Cradle, Niels Vaes (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Cradle, Niels Vaes (2D)

Title: Cradle
Name: Niels Vaes
Software: Photoshop

This is a picture I made after watching works from Greg Martin, and Gary Tonge. I never really tried to make celestrial art, so this image is nowhere near the quality of the pro's out there.
I started out with making lots of reference pictures of clouds and looking at the pictures made by the Hubble telescope. After that I used the pictures to make something myself. It was a lot of trial and error and I almost gave up more than once :)
I'm just looking for general critique, if you like it or not. If you think I did ok for a first time and that kind of stuff.

08 August 2004
I cant believe no one replied, this comic picture is so great!!

08 August 2004
heh, well thank you for being the first one to reply

08 August 2004
Great picture. I especially like the planets, they fit in perfectly.

Would make a nice wallpaper, with the left side of the picture being more empty.

08 August 2004
Wow finally a picture with good composition. I was getting tired of seeing work with focus points dead center of the picture. Great piece, the colors are very interesting and it's not a typical nebula shot you'd see in real life which makes it interesting. As for a constructive critique, try adding a bunch of real small stars in the background, to give it more depth, but keep the left side void, I like that.

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by dgpilot: Wow finally a picture with good composition. I was getting tired of seeing work with focus points dead center of the picture. Great piece, the colors are very interesting and it's not a typical nebula shot you'd see in real life which makes it interesting. As for a constructive critique, try adding a bunch of real small stars in the background, to give it more depth, but keep the left side void, I like that.
I once had those stars, but alot of people didn't like them so I got rid of them But thanks for the nice reply

Last edited by neelz : 08 August 2004 at 01:43 PM.

08 August 2004
Thumbs up

Nice celestial artwork you've got there!
Maybe the darkcloud to the right needs some more workout,
some kind of light scattering in to that dust . . ?
But, that's only my opinion. Keep it up anyway!

Cheers, Daniel

www.inetgrafx.com
www.meduzarts.com

daniel@inetgrafx.com

08 August 2004
Tutorial?

Hey, thats really cool stuff! Do you mind talking about the method you used to create that? When you say you "used" pictures, you mean for reference only, right? Did you paint it with a wacom? Maybe show us a little tut (or just me, anyway, cuz I would like to try something like that... always wanted to, but didn't know how!) Teach me!

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by tevih: When you say you "used" pictures, you mean for reference only, right? Did you paint it with a wacom?
well yes and no. Some of it are bits and pieces from an actual photograph, others are painted with either the brush tool or the clone stamp tool. I'm not the best painter (and yeah I have a wacom btw) out there, so using real pictures helped me out here. I have a lot of people asking me how I made it, so I think I'll be writing a little making of.

08 August 2004
thanks! keep us updated in this thread please

08 August 2005
Great space sky.Sublime atmosphere. Beautiful work .

08 August 2005
Wow, blast from the past... but thanks for the comments

08 August 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread