Portrait Of Hanna, Philip H. Williams (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Portrait Of Hanna, Philip H. Williams (2D)

Title: Portrait Of Hanna
Name: Philip H. Williams
Software: Photoshop

A portrait of my daughter... just about to become a teenager...

Painted in Photoshop using a Wacom tablet.

Detail ... Detail ... Detail

Old 08 August 2004   #2
oh i do love that , its a great portait, very painterly feel, wonderful feeling in it, i love composition and loose way of strokes. and the hair, wonderful way to paint and characterize hair ... the only what disturbs a little, and this is maybe just from downscaling and jpg compression, is her necklace. it looks kind of flat. thanks for sharing, this is very motivating to me

Old 08 August 2004   #3
Really nice man. You've improved a ton in the years I've known you online.

Old 08 August 2004   #4
Each portrait you paint gets better and better. I adore the texture and it's variation between her skin, t-shirt and hair. The way the background compliments the subject is wonderful, too.

Wha-? All in Photoshop!? No Painter? OMFG

Old 08 August 2004   #5
Great job, I really like it. You really captured the wrinkles on her shirt beautifuly. The only strange thing that caught my eye is the necklace, it seems a bit off, it higher on one side than the other. This only caught my attention cause my sister has these kind of necklaces and they seem to be hard to wear at that angle.

Beautiful lighting and good job catching the proper shodows!

Old 08 August 2004   #6
You seem to have an eye for textures. Good job I like this portrait very much

Old 08 August 2004   #7
Thumbs up

love the detail shots

Old 08 August 2004   #8
Its a great portrait

I don't usually like digital portraits. . .somehow when its a kid you'd like to see something more "human" than digital usually implies.

This has great feeling and a sense of personality. Nicely done!

My only critique is to think about the color saturation throughout. On my monitor, anyway, the background is very saturated, as is the subject. You can push focus to the subject by desaturating the backdrop a bit.

Old 08 August 2004   #9
Great Work

Hey Philip, you may or may not remember me, I was on the Sijun forums for a while. I got the wacom tablet like you told me and have just started getting back into photoshop, drawing, painting... Enough about me, I like this piece a lot personally, I have always looked highly on your work and attention to details. Very good composition, color usage works very well, gives it a pretty evenflow through the whole piece. Color variations and shadows look great. Two thumbs up Philip. By the way I am still a huge fan of your Sci-Fi art work from your site... Brilliant stuff

Old 08 August 2004   #10
Thanks for the crits and comments...

The necklace... Boy, I wish it were not there, but... Hanna has worn it - that very one - for the last six years, 24/7. The only time she has had to remove it is when playing soccer. The coach said it would be dangerous. Sooo, it is pretty much a part of her persona at this point. I'm wondering how many more years it will last... :>

Old 08 August 2004   #11
Fresh and nice!

My 2 D Challenge-The Journey Begins-

Old 08 August 2004   #12
this is a very nice painting. the colors you've chosen are soft and realistic. did you take a digital photo of her for color picking, or just match it by eye?

will geddes
graphic design | advertising
portfolio

Old 08 August 2004   #13
I took about 50 pictures and picked several to work from. I don't use the color in the photographs. It's generally not the best color to use. I start off with a normal skin color and then make changes and adjustments as the portrait progresses.

Old 01 January 2006   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread