perspective?
heh who cares it's well executed. it could be fixed a bit but the feeling is still there.
And Don't forget cameras distort things a lot. the lense is curved.
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

12 December 2004
你們吵什麼啊... 管大家是中國人或那裡人,至好講話有點風度嘛... 又不是小孩子
我覺得畫的很好啊,可是覺得左眼有點斜。不過我不是專家,所以也不清楚...
就算畫的不好,難道就不是人了啊...
anyways, 大家加油吧

12 December 2004
nice work!

although the eyes look a bit wierd. It may be the way her eyes are in real life or a distortion of the camera, but maybe you should have taken some artistic license and fixed it, even if would have been "wrong" or not "true to reality".

another thing is that the edges of the brush strokes seem really smooth, this detracts from the feeling of the oil painting and makes it seem CG. This isn't your fault of course, but more of a limitation of painter.

Have you tried a free natural media program called Artrage? It has really cool oil painting capabilities, you can even mix the colors after they are on the canvas. Also the "paint" will linger in the brush until you "wash" the brush with water. It also has nicer, more realistic edges so maybe you should check it out.

12 December 2004
Thumbs up

wow, so many replies,thank you guys
your precious feedback and crits are really appreciated,
espeically on the pespective issue.
Thanks Kory Heinzen
You just said exactly what i want to say, the camera really distorted things alot,
but after all , like u said,no matter how wrong the pespective is,
the feeling is still there, thats the ultimate goal we want to achieve in a painting.
if we seriously scrutinize all the masterpieces done by those great
masters like Ingres,Michael angelo or Rembrant,Rubens etc, we can find tons of problems in terms of the perspective and the anatomy . but who cares, those wont affect their masterpiece quality.
my point here is that after all we are making art piece here, very emotional and subjective thingy, not rocket science.
thanks again!

Last edited by DongMei : 12 December 2004 at 10:35 PM.

12 December 2004
Hi,
Well, really stunning portrait you did ! In one day !!!
If I'm not wrong, you are chinese, aren't you ? I've heard that drawing skills of chinese student are really high, well I can see it through your work !
However, I am less convinced by hairs : the hair locks are painted too sharply for me.
But the mouth is totally awesome !

12 December 2004
zhalimuto, very nice work you have there. I love the warmth of it.

I'd be very interested to know which brushed you used to get such an oil painting feel to the piece, because in my experience Painter's oil brushes, while good, don't quite replicate oils to the level you have achieved there.

Thanks,
~Shane

12 December 2004
nice work, keep it up!

12 December 2004
very nice indeed

as for her eyes, check out pictures of shannon doherty, perfect example of eyes not lining up. she's a freak.

http://www.trueamericandog.com

12 December 2004
yea, that picture is pretty freaky =)

12 December 2004
Do you think that only chinese people can understand Mandarin? May be yes, may be No. So chinese people, please do not argument here again! Everybody shut up.
By the way, zhalimuto's job is realy nice~~~

Thread Closed share thread