Before The Battle, Michal Kaleniecki (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Before The Battle, Michal Kaleniecki (2D)

Title: Before The Battle
Name: Michal Kaleniecki
Software: Corel Photo-paint12

I have used some photo reference for girls clothes. Lack of 3d skills stoped me from doing perspective reference in 3d studio which would be really helpfull i think... gotta lern it i guess.

08 August 2004
Wow, no replies yet. Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on your image. Very nice!

Crits;

I would work more on the contrast of foreground, midground and background saturation/detail to help establish composition. You already have it there, I would just try to bring out the foreground a little more.

Keep it up.

08 August 2004
absolutely incredible.

08 August 2004
kalen-
I love the environment and the monochramtic-like color scheme.
One thing though, it looks like her left arm is too long. Or is it just me?
Other than that, nice work.

08 August 2004
The perspective seems okay to me... (It's not perfect... but like you said, never got to use 3d ref... We always have the "analog" ways ... ) I would give a little more detail to the mecks... Besides that...

Last edited by S-m-i-l-e : 08 August 2004 at 11:33 PM.

08 August 2004
I really like the "mood" of this scene... "Something's about to happen!" Nice going...

08 August 2004
I disagree with razzmataz; the way the elements of this picture integrate is a strength, they shouldn't be brought apart. I love it how it is, good job.

08 August 2004
Beautiful. Keep it up and give us more...

08 August 2004
Hi Michal,

Love your image, the colors kinda make it special, giving it a doomsday-kinda feeling, together with the "distorted"(maybe the wrong word here, so forgive me) edges you really crafted a situation that really bears a story, a melancholic one, which would be worth to be explored in words.

Who is she, what forced her to be in the front line, what are they fighting for, against who, are they the last line of defense, are there any odds at all to survive, are there still citizens left in the city, really a lot of thoughts that come to mind, once you look at this pic.

There is however one element which would have been worth to be explored:
Those vessels in the background hovering above the skyline, maybe should have been placed a bit more to the free space next above to the shoulder area of your protagonist, so that more details could be reveiled. Guess with some playing, you could even avoid to lessen the main focus on your protagonist or change the picture too crowded , and turn it more into an element of complimentation. But this would be just an alternative. Really no clue if it would work or not without testing.

Coming to details:

@Razz
Hard to say, it does look like the arm is to long, however the body seems to be a bit contorted and ducked when you follow the torso/chest line of the overall, which makes it difficult to evaluate if the proportions are right, however It does look a bit strange - you could be right there, maybe you should recheck it, Michal.

Another thing that comes to mind when I look at her, are the breasts, they feel a bit strange (in shape - they look a bit too implantant like) as well in combination with the overall, guess the overall fits to close to them (Don't know if you could reproduce this with plain tailoring), which means that it has to be material either like a "neopren" swim suit, however if you ever wore one of them, you would know that they really are a tight thing to wear (once you get into them, getting out of them is another story *sigh*), I guess the breasts would be more pressed against the chest, thus less curves, instead of the prominent look they bear now, which really is not small. ^^ If the material is more silk like, which is kinda suggested by the looseness in the belly region and transperancy in the lumbar region, it would not fit so tight to the breast region. Just an observation bearing an opinion.

However it always can end up being more sophisticated material, that in its design and characteristices fails all comparisons to earthlike stuff.

Keep up your work Michal, looking forward to your next work.

cheers
Solo

PS:
Give me some time to re-activate and re-polish my english language skills, just hope I could make my points clear to you.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread