Norat, Taron (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Norat, Taron (2D)

Title: Norat
Name: Taron
Software: Photoshop Cs

This image started as a speed sketch and simply compelled me too much to let it end that way, too.
It is my second go at a digital 2d scenario and took about 12h to make.

08 August 2004
Nice Image I like the color tones and the way a sense of space is acheived in the image. I just got my waccom tablet and my digital paintings look no where as smooth as yours. Any tips? or just alot of patience

08 August 2004
Its a nice start Taron. Nice to see you having some extra time to explore the 2nd dimension.
I like the mountain shapes a lot. But their base and the valey lacks definition, also the mist seems to start a bit abruptly from the middle of the valley, maybe it would be better if it had a smoother transition towards the horizon? Don't know, maybe i'm too picky over a 12 hour painting.
Keep exploring! Looking forward to see your next one.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

08 August 2004
Thanx!

Great comments. You're absolutely right, too. I became too busy and too lazy to fix up the valley. I didn't know what I should feel about that picture, but then I played around and cranked up the contrast by playing with a curve and futzed a little with the saturation and balance and within just a few seconds it popped out like that. I really enjoyed the dramatic dynamics in it, although it kicked up the mist in the valley too much, obviously, but I didn't care at the time...I think I still don't quite, because I just like the feel of it overall.... I can tell you what I was thinking about doing before I realized that I'd be spending too much time on it:

....entire village on a slightly lower level by raising the area around it in a grand-canyon type of way only a bit more hill like but similarely dramatic sections like at the canyon. This would also excite the surrounding mountains a bit more. Also, obviously, filling up the town, because I left it completely unfinished when you look at the empty streets to the left of the stream.
More esotherically I thought about a bigger foreground element that shows of some character-detail to fill in even more excitement. But yeah.....stuff....I feel like I have to battle a few other things before I should waste more time on a single image. But I love doing it, that's the danger.

I don't know what common times are on images of that kind. I don't have the nerve to spend a lot of time on a single image, unless it has this incredible meaning that I can't resist and that could keep me motivated. This is also why I want to do things faster and faster, because it allows me to take full advantage of my genuine motivation and intuition.

I do not know either, whether I'm already far enough to give any advices on digital painting, since I feel like I'm just starting myself, while it is what I actually did the longest, but not really as an artist. So now, 17 years after I did my first professional assignment in computer graphics, I feel like I've started painting on a machine just now. But I believe I just started painting, actually.

So, yeah, thanks for baring with me on that, it's a whole lot of fun and I really enjoy sharing it! Screw being silly shy about everything, the work and the images don't get better in some forgotten folder waiting to be deleted by accident.

Taron

08 August 2004
I really like this piece a lot, I saw one of your scenario's in the speedpaint section but love to see how you worked it out here...Your Color scheme is something I like alot and I think your sky is great wit the light/dark transition done nicely, so no real crits here I must say...Keep it up, Im looking forward to seeing another one soon

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread