Digital Gigolo

Ryan Bramwell
DIGITAL GIGOLO (GFX Designer; TEN)
USA

Girlpower, Ryan Bramwell (2D)

Title: Girlpower
Name: Ryan Bramwell
Software: Photoshop / Illustrator/ Flash

This piece is another installment of trying to get down the female body in my art. I have been working to get better at drawing the female body as well as design around a piece with a character. I first drew the two together (after countless hours of sketching and erasing...lol), scanned them in, cleaned up the lines then ran them through Flash to get vectorized lines around for a clean look. The coloring of the girls are completed in photoshop and the background was done in illustrator. I am looking for some crit here, especially within the realms of body placement, perspective, etc... I would also like to know what you all think of this style. I was going for a comic/ exaggerated cartoony style with a bit of an urban influence. Please let me know. I need your help in becomming a better illustrator of women. Thanks up front for any input!

Old 09-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
espaki
Frequenter
Nathan Storm
3d artist
Netdevil
Denver, USA

Ryan - it looks good and you have definitely been making good progress as an illustrator.

As far as crits -

I would simplify the stomach/pelvis area. Either get rid of the black lines completely or make them a lighter line weight.

As far as the feet go, they sort of work for a comic book style, but realistically they are extremely small. You may also want to add more curves to the hips/calves

The shoulder areas are a bit strange too. you should keep in mind where the collar bones are and how they move when the arm moves.

The hips seem narrow compared to the width of their shoulders - this might be the style you are going for tho.

Thats what I see right now - keep me posted on any more stuff that you do

-Nate

Old 09-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
og_reborn
full uh beans

Adam Singer
USA

good work man.

Nice style in the coloring style and the background...The color choice is nice.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
beast546
Game Artist/Illustrator

Hey Ryan.

So. I am not much for posting on message boards, so I probably will not be on here a whole lot, but I thought I would register and give you some feedback...

First of all, the illustration is very nice!

I think Nate hit most of the points on the head. Let me see if I can add and/or embelish a little bit. First of all, I am wondering if you got inspiration for this piece from a Danger Girl alternate cover drawing called 'The Bod Squad?' I think that Campbell did it, but I am not sure... the image is in The Art of Danger Girl book. The background and line style are strikingly similar. Just curious...

- Nate is right about the lines on the stomach. I would go as far as to say lose them all together, except for a small indication of the belly button. The shading techniques you have employed around the contours of the body are clean and effective and should also be used to imply the muscular areas in the stomach in place of the line work. With this particular style, this will help to further crisp the drawing...

- As far as the hips go, I feel you are getting the line weight correct and it is working for shape - the hips are looking good - but they are a bit small. I think generally the hips will be at least as wide as the shoulders. This helps to keep a natural balance. The characters seem a bit top heavy (not from the breasts, mind you...).

- The heads feel a little big and don't seem to be resting in the necks quite right. I also think that if you are going to keep the line work in the facial features so simple, you should try and pull in some of your shading techniques to bring the face into more of the 3rd dimention (around the nose, under the lips, etc...). The bodies seem very rounded while the faces feel very flat and cartoony.

- Lastly, as far as the feet go, they may be a little small, but I think it fits the style. What they do need, along with the calves and ankle area, is more dramatic curves. Your hips and upper body are very curvacious, but the lower legs and feet seem to straighten out.

Okay, my two cents. Keep up the good work!

-- Jim

Old 09-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
mindstate7
Digital Gigolo

Ryan Bramwell
DIGITAL GIGOLO (GFX Designer; TEN)
USA

thanks Jim...
The images themselves are drawn from soem pictures I took of some gogo dancers at our last gothic show, clothes and all. I origanally had a really rough sketchy look for them,but I wanted to make these girls overeggagerated in personality and features (hence the big boobs ) You are correct though.. I did draw the background in the style of the Mod Squad by Campbell. I wasn't trying to use his complete look, but I loved the colors mostly and the way the designs were rolled around the girls. Mabye I went to overboard. The line weight and coloring or the girls is a style I have done a lot which personally I am trying to stray from, but it seemed to work here so I went with it.

Now that you mention it thought, the heads are pretty big.....hmmmmm and flat... mabye I should add some more shading like you spoke of.., I also dont like the legs of the blond.. SOmething strikes me as they are to flat looking.. If you want, I can show you the photos on im and mabye you could help me out a bit with them as far as using the line weight.

Thanks a ton for the input...

Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread