Family X-mas, Omar Salgado (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Family X-mas, Omar Salgado (2D)

Title: Family X-mas
Name: Omar Salgado
Software: Illustrator, Photoshop

This is a proposal for a wine magazine in Mexico. The theme is obvious since this one maybe published in Decembers issue but I wanted a little bit of black humor here. By the by, the tag attached to the present reads: From: Mom To: Mom. There’s a lot of influence from Bruce Timm and from the regular old-fashion illustration that is made here in Mexico with a lot of texture. The basic figure and composition were made in Illustrator with all the color applied in Photoshop. Half of the texture is hand made and scanned and the other half is rendered with the regular Photoshop filters. When I got the assignment I wanted to change from a photo realistic style to a friendlier one and I wonder if people will understand the not so hidden joke. Tell me what you think.

Old 10 October 2004   #2
this is ok, but the right middle finger HAS to be fixed, aside from the finger.... good work.

Old 10 October 2004   #3
Nice job on the picture. I think you really nailed the feel of those old magazine ads with the colors, the print on her bathrobe and the cut paper look of the Xmas tree. The crooked fireplace and Mama's red nose indicate your skewed sense of humor.

The blackness of the the boy and man's silhouette draws my eyes straight to them and away from Mama, though. Also, there's a violent tone since the boy's hand is raised in a fist and he's going to fight a very surly grownup who can kick his arse. I'd suggest the boy fights with a sister (tug of war over a present?) with the adult trying to intervene or throwing up his arms in disgust. This would be more of a fair fight and would still provide the motive for Mama to start drinking. A sepia shade would be more subtle so Mama can stay the focus of the picture.

Overall, a very nice job.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread