Attack Of The Fishpipes, Domen Lombergar (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by dotTom: Wires please.
That is the most cynical thing I've ever heard on a 2d gallery thread. Move on, not everything is about the technique. Are we technicians or are we artists!

This image shows creativity, but we don't celebrate that. All we care about is technique.

Like this thread proves http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189993 Showing a terribly uncreative work which made the front page, admired for its technique. When I first saw this image, the first thing that came to my mind is the whole "finger in throat" thing.

Art in the computer world is truly dead. Long live the cheese colored women who stare at the camera expressing "am I sexy enough for you? ...no?... okay how 'bout this, am I sexy now?" Wow, what a repertoire.

Last edited by Tan : 12 December 2004 at 10:04 PM.
 
  12 December 2004
I really like this and I don't care how it was done, I appreciate what it is...and there is no need to show wires for 2d work.

Congradulations on a well done piece.
__________________
.
~MvN
~My opinions do not represent those of my employer~


 
  12 December 2004
I like this piece and the attached poem because its more thought provoking than your average piece on cgtalk. And I'm loving the descussion its created over the hole front page thing.

Originally Posted by Tan: If Dave Mckeam posted the exact same image himself and said "Hey guys look at my new image, made in photoshop and max", everyone would've replied with a "Wow, cool, keep up the good work, amazing as usual, I'm you're biggest fan, no critz"

I swear that would happen

And when someone posts a horrible painting of a naked chick, you all support him, affraid to hurt his feelings.

Very true. Although i'm not sure who Dave Mckeam is.

Originally Posted by thOrNes: *snip...* and second - there are a lot of frustrated non-frontpagers here I think, and this thread's purpose would still be to comment or criticize this piece of work.

I second that.
__________________
My Vimeo Page
 
  12 December 2004
Cool

I think it's pretty cool.

Weird, but cool.
 
  12 December 2004
Dave Mckean

Originally Posted by plastic: hey Tan...i have no idea who Dave McKeam is, but i agree with your point.


Dave Mckean is one of the visionary creators behind the covers of DC Comics Vertigo line. He did the covers (about three hundred in total) for Sandman, HellBlazer, MiracleMan and Black Orchid as well as illustrating many award winning graphic novels, CDs and books. He also illustrated the Batman graphic novel Arkham Asylum.

He pushes boundaries. Though I agree with TAN's point, I'm not sure if it would fly in this forum. It seems to me that most art posted here falls into some general catagories - babe, robot, sci-fi war, high fantasy (elf, dwarf etc.). I have been enjoying the EXCELLENT recent matte painting threads but some of these pictures, though FANTASTIC and WELL done, I've seen a million times before.

The word generic comes to mind.

It's very HARD to do something truly original. I strugle with it all the time. That said, this is pretty unique. I haven't seen it before and it reminds me of one of the best modern illustrators alive today Dave McKean.

That's REAL good in my book.

Crit-
I'm sorry but I'm going to compare this to Mckeans work. One of the great things he does is give the viewer a center of interest. As this illustration is now I'm looking all over the place - the values are too close. Perhaps you could darken the background or better yet, like Mckean does, introduce a monochromatic tone to the center of interest (face?) OR the background. Either way you would separate the different planes and make the image POP.

Great pix!!
__________________

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 12 December 2004 at 08:40 PM.
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Tan: Like this thread proves http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189993 Showing a terribly uncreative work, admired for its technique. When I first saw this image, the first thing that came to my mind is the whole "finger in throat" thing.
i dont want to pick on that guys image because i believe that anyone should be doing what he/she likes to.
but it is representative for many posted images here...
it's fascinating that digital brought back the cheese and to a much larger degree than ever (i think).
i'm not good with names but i recall stahlberg with his perfectly recreated digital female pinup models, and all the cliché fantasy art in the exposé book.
maybe digital art needs to evolve like traditional art and maybe once the technical aspects (wireframes, skin shader) are mastered by everyone and not longer interesting by themself, maybe things will get better then.

Last edited by plastic : 12 December 2004 at 08:44 PM.
 
  12 December 2004
Woah, something got posted to the front page that wasnt a beautiful woman, a room, or a sports car. CONGRATS!

its a little weird, but i like weird. i would like to see more on how it was made
__________________
Rob Wilson
Hybrid Medical Animation CGer
 
  12 December 2004
Interesting piece of art, it's kind of weird, and good, I can't stop looking at this, so many strange things to look at.
__________________
..
 
  12 December 2004
I think 2 many fishes

 
  12 December 2004
I agree about all the "wires questions" being stupid... But it doesn't mean I agree with the opposite posts stating "finally something refreshing/arty/original on frontpage".

I'm sorry to be nagative, and to quote once again the genius Dave Mckean, but this image has no interest for me because 1- it looks exactly like a McKean picture (nothing new/different) and 2- the composition/compositing is far from being as well done as McKean's work. You can really feel the photoshop masks behind this work.

Now I'm not saying that this technical part is so important, it wouldn't be if the piece was very original, which I don't think it is. I have seen a lot of work influenced by McKean's compositing/dark/photos that weren't that well rendered but which were refreshing and new.

I'm not arguing about the fact that this piece is on the frontpage, although I am not fond of this picture, I do appreciate the fact that it is indeed different of what we usually see on frontpage. However, I'm dissapointed in all the "how original" posts. Just because you know a lot about hot chicks, robots, and sci-fi doesn't mean that anything else you see here is original, try and look for different forms of art in some other places than only CGTalk.

I know I may sound a little pretentious, and I don't mean to diss on CGTalk which I think is really a great place. Just writing what comes to my mind after seeing this image and all the reactions.
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Rio Yeti: II'm dissapointed in all the "how original" posts. Just because you know a lot about hot chicks, robots, and sci-fi doesn't mean that anything else you see here is original, try and look for different forms of art in some other places than only CGTalk.

I know I may sound a little pretentious, and I don't mean to diss on CGTalk which I think is really a great place. Just writing what comes to my mind after seeing this image and all the reactions.
I'm afraid you do sound just a bit pretentious although I do take your point. "Presumptuous" might be a better word as you seem to make the assumption that most cg-talkers have no real knowledge of any art forms other than cg-ninja elf babes, not necessarily the case.

I do see what you're driving at, though I still think that regardless of its "originality" or not, it's a nice change to see something a bit different from the usual content on the front page.

( not having a go honestly, it's late and I'm tired, if this reads as a flame it's not supposed to..)
 
  12 December 2004
great looking illustration!
 
  12 December 2004
This is the thing about this being front page, if this is so..based on whatever else might be considered for frontpage, then hundreds of other users have been robbed blind from FP Glory. I mean, yeah, its a cool image..but...I have seen way better in both 2D and 3D forums that never get plugged. But, I really don't think his image is anything to celebrate IMO.
__________________
You do not deserve to know who I am.
Peace out, Bitches!
 
  12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Erikoinen: Can't see the idea or the reasons why this was plugged to frontpage..

yea this mostly looks like edited photos...so im not sure why its frontpage either
__________________
------------------------------------------------
SMUG: A WIP
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.