Blade, Kevin Cunningham (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Blade, Kevin Cunningham (2D)

Title: Blade
Name: Kevin Cunningham
Software: Traditional

Kind of the same thing as the Batman image. I wasn't happy with the design of Blade's motorcycle so I decided to do my own instead of just complain about it. The theme is pretty obvious, "Cutting Edges".

Hope you like it,
Kevin

Old 10 October 2004   #2
Really cool design, very slick,.. is this what you do for a living?

I think the pointy bit at the top may be a bit dangerous tho.

Old 10 October 2004   #3
Hey,

Thanks for your compliment, I'm glad you like the design. It's one of my favorite designs, not that I like many of my designs. Hehehe

I'm not designing motorcyles for a living anymore, but if the job requires it, which I hope they usually do, then I do it with a passion.

The piece on top isn't really pointy as it would round off at the top. But I do see your point, no pun intended. Hehehe

Kevin

Old 10 October 2004   #4
la scocca mi sembra corta...
That have opressid me now and then.

One is gone; one is wele sped;
Old Apulyaird is ded.

One is for Maister Bennet Hatch,
That burned Grimstone,

Old 10 October 2004   #5
It seems short?

Old 10 October 2004   #6
Hey Kev, looks great! Nice design!

If I had to give a minor crit it would be that I don't really like how those two blades framing the engine are twins. I would have varied them up. But then again, I've never designed motorcycles before <--my 2 cents...

But at any rate, that would have made an awesome bike for Blade!

Steampunk Myths n Legends

Old 10 October 2004   #7
Hey Digital Bobert,

Thanks for taking a look and thanks a lot for giving me crit, it's totally appreciated.

As for your two cents, 100 pennies equals a dollar right. Just because you never designed a bike before doesn't mean that you can't have an opinion on it. Your opinion is probably the most important as it is probably the most unbiased.

I wonder if I still have the sketch for this bike somewhere? Anyways, in the sketch I had these two arms reaching down from the frame to connect to the lower cowling and it seemed like a nice solution in a few ways. One was as a mounting point for the lower cowling, the second was that it was pushed far to the front and the back of the frame so it exposed and framed the engine nicely, and it gave me a strong focal point if I made those two arms stand out.

It could be that I was being safe or not being as imaginative as I could, but I also wanted to reinforce that this engine was a v-twin which is why I chose them to be identical. In the skecth though, if I had it, those two pieces where at a more extreme angle matching that of the engine. When I refined the design more I thought that they were too angled and it did lose some of that feeling in the final rendering.

Anyhow, I totally appreciate your comment and that you took the time to leave me a message. Your message gave me a chance to talk a little about my design and maybe giving you some insight to how and why I did what I did. Somtimes you have a tendency to go way out there, seems like I do that a lot because art directors are always yanking me back screaming and kicking! Sorry to all those art directors, I was just trying to make it better.

Hehehe,

Speaking of art directors, I hear mine now, gotta go!

Thanks,
Kevin

BTW, I call them art dictators! Emphasis on "dic". I'm bad, jk.

Last edited by kevincu : 10 October 2004 at 05:21 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread