Eastern Riders, Kelsey Winterkorn (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Eastern Riders, Kelsey Winterkorn (2D)

Title: Eastern Riders
Name: Kelsey Winterkorn
Software: Photoshop

9 hours in Photoshop. I am new to digital art, and this is my second piece entirely in PS.

I tried for an ancient/historical painting look, very stylized and iconic? I tried to go for medieval Turkish/Ottoman armour, garb, and things. I tried to make the king/sultan in front have a 'holy' glow, as well as stand out more than his entourage.

All comments are welcome!

For a higher resolution click on the thumbnail:

10 October 2004
Man, at first i want to say, that you are wrong: the style in drawing, the shapes , the armour, red raincoat and so on - everything you have taken from russian miniatures on eat plates or on souvenirs. Did you ever seen turkish works? Suppose not, because they style is absolutly diffrent.
"Where are you from?" - "I'm from Argentina!" - "Oh! Argentina - beautiful country! I love kangaroo!!!" This work and your description reminds me this anecdote

10 October 2004
It's a lovely painting shows good skill-.brilliant colors remind me of a the stained glass in Englands cathedrals.
As for the type of armour, dress etc..
shserge: here's a link on dress that is a very long read and has a lot of historical facts if you dare to read all the side bar links.
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles09/clothes-17.shtml

...and if you distill the information what you see is what missing in the descriptions is that fact all during the pre-mid-latter middle ages there where a lot of wars going on everywhere!..and during wars what happens is that people loot...look what i brought home from the war honey!
wars's caused muticultural cross pollination of math,science, medicine and
dress/armour among other things. What is portayed as 12th century russian armour can often be seen in 13th celtic dress. There are infinite varieties of this,
in styles of art as well....which also traveled by assimilation method.

...and he did say he "tried" to go for that effect.

Last edited by CLONEOPS : 10 October 2004 at 08:21 AM.

10 October 2004
Really well done illustration, it seems a russian staied glass window. Wonderful lighting colors.

10 October 2004
Hey, if you use russian folk paintings references and call it turkish - well, it's funny to see and read to russian, like me. Personally i have seen persian, iran and turkish miniatures. And i can say, that they have diffrent drawing style in shapes (i repeat, absolutly another style of drawing of shapes ) and of couse diffrent cloth too (turban, cloth), armour(curved sabre) and so on. You may find images of persian art and just look for self-education. I just want to notice - if you use something, use it as is.

Originally Posted by CLONEOPS: It's a lovely painting shows good skill-.brilliant colors remind me of a the stained glass in Englands cathedrals.
As for the type of armour, dress etc..
shserge: here's a link on dress that is a very long read and has a lot of historical facts if you dare to read all the side bar links.
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles09/clothes-17.shtml

...and if you distill the information what you see is what missing in the descriptions is that fact all during the pre-mid-latter middle ages there where a lot of wars going on everywhere!..and during wars what happens is that people loot...look what i brought home from the war honey!
wars's caused muticultural cross pollination of math,science, medicine and
dress/armour among other things. What is portayed as 12th century russian armour can often be seen in 13th celtic dress. There are infinite varieties of this,
in styles of art as well....which also traveled by assimilation method.

...and he did say he "tried" to go for that effect.

10 October 2004
Very stunning painting, love the stained-glass look you've given it.

10 October 2004
Sorry about that, it does look more russian (or at least slavic) than turkish. I thought Byzantine armour looked a lot like that? With the onion dome helmets, scale armour, and such? This is why I simply titled it "Eastern Riders".

It also does look like stained glass, I was really enjoying putting bright color into it.

Thanks for your comments!

10 October 2004
I also forgot to mention this was done using a mouse, I have yet to get a wacom. I guess that is why it took so long.

10 October 2004
Run, dont walk, to get a tablet! I love all the bright colors. Great stained glass look.

Good Job!

Jose

10 October 2004
Haha, if you'd said 90 hrs i might have believed you!. can we see some refs you used to create this wonderful piece of art??

10 October 2004
I'm sorry, I did not use any references, which is probably why I was incorrect about the armor.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread