Attack Of The Fishpipes, Domen Lombergar (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Robert Ashley: wow I just read through the entire thread and its funny that you guys compair this work to Dave Mckean. I can tell you that there are billions of photoshop collage artists out before Dave Mckean. Its rediculous to think that a photoshop collage work looks like a single comic book artist because that all you know of this genre. Dave Mckean is just a product of the entire genre that has been out since digital photo manipulation programs have existed. He is not all mighty inventor of this style of work. Look further than the comic books and see an entire world of art! (sorry to sound so harsh, but enough with bashing this guy saying he is like a single artist because his work fits in an entire genre)


Well... I don't think people (myself included) were quoting the Mckean influence out of ignorance or suggesting that Mckean was the inventor of this style of artwork.

I think that since cgtalk.com is an MB with artists from many different backgrounds and countries, when you make an an artistic analogy you have to pick someone who is popular and whose work is easily referenced. Mckean fits the bill in this instance.

Sure, one could pick an artist more obscure but then no one would know what you're talking about and what is the point of that?
__________________

Sleep is for the weak.
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by cloudmover.net: Sure, one could pick an artist more obscure but then no one would know what you're talking about and what is the point of that?

Because there are famous people in the genre. Just because you dont know them other than someone that does comic books, doesnt mean that they arent huge in the fine art community.

When you quote one artist based on a huge genre is like saying...."hey your work looks ljust like Stalbergs" just because the person made a 3d artwork.

Give up the Dave Mckean, he is not innovative. Maybe for a DC comic, but not in the art world...because he is a carbon copy of millions of those "obscure" artists that have no point in talking about.

My point is this guys work is not like Dave Mckean, its like a photoshop collage.
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Robert Ashley: My point is this guys work is not like Dave Mckean, its like a photoshop collage.

Humm... I agree with you that McKean is not the only photo-collage artist, and not the creator of it. But by saying McKean is "just" innovative in the comic books, well it's your point of view, I don't share it... I actually discovered McKean with his photo books, and find his photo-collages being more interesting when he is not doing comic books, but that's beyond the point.
Of course McKean didn't invent photo collage... I mean photo collage exists since the photography itself, and especially with the beginning of surrealism and dadaism (Man Ray for instance ?). And as far as McKean goes, I always thought his work was very influenced (although not copied) by Joel Peter Witkin.

So NO, I'm not making a God out of McKean.

But if I quoted him, is because I don't think lombi's work is "like a photoshop collage" as you say, but in that specific case his work "is like Dave McKean's". And that's why I find it not so interesting.

Just for the record, and because I don't want to seem like a cold hearted critic (or whatever). I've been to Lombi's homepage. And although a lot of his work is in the same kind of influence, I found a lot of pictures more interesting. As the matter of fact, the picture for which he got the CG Award, I think, is really more original. Sure you could come up with a lot of references to it, but it strikes me as more personal, and more reflective of lombi's persona than this one.
And to set the records straight (again), I really do not dislike the "Attack of the Fishpipes". I mean, I really am glad that this kind of work made it to front page as it is different, and pretty well done. I just don't find it as original as it could have been, as other photo-collages are, and as other of lombi's work is.
Hope everything is clear (and I'm not on your deathwishlist)
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Robert Ashley: Because there are famous people in the genre. Just because you dont know them other than someone that does comic books, doesnt mean that they arent huge in the fine art community.

When you quote one artist based on a huge genre is like saying...."hey your work looks ljust like Stalbergs" just because the person made a 3d artwork.

Give up the Dave Mckean, he is not innovative. Maybe for a DC comic, but not in the art world...because he is a carbon copy of millions of those "obscure" artists that have no point in talking about.

My point is this guys work is not like Dave Mckean, its like a photoshop collage.


LOL
Robert, believe me I know of many Photoshop artists and artists in general other than Dave Mckean. Don't mistake the SPECIFIC CHOICE of a particular name for ignorance of the greater world of art.

I'm not disputing that there are other artists and fine artists who employ this technique. I'm also sure that these fine artists are probably well known in their community.

I am saying that we're speaking to a collective group who probably collected comics, buys CDs and knows who Batman and Sandman are. With this shared experience it would be FOOLISH not to use an artist (a good artist) who does similar work as an analogy that, chances are, the collective group already knows.

The analogy is only used so we all have a common frame of reference. With that we can compare what the known artist does well and what the posting artist might need to change in order to reach that level of expertise.

Which, if you read my earlier post on this thread, is what I did.
__________________

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 12 December 2004 at 04:56 AM.
 
  12 December 2004
i think it's awesome dude. Nice work.
__________________
+Retro
 
  12 December 2004
cool image and all.... but why are we bashing the naked women? I have always had an interest in the naked women.... naked women with snakes is even better ... how can you get tired of well crafted pieces, even if they are of something familiar? I mean the masters have painted pictures of women since forever, and i am pretty sure that it is considered art... give the erotic snake charming women a chance
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by cloudmover.net: LOL
Robert, believe me I know of many Photoshop artists and artists in general other than Dave Mckean. Don't mistake the SPECIFIC CHOICE of a particular name for ignorance of the greater world of art.
Im not mistaking anything. I just seen Dave Mckean name posted a few times and found it rediculous that you (collective as in you and the 5 others) can say this guys work is a copy of that when there are thousands of artists that do this genre.

It is not Dave Mckean's work but a genre, yet you guys still cant accpet that and just get defensive. Dont get upset that I called you guys on it and said "hey guys this is a genre, Dave Mckean didnt invent it"

Anyway to prevent a flame war cause I can see how defensive this is becoming with the "HAHAH Rob I know art, you cant tell me blah blah blah" I will end it with what I said from the begining:

Dave Mckean didnt invent photoshop collage art. This guys work is not a copy of Dave Mckean. Have a nice day!
 
  12 December 2004
Personally, I think this piece is awsome!
Its very original, psychedelic and open-minded work of art.
Keep it up man!

-Peace
__________________
http://xanthangum.nm.ru
 
  12 December 2004
This is on the frontpage?
 
  12 December 2004
it has been discussed in other threads as to why certain other pieces that differ from the "usual" frontpage material didnt get frontpage. Moderators and alike argued that it didnt fit the style of cgtalk and a number of other issues were brought up.
Personally I have a clear feeling that cgtalk is much about game styles and movie styles more than anything else. I am sure there are lots of fineart boards out there that show lots of collage work etc and more artsy pieces. Personally I would be unhappy if cgtalk loses its identity by going to political correct artsy way.
I personally dont like collages. I have seen millions and too me they are the poetry of visual art with too much emphasis on the personal statement. Often clouded in so much "wierd" that its hard to even argument wether its good or bad.
If you want to enjoy this kind of work deviant art is full of it.
Personally I like cgtalk because it does have a clear focus and identity. i would soon stop looking at cgtalk if it became another deviant art.

I think the reason you call this piece original is because it is a totally different type of work. Its semi abstract and as such it will always be "original".

"Oh dear gods of cgtalk please dont stray from the path of the naked elf and the green orc and let people find originality and creativity from the grounds that we stand today."

I dont think its only possible to archieve creativity by showing artforms that are totally different from the usual cgtalk work. I just think it will take time. But eventually even game art etc. will mature and flurish with originality and creativity.
At least I hope so.
__________________
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by -KDX-: come on now...don't be haters...

I like it, it's different. A nice change of pace from the normal front page stuff we see day after day. I mean really, there's only so much photoreal and/or uber-high poly stuff we can all stand before we need a little kick in the brain to wake us up.

Good stuff, very weird and creative.
-KDX-

it's a message board, not a press release. if it's a message board people should be allowed to voice CRITICISMS or disagreements not just 'that rocks Insert generic smiley'

And for the record I would agree this is just average work. the rendering and blending of the layers is fine for the pic but doesn't really have anything going for it other than strangeness. nothing else stands out.
 
  12 December 2004
omg

that some scary litle picture there .. very unique and cool ... great work...
 
  12 December 2004
Your piece of artwork rocks!

Any special msgs behind it?
__________________
3D - Brings fantasy into reality.
 
  12 December 2004
He written that something is done in 3dsmax so i am corious to see what..can we see any wireframe?
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Robert Ashley: Dave Mckean didnt invent photoshop collage art. This guys work is not a copy of Dave Mckean. Have a nice day!

Ok I'm not willing to make an endless argument, as it is not the point, and it gets boring.

But let's take surrealism painting for instance. Dali didn't event it. And if you look at Dali's work, Magritte's work, and Tanguy's work for instance... they're all in the same "genre" if you like, but all very different.
Saying somebody copied Tanguy's style is not implying Tanguy invented surrealism painting, and is not implying all surrealist paintings look like Tanguy. Just the specific one we're talking about.

This is not a contest to show everyone's knowledge of art. I think a lot of people in this forum know a lot of different photoshop collage artists, or have seen a lot of photoshop collage images (as it is CG). Nobody's implying McKean is the creator of it. But in this particular case, it is not a photoshop collage ressembling another artist's work, but McKean's. That doesn't make McKean anything he isn't.

Now you're totally entitled to disagree and to not see the connection between the 2 artists' works. But just be aware that we didn't use this name as the only reference we have, but as a particular choice of both choosing a name people will fastly recognize, and choosing a name that DOES, in our opinion, have a lot to do with this image, and not only because of the technique used, or genre it is in.

No hard feelings at all, as I said I do pretty much enjoy this picture.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.